Wacom's Dual-Protocol Bamboo Stylus coming soon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kvoram, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As per my earlier post, the model number CS321A is definitely a Bluetooth-enabled pen, so that button and signal LED are certainly for that:

Sometimes I think Wacom lives in their own bubble, where they continue to think they don't have to worry about these things. I also think in the past few years we have mainly Microsoft to thank for bringing the pen into the mainstream even though imho it shoudl have been Wacom as they had the means and potential to do so but they seemingly can't get their heads out of the sand and seem to rely on their market lead to be carved in stone forever.

sonichedgehog360, Steve S and Tams like this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks so much for uncovering this info, @kvoram. I'm curious why Wacom would choose six month confidentiality on some of the application's documents, such as the pen's external photos. Hopefully, the pen will be available long before September, 2017.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since FCC filings can happen months before a product launch, it is a very common practice for almost every major manufacturer to keep the "juicy" parts of the FCC filings under wraps. Documents like external photos, internal photos, test setup photos, manual etc., basically everything that shows details, is usually being requested by the manufacturer to be confidential for 180 days.
    Mostly only small companies choose not to do so, maybe because they don't care or don't have enough experience with the FCC rules.
    IMHO, it makes a lot of sense, because unless pseudo-accidental leaks are part of a marketing strategy, any manufacturer usually wants to control the flow of information leading to a product launch/announcement.
    I must say, I don't know any other certification body where as much information is publicly available, but admittingly my knowledge in these things is also superficial.

Last week, Wacom also published their latest business reports, but sadly there are no details in there regarding product developments. They mention their continuing work on the dual-protocol pen but no new details or a timeframe for release. There are also no hints at upcoming products like a potential Cintiq 27QHD successor etc.

On June 7 in connection with CES Asia, Wacom will again host one of their Connected Ink events, those events are basically marketing events where Wacom is courting potential future business partners:
    http://connectedink.wacom.com/events/shanghai-2017
    Hmmm, I could have sworn that a previous list of the speakers included someone from Microsoft, now it's only Wacom, E-Ink and Fujitsu.
    I am not sure how much the dual-protocol pen is relevant to Wacom's component business. It would be interesting to know if the N-Trig license that Wacom bought from MS would allow them to offer that to their own partners. Would be nice to have a bunch of different dual-protocol pens in the future.

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Here are more leaks trickling in as launch day fast approaches. I did a little more digging into the CS-321 and I uncovered some accessories that appear to accompany the product at launch. At a quick glance, there appears to be stylus nibs, a nib kit, and a USB charger that will be available for purchase to complement the CS-321, the latest addition to Wacom's Bamboo line. Looking more closely, one of the product listings for the USB chargers (the very last link below) specifies a May 31st expected availability date, which may very well just be a placeholder release date–or this could be the actual release date!

For your convenience, I noted the manufacturer part numbers for these upcoming accessories by listing them below. It is clear that these are legitimate manufacturer part numbers because Wacom has used the ACK prefix in the past for other accessories and parts, such as for these nibs (click on each listing's individual page to see its individual part number below the button "Add to Cart"). All in all, there are exciting times ahead when there is a plethora of accessories also popping up to compliment this product. This here is further evidence that Wacom is thoroughly investing themselves in this new product sub-category.

Possible release date:
    May 31, 2017

Manufacturer part numbers and UPC:
    Stylus nibs for CS-321: ACK23016 / 4949268791519
    Nib kit for CS-321: ACK42416 / 4949268791328
    USB charger for CS-321: ACK43017 / 4949268791533

Miscellaneous sources:
    https://www.five4u.com/accessories/input-devices/62407/wacom-stylus-nibs-for-cs-321 (cached)
    https://www.centralpoint.nl/niet-ge...lus-nibs-for-cs-321-art-ack23016-num-7315547/ (cached)
    https://www.five4u.com/accessories/input-devices/62396/wacom-nib-kit-for-cs-321 (cached)
    https://www.centralpoint.nl/niet-gecategoriseerd/wacom/nib-kit-for-cs-321-art-ack42416-num-7315549/ (cached)
    https://www.five4u.com/accessories/input-devices/62406/wacom-usb-charger-for-cs-321 (cached)
    https://www.centralpoint.nl/apparatuurtassen/wacom/usb-charger-for-cs-321-art-ack43017-num-7315551/ (cached)

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    kvoram and Azzart like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...a USB charger that will be available for purchase to complement the CS-321...>>

...A USB charger...?!?? Hmmmmmm.....

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Just so everyone is aware, as of Thursday, the pen now can be preordered at Best Buy. Interestingly enough, there is no estimated date of availability shown.

7. surfaceproartist

The pen I pre-ordered Thursday still shows as "coming soon." But I just received a shipping notice. I suspect the pen was embargoed until Microsoft announced its Surface Pen.

8. surfaceproartist

Pen has shipped and will arrive Saturday. It still shows as coming soon online, but a Twitter follower from Shreveport just tweeted a shot of the pen she was able to buy at her local Best Buy. It wasn't officially on sale yet but must have been sitting in the warehouse.

Another reader got word from Wacom that the new Bamboo Ink will be officially announced May 31.

COGBABY likes this.
  9. Steve S

For everyone's information, my local Best Buy reports that the pen is in stock and that there is no "street date" (i.e., a release date), so the pen can be purchased now.

As a side comment, it would be ironic if the nSP pen ended up making this pen ultimately irrelevant...???

10. Steve S

Picked up a dual-protocol pen over lunchtime. I won't be able to test drive it until this evening, but a few observations about what's in the box:
    • First of all, kudos to my local Best Buy guy (Mervin). Nobody could find the pen until he personally went to the warehouse and made them find it. I know we all complain about service now and then, but Mervin really went to the mat for me!
    • The pen come in a standard-logo Wacom box, so be sure to check the product number (CS-321) in tiny, tiny type on the side of the box. Wacom makes more than one pen, and the boxes all look (superficially) the same. Seriously, Wacom needs to think more seriously about differentiating their packaging and naming because right now, it invites confusion!
    • The Wacom box contains the pen (black), a AAAA battery, a neat little slid-open box (about 1" x 1-1/4" ??) of nibs and some paperwork (which I haven't looked at, yet). The pen and box come carefully wrapped in cellophane for protection. The Wacom box is nicely laid out and everything is very well protected in a plastic tray.
    • The pen is very nice. It is black with a "soft-feel" silicone-like coating. Even without the battery installed, it has a nice"heft" as you hold it. The barrel has a mildly-rounded triangular shape that fits well in the hand. The shape will position the two-switch rocker switch just under your thumb, if you are inclined to hold it that way. The pen comes with what appears to be a black, hard-plastic nib installed. The top of the pen is a little strange. It is shaped like a flat disc, with a tiny bevel on the edge. It looks more like a button (to be pressed) than an eraser (which is what I assume it's supposed to be). At first, I was afraid that it was metal, but upon careful examination I now think it is plastic... I think... If this disk cap does in fact have an eraser function, it's a poor choice of shapes, IMO! For access to the battery, the top of the pen appears to come off in exactly the same way that the SP4 pen does. As noted elsewhere, the pen appears to have BlueTooth capability. Overall, this pen looks very promising to offer a good or maybe even better inking feel...!
    • No magic about the battery; it's a standard Duracell.
    • The little box offered an initial bit of mystery; it appeared to be hinged to open but a closer examination revealed that it actually slides open. So don't be fooled! The box contained three additional nibs, in different shades of gray that are undoubtedly different hardnesses, much like Microsoft's own Nib Pack. I did not see a nib tool (might be with the paperwork) so I don't yet know if they will be hard to swap in and out of the pen.
    That's all I can report for now. More after I've had a chance to use it...

Last edited: May 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.