Wacom's new pen tech start to spread (up to 15" devices)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey @surfacepro, In case you haven't seen them while traveling, I have posted a few different posts & pix of the Encore 8" in the forum starting on page#3 with more coming.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ba-encore-2-wt8-b-encore-2-write.63815/page-3

If any of my Encore 8 evaluations are useful to you in your articles including the pix you are welcome to use them. I appreciate your blog and its service to the tablet / artist community. I do not need or desire attribution.

And to this forum:
    The pressure sensitivity of the Activetech pen seemed surprisingly good to me. Especially in MS5 which has in-app pressure curves. I can believe it has 2048 levels when I use it in MS5. I have written elsewhere very critically of some of Wacom's other products, in particular their Intuos Creative Stylus 2 (for Ipad) which claims to 2048 levels but feels like 10.

The Activetech pen sensitivity in PPT( MS ink), One Note and even Skecthbook Pro is fine but those programs don't allow the extreme range that MS5 does because of the customization and controls for the tools in that program.

I have not tried to do any general system hacks of the pressure curves. But I do think some general tuning could be in order and could improve the pen even further.

JoeS likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the offer Precurve. Your great reporting on the Encore 8 has been making me feel inadequate. ;-)

Precurve likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hell, I don't know. Too many models, cryptic names and different devices and nothing is clear. EMR/AES/Feel/UD, and that one where you can draw with a pair of freakin' scissors, but I don't know if it's Wacom or not...

The Toshiba model I'm thinking of is the new one featured at CES in a few videos with the Wacom stylus which takes a AAAA battery and everybody is worried about the activation distance being (maybe) less than 5mm.

Now that I think of it, it may have only been a 10" tablet.

Precurve likes this.
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes that's the Encore Write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Seriously. If there are tablet industry people, hardware or software, that are trolling the TCPR forums you all need to understand that the enthusiast experts here can't even figure out what you are really peddling. You all need to get your marketing and your product design people to agree that these things need to make harmonious sense and be authentic in practice. Not just capture some segment through some hype and promises and dilution of meaningful brands. This is true for Wacom, Autodesk, MS/OneNote, and all the pc manufacturers including iOS ecosystem.

The branding / trademark people have run amok. If you all are marketing and selling tablets and pen computing systems and you are not actually using them, personally, on a daily basis, to improve you life, then you are wasting time and financial opportunity. Its not just some niche market of crazy digital artists. There is a lost generation of digital native students rising in the ranks now trying to figure out how to use these mandated devices as real note taking creative tools and systems. The enthusiast artists just happen to be the canaries in the coal mine.

Drawing with scissors...yeah I saw that bit of marketing genius.

/rant

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  6. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with you completely.

Precurve likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.