wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wow. This is getting hardcore. Your definitely a mad scientist!

Firmware is certainly a good place to check, but in theory if you discovered the bug in the firmware, would you or someone you know be able to hack and modify the thing? Is the firmware update for the T902 that Fujitsu posted the one you will debug, or the original Firmware?

I am learning a lot on this thread, so I'm all for exploration and further experimentation. Your resolve is seriously inspiring!! But don't break the bank if it's not feasible. I gotta admit the fact that someone would finally be able to document taking a Fujitsu T902 apart would thrill me in itself in case I ever get the guts to replace the thermal paste on my own. Thanks for your time and investment man, if its any consolation, IF this works I'll pay half of that protocol analyzer ($100) with an e-mail money transfer (or paypal) to how my gratitude.

Did you ever get the opinion of that local tech group you had mentioned going to an evening a while back??

2. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

Work has been crazy, so I haven't had a chance to get over there yet. There's a possibility that they might have a USB protocol analyzer; that's the kind of group that would pool resources to get a contraption like that. Hopefully I can get over there next week.

Compared to unlocking bios or dealing with driver signing, modifying firmware is a piece of cake. The hard part is just figuring out what it's doing since it's 100% hardware dependent. The hardware will have very limited memory, and data is literally captured and sent directly to/from the pins on the chips.

I can't actually find a 'stock' firmware version for Wacom digitizers. I guess that's probably because they're custom ordered for each client. This particular version isn't the original that came with the T902, so they've tweaked something in there recently. The versioning between windows 8 and 7 is a little different, so I guess I can do some file comparisons and try to see what's going on.

3. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

@Plognark
    Wow. You are persistent! My gut feel is also pointing to a problem in firmware.

My next step is to go that route. I just bought a spare notebook hard drive and will be installing WinXP and several Linuxes on it. I'm hoping to find a way to dump the firmware directly from hardware to see what I can get out of it. Luckily, because there are several firmware versions already available (1115, 3033, 3035), I might be able to compare them to figure out what's changed internally.

Edit: Okay, got WinXP installed. Yup, the glitch happens there and just as frequently; not sure why I didn't notice it before. Putting Linux on now to do the firmware dump...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  4. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

@Plognark
    I am also willing to chip in to help pay for the equipments that you need to solve this problem. At this point I have lost all my confidence in Fujitsu fixing this problem. The reason is that Two weeks ago I sent in my T902 for a RMA repair to fix an erratic touchscreen problem. I also requested that they look at and fix the cursor glitch. Yesterday, I got my T902 back. The touchscreen is fixed, but the cursor glitch remains. Thank you and jan_c and all the others for your persistence.

5. Plognark

Yeah, it's a really odd glitch, but it's shown up in everything that we've tested.

I did some file comparisons on the firmware installer to see what's different between them, and even went crazy and tried a win 8 version on win 7 to see what would happen.

The differences between those three versions aren't huge, but there are definite changes. When I ran the win 8 version in win 7 I lost X axis but kept Y axis, and there were other crazy quirks too. I'm sure that's just the OS drivers interpreting different packet data from the different firmware versions though, so no big deal, but it was amusing :)

I think that the firmware is just stored in a bit of flash memory, which is good since we can update it right from the OS and don't have to drop to boot mode every time we want to change it. Could be wrong, but I would think that would make it more plausible that we could get a direct dump of the firmware itself.

I can't tell if the installer code is encrypted or not, but I haven't spent much time on it yet. They're easy to break down if you just run 7-zip on the exe files; they're just self extracting installers. ~650 K each; that's not too much to deal with! I've been looking at the files using a hex editor plugin in notepad++.

Unfortunately the USB protocol monitor was gone from ebay before I had even finished typing, but that's ok. I'd rather check with the hackerspace to see if they have one I can use before dropping a chunk of cash on something like that.

Another option I thought of was to call up Wacom and see if they can provide an unmodified firmware updater. The files in these installers are all marked with Wacom copyright info, so they're definitely not something Fujitsu coded up. I imagine they work similar to how my company works with iPhone app vendors; we give them basic security and configuration data, and they build the binary and give it to us. I wonder if Fujitsu has to put in a request to Wacom every time they want an updated firmware build...

Anyway, I'm reading up on how to extract more info from the installers. Once I learn that I'm gonna start hacking toasters and stuff :D

6. Plognark

I appreciate the offer; I'll try to do this without incurring too much cost!

Unfortunately large companies like this don't have a lot of incentive to fix a glitch that only affects a small subset of super-users. The money they make off of us is miniscule compared to large corporate bulk purchases, so they're always going to focus on the needs of large customers first.

If I wind up taking my T902 apart to look at the board for the touch screen I'll take tons of pictures. I have a commission I need to finish ASAP, so I won't be able to do that for a couple of days, but once that one's done my schedule is clear.

7. stoneseeker

Did they tell you what they did/what was broken?? Was it a hardware issue?

I dont use touch, but I also hav the erratic barely useable touch screen issue. Perhaps I shoul get it taken care of while Im under warranty. Would like to know what they fixed.

8. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

They did not tell me anything: no e-mail, no documents in the return package, nothing. The only physical thing I noticed about my repaired T902 is that the screen protector is gone. One thing you can test, to see how severe your touch problem is, is to try drawing a straight line, using your finger, within a art program. After the repair, I have no problem with touch, even with a new screen protector (Photodon, MXH Semi-anti glare) applied.

Some useful info for sending your T902 in: Fujitsu paid for the shipping and it's through Fedex. The length of my repair is around two weeks. The location I'm living at is US, California, so your repair time might be different.

9. Plognark

They probably just swapped out the screen then. I'm sure they get dud hardware from time to time. Good to know though, thanks!

10. stoneseeker

I think my touch screen is definitely dud then. I need it for work too much to send it right now but thats good to know. When touch is enabled if I just hold my finger onthe screen it registers as a bunch of touches erratically and skips around under my finger. I cant draw a line with my finger, just a bunch of dots. It was working perfect when I first received it however, so something I think dislodged in the back or a connection is loose...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.