Wacom One - New Affordable 13inch Pen Display with S-pen EMR

Discussion in 'Artists' started by darkmagistric, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wow... as the 16-inch Cintiq Non-Pro surprised all of us....Wacom seems to have gone a step further.

Wacom introduced today the Wacom One

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/wacom-one

In a Nutshell its a 13-inch 1920x1080 res....72 NTSC Color.....no Multi-touch Pen display......but its only $399......Wacoms cheapest Pen Display Yet.

But a few new wrinkles.....I noticed a blurp about being able to use 3rd party pens on it..... I'm like what?......Apparently this is not using the Pro Pro 2.....but rather the current S-Pen/Zbook flavor of EMR.

Also....its Cintiq styled functionality......now works with Android. One drawback....instead of just having USB-C handle everything....the device uses a 3 in 1 cable....HDMI, USB Type A, and Power. There is however a USB-C adapter (extra charge?) that connects it to a Cellphone....and a separate Battery Pack to power it. (it should have had a built in battery in my opinion)

It has the same Leg style as the Cintiq 13/16......but a new twist....the nib remover and spare nibs are now housed in the Leg slot.

I have to say I'm somewhat more interested in this device then the Cintiq Non-Pro line.....both the 16 & 22 inch non Pros both have the same 1920x1080 res....which looks ugly on those screen sizes (especially the 22).......a 13 inch display suits that res way better. Also....since it uses Spen-Emr......this could be an interesting secondary display to pair with a Zbook X2, or any of Samungs S-pen devices......since you could use the same pen on both. If this had Multi-touch....I probably would have already purchased it before typing this thread.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

At least this Wacom One is compatible with the old Wacom One (CTL-672) unlike the Bamboo EMR pens that were not compatible with Bamboo tablets and the Bamboo capacitive pens that were not compatible with anything. I kind of expect them to release a Wacom One pen that's not compatible with the Wacom One display.

wytn likes this.
  3. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Man if this thing had touch I'd be... so so happy. After my experience with Monoprice and XP pen I'm ready to go back to Wacom...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah. No touch is no bueno. I don't mind then reusing UD digitizer for cheaper consumer device but why kneecap the touch off of it?

I could see this thing with touch being successful but when you can get iPad and Apple Pencil for same money and you can attach it to your PC or Mac via Sidecar or Astropad, it's a loser as is now.

neongolden and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well...you actually can't attach the iPad to a PC, can you?

I suspect that's the point of this device. Something for non-Mac users.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While both Sidecar and Astropad require MacOSX......Duet Display would connect an iPad to a PC. I found it somewhat laggy and expensive.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's Lisa. Unacceptable brightness levels for starters

8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But you're not the intended market.

From what I've read / seen - Wacom's strategy is splitting the graphic screen tablet market into 3 sectors - beginner (Wacom 1) hobbyist (Wacom 16 and Wacom 22) and Pro (Cintiq Pro) market. As a professional you should be pleased Wacom want to sell you pen and touch 4K panels for $2500 or thereabouts.

Go to about 1:56 in the video. Mann does witter on at times but it's a good review.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Shogmaster

Astropad lost the reason for being on Macs. Do you think they will roll over and die or try to service PC owners of iPad users?

10. Shogmaster

Mann even liked that one $200 crap Android tablet with sh*t digitizer pen but at least that thing had multitouch....