wacom's newest tabletPC driver issues!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

This seems to be the thread to talk about the periodic pen lag glitch on the T902 - so I'm reporting in with my experience with the newer Wacom driver (7.1.0-8) from the Wacom site.

Unfortunately, I've seen no improvement on the random glitch issue with this driver. I do wonder if there is some kind of background process that is interfering.

Also I've seen the ballooning memory use you experienced with the ISD_touchuser.exe process, stoneseeker. Though I don't think that is causing the glitch - since even when I close that process the glitch problem persists. Still, that memory use is insane and wasteful.

I'm running on factory installed Windows 7 Pro. Has anyone that upgraded to Windows 8 had any better luck with these issues?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Shog, you ever get a chance to try your scorched earth approach??

I am wondering if it has something to do with a hardware interference. My touchscreen has almost completely stopped working in a functional way. It is useless for dragging something, the touchscreen just registers a thousand tiny random clicks int he general vicinity of my finger when I hold it in one place.

Anyone else get this? Especially when you lay it on a desk and don't touch it wiht your other hand??

3. SpiralMagus

I haven't experienced that bad of a problem with the touchscreen so far - but I'll keep testing and see if it comes up. Maybe it is slightly unresponsive sometimes but nothing like you described.

As for the pen issue - I might try a clean install of Windows 8 this weekend and see what happens if I keep things minimal. Probably better to do it now rather than after I've installed all kinds of stuff and got settled into a workflow.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stone, I am waddling on doing the scorched earth action because I was trying to get Win 8 on the thing, and I'm not sure that Fujitsu has all the drivers ready to go for Win 8. I was going to wait until they ship a Win 8 version of T902, which would mean that they would have proper Win 8 driver for clean install on their web site.

5. stoneseeker

gotcha. Thanks for the update.

I think it's at least safe to assume that if it is a driver conflict, that it is probably a Fujitsu specific driver... which brings me to wonder: Is there any NEW drivers that were written just for the T902 that wouldn't be on any other Fujitsu tabletPC? I wonder if the T732 has been having issues like this... if it doesn't have the issue, it would have to be a driver specific to the T902 unit only. Maybe the drivers are far more customized then I realize anyway which would mean that it doesn't help us narrow it down at all...

What does the Fujitsu mobility center extension utility do for instance? Can I remove that??

6. stoneseeker

So I did a bit more poking around other forums for anyone else who may be experiencing wacom driver confilcts, and found out that quite a few people had experienced driver conflicts with the windows tablet PC service and simply turned them off under services to get rid of lag and weird behaviour. Since the symptoms sounded similar, I thought I'd experiment adn try the methods described below:

Tablet PC Input Service conflicting with Wacom driver?

I did, and I have to admit their was a night and day difference with responsiveness and smoothness of stroke, also I no longer saw the cursor flickering in adobe programs from the little microsoft driver "crosshair" to the wacom arrow. The drivers had been clearly fighting for control of the pen before, but now don't. It jumps around less and seemed to be the root of the problem.

BUT then once in an hour I saw the pen stop, lag and catch up like before. So there is another driver conflict specific to Fujitsu causing that occasional glitch, but it seems to be perhaps compounded with the driver conflicts between microsoft and wacom, as disabling it vastly improves the stability, much like uninstalling my cintiq 15x driver vastly improved the experience but didn't all together solve it.

obviously I can't keep the tabletservice disabled as it is important for returning my screen to its proper orientation so I don't have to do it manually, and the pen input panel is quite handy sometimes.

Just thought I'd share. It's weird how I'd never heard that trick before. Definitley a good trick when you are experiencing problems using an intuos where you don't need the tabletPC features.

7. SpiralMagus

That's a cool tip about the Tablet PC Input Service - thanks for pointing that out. I've now upgraded to Windows 8 and I don't even see that service active so the setup might be different under Win 8.

So yeah - I did a mostly clean install of Windows 8 Pro yesterday. I say mostly clean, because I didn't actually wipe the C: drive. But the new Windows was installed fresh in a new folder, not keeping any old settings or drivers.

I stepped through the driver installation process slowly so I could see what might cause pen conflicts, following the list for Windows 8 64-bit (in the "PCs purchased with Windows 8" section) on the Fujitsu download site. When I got to the digitizer driver early on in the sequence (version 7.1.0-3), I immediately checked for the pen lag glitch. After drawing for a while, it happened. So it may be something conflicting with the drivers / extensions that come before that in the list.

At that point I went ahead and installed everything else and made sure things were functioning well. Aside from that occasional pen lag glitch the Windows 8 experience has been good so far. Touch is vastly smoother and more functional under Win 8 overall. The OS in general feels a lot snappier too.

Another bit of good news - that memory-eating ISD_touchuser.exe process is nowhere to be found. It may be that Windows 8 handles all touch services itself, rather than needing the Wacom driver for touch. I think the digitizer driver mainly installed Wacom pen functionality, as there is no separate control panel for Wacom touch anymore.

I might give the digitizer driver on the Wacom site a shot under Windows 8 but I'm not expecting it to fix the pen glitch, and worried that it might complicate things more than necessary.

Overall though I'm glad I upgraded to Win 8.

8. stoneseeker

This helps a LOT to know. We can eliminate all the drivers that come after that digitizer drive on the list then. I wonder if its Fujitsu button driver, or the device utility. I really hope its not the BIOS driver. That would be a permanent problem unless they decided to patch the BIOS.

Anyone know of how to assign the Fujitsu display monitor to auto-orientate the screen if tabletPC service in disabled? (or another method? perhaps 3rd party software) I love the smoothness and lack of glitches while working with only the Wacom driver instead of the windows , but its a pain to have to switch orientation manually, and the auto rotate button stops working when you turn off that service. I could live without the pen input panel, but not auto rotate.

9. jan_c

jan_c Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I'm experiencing the exact same "cursor lags then chases stylus and repeats strokes" problem on my T902 running Windows 7 (x64), and it seems worse on my machine, happening every minute or so!

I've doing some investigation on my end, and in trying to eliminate variables, I suspect it's a software (driver) issue.

On a separate partition, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 (amd64) and installed the latest input-wacom driver (0.16.0) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/input-wacom/. What do you know; the cursor is working fine over there! I drew in MyPaint for a good 15 minutes, trying to make fast strokes and other repeated actions that might trigger the lag/chase bug, but it never happened. That's good news, that it's not a hardware issue.

Next, I will try installing Windows XP (since I'm much more familiar with it than Windows 7), eliminating as many drivers and services as possible, to see what happens there.

I will also try disabling the touch device in Device Manager (it's one of the 5 "HID-compliant device"s, just gotta figure out which). Maybe the touchscreen is picking up my hand (even though I wear an inking glove), and since both pen and touch route through the same Wacom bus, it could be messing with the driver.

10. stoneseeker

Well, there is an easier way to switch off touch. Besides disabling it in the windows control panel under "tabletPC settings" you can also go to the services.msc and disable the "Wacom ISD touch service" and "Wacom professional touch service" by right clicking and going to properties. I rarely use touch for anything, so I also disable these just in case it is causing issues.

In windows 7 and 8 there is now new digitizer firmware available for download on the support site. Have you tried installing that yet? Shog reported that the switch to Windows 8 has made it far less frequent of an issue, and we suspect it may actually just be the update in firmware rather than the new OS that fixed things.

Odd that you experienced it so frequently. What program were you using when it happened so often? Was the CPU being pushed hard when it happened? Did you have any other wacom drivers installed? (like intuos or cintiq) at the same time?

Good to know for sure it's not hardware. I wonder if it is a Fujitsu-specific driver conflicting with things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.