Wacom Nibs

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jhoff80, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So first of all, the nib review mentioned in the FAQ points to http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=30065 which is a dead link.

With that being the case I have a couple questions...

Flex nib: can anyone give a description of this one?

Secondly, Wacom doesn't seem to sell the older black softer felt nibs anymore. They only sell the light gray "hard felt" ones. Are these comparable in feel and durability? I preferred the softer felt ones last time I experimented, but they wore down so fast, so now I mainly use the stroke nib, which doesn't quite have the same pencil on paper feeling, but reminds me almost of those gel pens.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the nib review...>>

j: I've reported the broken link; hopefully Frank will be able to fix it.

Regarding your felt nib questions, I have no direct comments; I bought a few packs of nibs years ago and have been living on them ever since! Like you, I find myself using the stroke nib or the black felt nib most of the time...

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thread seems gone. Must have gotten accidentally deleted, an admin tries to recover it, maybe he's able to, else the short conclusion is written in the Tablet PC FAQ.

There's a close up of the pen nibs:
    [​IMG]

I don't recommend the flex, it's just like rubber, and you can't write with rubber on a LCD.

I also only tested the grey felt nibs, so can't comment on the difference between black and grey.
    I personally use the grey ones, they are softer than the default plastic ones and not so wobbly like the stroke and you can write with them unlike with the flex nibs.

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  4. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

What is the difference between the flex and felt? Which one has more friction such that it can imitate the pencil-on-paper feel? LCD screens are too slippery, even with matte finish screen protector.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

yep, I use black felt nibs exclusively but go through them pretty quick. They are usually available all over Ebay. I can't say how they compare to grey though, never new they existed.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I use and love the Flex pen nib since I used the S-Pen on my ATIV 500T. It gives a bit of traction and control which is sorely needed when drawing directly on the glass.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. gmang

gmang Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the standard ones on the intuos surface, but on the sliding surface of the cintiq I don't find it comfortable because with the lack of friction my arm gets very tense to feel I control them. The stroke nibs (more suspension) really make a difference for me over the glass. They just feel so much better.

I don't like the hard felt (don't get the soft touches right with it) nor the flex ones (this one I just don't understand it).

8. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

To everyone who is looking for the link mentioned in the OP, here it is:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...l-you-ever-wanted-know-about-tablet-pc-s.html
    I think the administrator should pin this thread. It is really helpful and informational.

A lot of people are talking about the flex nibs, which are "made out of some rubber" and "hard to write with". So does it mean that it has way too much friction so that you cannot easily write it on screen, even on a super slippery one?

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use the Flex nibs on my S10 Eraser Pen. Love the feel for note taking. I use them with a Matte SP on my M80TA. At least I did before I lost my S10 pen.:rolleyes:

10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I think flex nibs are like surface pro 4 pen nibs. Can you confirm this? are you using SP4 pen on your surface 3. I wonder the material that forms the tip of SP4 nib is felt or rubber. In case you are using Sp4 pen can you tell where are you sourcing your nib replacements.

I like the resistance that material is giving me on sp4 screen. I was too thinking to put on a flex nib on my Galaxy note3 neo. Has any body tried it? Changing Note series Spen nib with Wacom flex?