wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, that sounds bad. Even though I have my touch disabled while I'm working on the glitch, when I had it enabled it worked fine. Windows 8 was actually kind of awesome with a touch screen, I have to admit.

2. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,

One thing I noticed after using my tablet extensively for drawing work is if I remove the Wacom drivers the glitch happens WAY less. This tells me that it still may be fixable with a new wacom driver update. The problem is, I doubt it will ever get updated. I'm sure Fujhitsu is getting ready to release an updated version of this laptop in the fall. I hope I'm wrong about getting it fixed. It's still the best solution for an artist IMO at this point in time.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

PLognark, I just need a recap, cause I realized I may be confused here.
    Are we still considering that the packet burst you witnessed is the cause of the glitch? But we have ruled out that it is the fault of the USB hub? Or are we saying that the firmware from Wacom may be causing the packet burst? Just trying to figure out where you stand on the previous information we found.

4. Plognark

1) The packet burst/duplication is the actual glitch.

2) I think, with very high confidence, that it's being caused by bad code in the firmware.

Exactly what triggers the error from the firmware is questionable though. It could just be simple bad code, which seems most likely based on all of the firmware debugging I've been reading up on. This is more from the perspective of someone writing new firmware for open source devices.

I've noticed that the glitch will have a bit of a delay before it really kicks in. This has lead each of us to post here with great joy that the glitch is gone, until it comes back five or ten minutes later. I wonder if that has something to do with the digitizer buffer getting filled up, but that's just speculation right now.

It's also possible that it could be a power issue; a voltage drop to the digitizer could screw something up, but I haven't found any evidence of that yet. On my system I have nothing else on that hub, and when I've fully disabled power management I've still gotten the glitch with perfect consistency. It's possible that it's thermal throttling, but I kind of doubt that too. The cooler I got for my machine knocked the temperatures down into a very manageable range, but the glitch doesn't seem to coincide with any thermal fluctuation.

One thing that might be screwing us up is that the USB data goes both ways; this means that some drivers may work better than others with the glitch in the firmware. It depends on what and how much data is being sent back. That's the kind of stuff we can't see without a protocol analyzer.

I read up on Wacom's SDK, and that's going to be a dead end. I'm not interested in signing a non-disclosure agreement that would make me legally liable if I post any of my findings on this forum :)

Anyway, I finished up my final commission last night, so I can actually crack open the tablet and take a look at the digitizer hardware. Getting a look at the chips on the board will be a good start. I'll take tons of pics :D

5. Plognark

I agree that Fujitsu is unlikely to fix this on their own.

What was the procedure you used to remove the Wacom drivers? Did you retain pressure sensitivity after uninstalling them? Well, pressure in photoshop, that is... we know that some other software uses the windows pen drivers, rather than wintab.

6. Tab Rocker

I can confirm that uninstalling the Wacom drivers more or less solves the glitch for me. I get it about 2-3 times in a 4 hour span if I'm drawing heavily. It's practically gone. Actually I haven't experienced it today yet. Before I was getting it every 20-60 seconds What I lost was the fine tuning for the pressure in the driver itself. In Sketchbook It still maintains good pressure but triggers a thicker stroke with less force. Since I apply a lot of pressure when I draw I had to re-adjust my technique slightly. Try it out. You have to go into your control panel and uninstall the Wacom driver that came installed on you computer. I think it's the one that's called ISD something... It asks you to restart your computer after you uninstall. I just noticed pen pressure is gone in PS and Mischief...so that's a bummer, but frankly, I do most of my work in SB pro anyway. I use PS for fills and setup work. If I can figure out how to fine tune the pen a little more without the driver I think it's a closed case for me. This tells me the Wacom drivers have something to do with it.

7. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW, I've sent the USBPcap logs to the Fujitsu rep I'm in contact with, and he forwarded it to the engineering team. Hopefully they'll make more sense of it than I could...

8. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

@Tab Rocker
    Are you using Win 7 or Win 8? AFAIK Win 7 does not come with any generic drivers for Wacom... I'd be interested to see how your devices are laid out in Device Manager and how Windows identifies the Wacom board in particular, and which driver files it's using.

[​IMG]

9. Tab Rocker

Thanks for the images. I went to that area and do not see 'Wacom Device'. Probably because I uninstalled it? In the control panel I still have the windows 'pen and touch' and 'tablet pc settings' available to do my calibration. These are the built in drivers that have been around for years going back to XP. Strangely, the pen feels even more responsive now. It could be my imagination. So far today, no glitches.....

Untitled-3 - Copy.jpg

10. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you double-click on the second "USB Input Device"? I'd like to see which drivers it's using.

I might have to end up buying and switching to SBP too...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.