Wacom's Dual-Protocol Bamboo Stylus coming soon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kvoram, Jan 4, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, the Wacom Dual-Protocol pen that was first mentioned at WinHec in May 2016, looks to be relased sometime soon. Wacom has announced that they are putting the final touches on it:

Wacom Putting Final Touches on New Bamboo Stylus that will Support Both Active ES(TM) Pen and Microsoft Pen Protocols
    TOKYO, Japan—January 2, 2017—Wacom Co., Ltd announced today that the company is developing a new stylus capable of using both Wacom’s own Active ES™ Pen protocol and Microsoft Pen Protocol.

The new stylus, which will be released under the Bamboo brand, is the first result of collaboration between Wacom and Microsoft based on the licensing agreement in March 2016. Incorporating the two leading pen protocols, the stylus will offer the broadest compatibility on the Windows market, enabling users to alternate seamlessly between multiple pen-equipped devices with a click and tap into ink applications including Windows Ink.

Styli have continued to gain popularity, amid growing recognition of their potential for improving productivity and creativity with mobile devices. Targeting this market, Wacom has since 2014 shipped its Active ES Pen solutions for a range of OEM customers. Microsoft has been actively promoting ink with Windows devices and this culminated in Windows Ink in 2016, where styli play a primary role for creating and manipulating content. Both companies concur the potential of digital ink and pen have in store for us.

“As more devices come onto the market equipped with styli and a broadening array of ink solutions emerge, it is vital to stay focused on the customer experience. The new stylus can be used seamlessly across devices, enabling the user to take advantage of digital ink solutions such as Windows Ink,” said Mike Gay, SVP in charge of Wacom’s Consumer Business Unit.

Wacom announced the establishment of Digital Stationery Consortium, Inc. in October 2016, which aims to promote the wide adoption and market development of digital stationery under an open partnership, harnessing the power of digital pens and digital ink, to serve creative minds in the most natural and intuitive way. A single stylus which can unify two different technologies fits this objective.

Wacom and Digital Stationery Consortium, Inc. will jointly host the event “Connected Ink Las Vegas” on January 6, to establish digital ink as universal, open and smart content format by promoting and managing WILL™ (Wacom Ink Layer Language)-based ink formats.​

Source: http://wacom.com/en-us/about-wacom/news-and-events/2017/1211

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@kvoram I'm going to have to put you on the SurfaceProArtist payroll. How does 50% of nothing sound? :p

3. kvoram

Done, let's seal the deal with a toast [​IMG]

WillAdams likes this.
  4. surfaceproartist

I tried to reply with a toast, but this was the closest emoji I could find. :thumbsup:

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

kvoram and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. surfaceproartist

That pen is only the Huawei MatePen. I think the last Active ES pen released in 2016 would be the HP Active Pen with App Launch.

The link from Windows Central is nice. I neglected to attribute @kvoram who actually broke the news here. I promise to do better.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

http://notebookitalia.it/wacom-bamboo-stylus-windows-ink-24752

Wacom optimizes the Bamboo Stylus making it compatible with both the Active ES Pen with those protocols that Microsoft Pen, then also usable with most Windows devices.

Wacom has announced that the company is developing a new digital pen model that will incorporate both protocols Wacom Active ES Pen and those Microsoft Pen . The new pen, which will be released under the brand Bamboo , is the first fruit of the collaboration between Wacom and Microsoft established following the signing of the license agreement signed in March 2016. This stylus, incorporating the protocol of the two leaders pens, offer the maximum compatibility with most Windows devices on the market and will allow users to toggle a single click and without problems using multiple devices with pen, as well as to take advantage of all the different ink applications such as Windows Ink.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm watching the video demo of these new Bamboo styluses, but nothing I'm seeing suggests any active digitizer capability:

Can somebody explain how these are supposed to work on N-Trig (or even AES) screens? :confused:

10. kvoram

That's because that video has nothing to do with the Dual Protocol Pen, it's a video from 2014 showing some old unrelated products...

nnthemperor likes this.