Wacom's new pen tech start to spread (up to 15" devices)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi

last year when microsoft announced the Surface Pro 3 with Ntrig they raised a lot of questions about chosing Ntrig over wacom , and they answered that in their AMA (the short answer is that the Ntrig allow them to make a thinner device )

and fast forward to this week CES 2015 , and we are seeing devices with a diffrent wacom tech (similar to Ntrig ) , the First device is the Toshiba Encore 2 Write , and in this video you can see how accurate it's when writing Japaneses letters

and the other 2 devices are the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14" and 15" , both of them use the new waom tech (the new 12" version use the old wacom stylus like the previous 12" thinkpad yoga S1 )

and this the he advantages of the new wacom tech from lenovo forum

" - The ActivePen in the TP Yoga 14 & 15 is, in fact, Wacom.

- Prior tech uses unpowered RF in the pen. This RF is changed subtly depending on whether the button/s are depressed, or on some pens, the 'eraser' is being used. This RF interacts with the field produced by the digitizer in the glass panel, which is also required to poll the position of the pen tip some finite number of times per second. It was described to me as a loop system. All of this requires that the panel be a bit thicker, which adds weight. It also induces some minor parallax distortion, which can be seen in how closely the the 'hover' point matches the position of the pen tip. Finally, because there is a polling process running, if you try to draw a line very slowly, you might observe 'skips' in the drawn line. Drawing quickly doesn't result in this (I tested it).

- Enter the new ActivePen tech, which is powered by a AAAA battery. This allows some of the pen tip position determination work to be removed from the digitizer glass, specifically (I think) the polling process. That, by itself, makes it possible to draw very slowly with out inducing 'skips' in the drawn line (again, I tested it). It also allows the panel to be a bit thinner, reducing weight. This does require the pen to be a bit thicker / heavier, but to my hand it felt quite comfortable, and certainly worth the increased accuracy." the quote from lenovo forum end here.

I think with this new wacom tech , wacom have a better feature in mainstream devices . it make things easier for OEMs and for consumer (thinner devices and better pen for writing )

P.S / this thread is from a user who use active pen for note taking not for art.

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I haven't been keeping up with this new Wacom tech. They are battery powered and digitizer layer is thinner, that's as much as I know.

But the old UD pens still work? Did you try any other Wacom TPC pen on it?

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. alisaad619

the new wacom tech is similar to Ntrig , just with more pressure levels and maybe better accuracy .

my current device is Thinkpad yoga which have the old wacom tech , I also ordered the new Toshiba Encore 2 write for my brother , so soon I will have the opportunity to compare the old and new wacom tech to see what is better for note taking (I'm not an artist so I can't compare it's art performance )

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Oh sorry. I thought the "I tested it" in brackets were your statements!

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

5. alisaad619

that's a quote from lenovo employee in the lenovo forums

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Actually part of the quote from the Lenovo forum is missing. This is what Nate Sarbin said at the end: "Finally, just in case anyone wonders, the ActivePen from the TP Yoga 14 & 15 does not work on the TP Yoga 12 (or Helix or Tablet 10). Likewise, the pen from the TP Yoga 12 doesn't work on the 14 or 15 (tested)."

darkmagistric and ron2k_1 like this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I take the TPY 14/15 and Write pens are compatible, right? I dunno why, but the 8in Toshiba has me tempted(though everything is telling me to wait for the next gen Atom). Maybe get the TPY 14(if battery life and display pan out well) and pair with the 8in Toshiba? Hmm

8. alisaad619

I don't know , maybe the new wacom pens will not be compatible with each other (like some Ntrig pens )

9. alisaad619

try to get one device if you can , switching between devices is not good (for me)

and if you want to wait why not wait also for the next gen intel (skylake) , they will be out by the second half of 2015 , there is always something better around the corner and you will wait for ever , as soon as you find a suitable tool just get it and use it for it's full benefit and potential.

10. alisaad619

it's a "Quote" , it's not the full replay , only a "quote"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.