Wacom Support says Windows 10 April Update fixes selection issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by WillAdams, Apr 30, 2018.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They do not say what is solved.
    But I can not approve based on the last insider release I have.

3. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Windows 10 April Update on my Galaxy Book. Pen selection in Microsoft Edge is still scrolling.

I applied the reg hack “reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f”

This seems to have fixed pen selection for some apps like Microsoft Word 2016. Microsoft Edge still unchanged.

If there are other pen selection hacks, let me know.

4. WillAdams

Thanks. I'll hold off then.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was feeling adventurous today and decided to install the 1803 Spring Creator's Update (on top of my 1703 build) with the Windows Update Tool. The KB4093112 & KB4089848 are automatically downloaded and applied using this method.

At first, the default behavior was still pen scrolling for some apps. Good news is Windows Explorer seems to have reverted back to pen selection, so you can at least manipulate/rename files like normal.

This is normal since MS Modern apps override pen behavior by default, so Edge does not use the OS setting. People have been clamoring over in the Edge Developer thread for a setting to toggle off pen scrolling, but for now it looks like Edge is stuck in finger mode.

However, after applying the registry setting via Powershell (Admin):

"reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f"

all the non-Modern apps I've tested now behave as normal for pen mousing. Note, Chrome still requires the "Direct Manipulation Stylus" flag to be set, as I outlined here.

So @WillAdams, overall things are looking good. :) I'll be testing my penheavy graphics workflow over the next few days and will report any problems here.

stormi and WillAdams like this.
  6. WillAdams

The thing is, I need a consistent interface --- I had a consistent interface when I purchased my machine --- Microsoft shouldn't be able to cripple my interaction with the machine unless I choose to accept that option.

Selofain likes this.
  7. WillAdams

Well, somehow my system managed to update itself, then when I tried the registry edit it didn't work to restore drawing and pen functionality in Macromedia Freehand, and I found selecting text in Microsoft Edge clunky beyond words --- let's see, it used to be:

- click, drag, release to select

In the "improved" version it's:

- double-click
    - click-drag-release to set the size of the selection
    - if need be repeat

Then reverting resulted in an endless loop, so I had to reset.

Whose idea is all of this and why do they still have a job and why hasn't it been fixed yet?