Wacom One - New Affordable 13inch Pen Display with S-pen EMR

Discussion in 'Artists' started by darkmagistric, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What kills me is there are no bezel buttons AND no multi-touch, and only one button on the pen. Dang, man! I could handle no multi-touch if you got programmable bezel buttons, but having neither is like going back in time. Lots of programs are just not capable of being used properly without either.

WillAdams and Cuberdon75 like this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Um......................... I'm going to keep quiet about you liking MPP and that upside down laptop episode. ;)

And you're still not Wacom's target market for the Wacom One. I certainly don't consider you a "beginner" artist.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Even my POS Envy 17T had multitouch!!! >_<

BTW, I think multitouch is even more important to sell to beginners than pros.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My ex-wife had multi-touch but I wouldn't wish her on my worst enemy.

More seriously, I can see what you're saying as most young kids now are growing up with touch interfaces but I don't think any of the Wacom competitors have touch (except the new Gaomon I believe) so Wacom are keeping to a form of budget.

darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The lack of Multitouch is jarring in many ways. For many younger kids and teens.....who have been raised on touch centered iOS and Android.....they will never feel comfortable transitioning to a pen tablet without touch. Even for us old timers....multitouch has had such an effect on my workflow that I can’t do without it anymore. In Clip Studio Paint....l use the single finger panning, and pinch zooming/rotating so much....I just can’t not have that anymore. I never use my Cintiq 21ux anymore primarily because it does not have touch....even Photoshop I stoped using because it’s multitouch isn’t as useful as Clip Studios. And hardware/express keys for those roles aren’t nearly as intuitive.

However....Wacom’s stance on multitouch (aside from being initially massively overpriced) is weirdly on par with the Chinese knock off market....(Huion, Artisul, etc)......,,literally so many Wacom competing devices.....yet barley any have multitouch. I’m in the market for a replacement for my 21ux.......and I was looking at trying one of those 3rd party competitors.....sadly almost none of them have touch.....and the few that do have pretty poor reviews.

the lack of multi-touch for pen monitors is even perplexing when you factor In that virtually every Windows PC now has multitouch, as do most all in one devices. Clearly multitouch is no longer as expensive to implement as it used to be.

but...the Wacom One, and the Cintiq Non-Pros....,are clearly Wacoms response to the 3rd party options more then anything else. Until they start putting multitouch on everything....I somehow doubt Wacom will change their current stance.

WillAdams, Shogmaster and Cuberdon75 like this.
  6. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been thinking similar thoughts. Why is multi-touch so slow to trickle down? It's not a particularly sophisticated technology at this point.

Bosto seems to have started to implement it, but looking at Huion, which with XP-Pen is clearly the leader in the Wacom clone industry, it seems the priority (for this year? for the next couple of years?) is moving beyond 1080p resolution, not multi-touch.

7. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Easy Canvas on iPad lets you hook it up to a PC and touch DOES WORK. I tested in both Affinity Photo (I dropped Adobe recently) and Clip Studio paint.

Touch is huge for me and a big time saver and one of the reason's I'll take devices with worse specs as long as they have touch.

WillAdams and Cuberdon75 like this.
  8. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm excited for the Wacom One pen to be released separately. Since the Wacom One is cross-compatible with a range of EMR pens, might the Wacom One pen be cross-compatible with other EMR devices?

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It’s supposed to be compatible with all Tablet PC EMR pens. So the Samsung S-Pen, Zbook X2 Pen, Stadelier Norris Pencil, etc.....should all work on the Wacom One and the Wacom One’s Pen should work on the others as well. Technically it should also work with older EMR pens....but given the change in the nib assembly and IAF.....using old school EMR pens might not work as well. I can attest some of my older EMR pens are downright useless on newer EMR machines. However since the Wacom One Pen is missing the backend eraser.....I’d still give the advantage to the Zbook X2 pen as the best pen to get......provided Wacom didn’t block out the eraser functionality completely from the Wacom One......which is something they could do if they wanted. I have the Lenovo Lt1423p pen/touch monitor.......which uses tablet PC grade EMR.....It will recognize any EMR pen....but not any backend eraser.

WillAdams and Lilawyn like this.
  10. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got my review up here. I liked the device. It performed really well.

WillAdams, Cuberdon75 and Lilawyn like this.