Wacom Smart Bamboo (AES) for 2-in-1 Devices went live...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dceggert, Jun 8, 2016.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm sure the pen will work. The only question is whether the Feel driver will recognize the tablet as a compatible device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome, thank!

I've basically narrowed down my choices to the HP Spectre x2 or the Elite x2. Still maybe considering the Dell Inspiron 15 2 in 1. Given the Spectre x 2 is maybe a bit older, and the Elite is listed on the wacom site as being compatible, I think that might make my choice a bit forced for the elite. But They never seem to have floor models that I can test on out here.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for doing the review --- typical of my luck that I own the only device the thing isn't compatible w/.

Wonder if it would be possible for Wacom to make it compatible w/ a driver update.

I'm seriously tempted to try to dismantle both my pens and swap the internals.

4. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I'm debating seeing if I can swap nibs between pens to get the soft wacom nib on the dell pen.

5. surfaceproartist

Yes you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Great to know, in the event that I go with the Dell, I was hoping to find something similar tot he felt nibs on the surface pen, so if I can swap the bamboo nibs in that helps avoid the need to buy a matte screen cover.

7. Dweam

Dweam Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of curiosity, did you get to test this out with the elite X2? I was able to test it with the Dell 2 in 1, and the Spectre x2, and found it worked great on the dell, and not so great on the spectre. I am guessing that is because the spectre is maybe of an older iteration of the Wacom digitizer as it basically had no hover distance, and I found the hover distance with the dell pretty near identical to the hover distance of the actual Dell Wacom pen.

I also noticed that stokes with the pen were not properly smooth on the spectre, but it felt great on the dell. Even doing slow diagonal lines on the dell didn't have a lot of jitter like I've seen on the surface or other devices. But the Spectre basicaly made wild amounts of diagonal jitter.

Given that the wacom pen says it is compatible with the elite and not the spectre on the wacom site, then I assume the elite might work closer to the dell in performance.

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yes, this pen works like a pen should on the X2 1012. In all fairness the HP pen only worked for me about a month and then started behaving badly. This Smart Bamboo has about the same hover distance as the HP did when new. The only drawback is the HP Pen for the X2 has an app launch button on it like the Surface pen where the Smart Bamboo does not. Time will tell if this pen suffers from the same corrosion issues as the HP pen does. So far I am enjoying my machine once again.

Compatibility with this pen and the X2 1012 is a double thumbs up!

kvoram and surfaceproartist like this.
  9. thundergodz

thundergodz Pen Pal - Newbie

10. surfaceproartist

No the pens are incompatible technologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk