Wacom next generation active pen (gen 13) , 4096 level of pressure + tilt + universal and more

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I have my doubts that higher polling rate will solve jitter problem without a higher density digitizer grid over the LCD.

Utan-chan likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You may be right, @Shogmaster. The higher polling rate may actually introduce more jitter on a coarser digitizer grid, which a smoothing algorithm will have to interpolate.

Utan-chan and Shogmaster like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

With Wacom putting so much stock in specing out these new pens, I'd hope they would at least ensure certain performance standards were met in implementing them. Unlike the hit or miss history that plagued EMR from OEM to OEM.

4. Shogmaster

Theoretically these new pens should be backwards compatible with existing touch digitizers that support pen input. It would just require a new driver update to accept additional tilt data from the pen.

Unfortunately without a new finer grid digitizer, jitter problem would still exist.

I also expect the pen battery life to be shortened.

Utan-chan and alisaad619 like this.
  5. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

wacom gen12 and gen11 were not compatible with each other, so I think there is a huge chance gen13 will not be backward compatible

6. Shogmaster

That was done on purpose by Wacom, but this time there should be a concerted effort by those involved in this initiative to make the new pens backwards compatible with older tablets. That's what they are basically selling us with these press releases anyways.

In theory, tilt feature can also be worked into older tablets. It's simply additional data that gets passed along to the computer. The digitizer board does not have to get involved at all. Pen collects the tilt data along with the pressure data, and passes it along to the computer via the pro cap touch panel.

MS has been adamant about keeping the new accessories work with older device after the whole controversial Wacom to N-Trig transition after SP2. I think they will insist this is also the case with the new Wacom produced pens. That doesn't necessarily mean that the older tablet will also get the tilt feature as well with these new pens, but I don't see an obvious technical reason preventing it.

Utan-chan likes this.
  7. alisaad619

Microsoft can't tell wacom to be backward compatible since they have nothing to do with devices that use wacom panels , there partnership is only to create a dual protocol pen for microsoft pen program panels (but they have nothing to do with wacom panels)

it's possible that it will be backward compatible I'm just skeptical because of what we got from wacom in gen11 and gen12

8. Shogmaster

If you are talking about Wacom panels then no, MS has no leverage. But the ODMs that uses Wacom panels do have leverage. Lenovo for one will be pressing them hard to make that happen.

9. alisaad619

OEMs don't care , they are actually the reason for incompatibility between Wacom AES tablets and pens from different OEMs ,they don't care about backward compatibility (or compatibility between different OEMs) because they want you to buy new stuff and from them , but Microsoft (OS makers) and Wacom (pen makers) are the two who want a common standard

I seriously doubt it but I hope that they are compatible with current wacom AES tablets/2in1s .

10. Shogmaster

They don't want compatibility between ODM devices, but they do want the better pen with new features for their own devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.