Wacom next generation active pen (gen 13) , 4096 level of pressure + tilt + universal and more

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

one thing I love about EMR for note taking is that it response to the lightest touch , but that still doesn't make me prefer EMR since the parallax is the more important part that made me prefer AES

I really hope that they improve the initial force needed to activate gen13 pens , would make AES 100% better than EMR (for note-taking)

I also expect a battery life hit with the 240Hz and tilt detection , hopefully we still above 6 months

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Parallax and edge accuracy issues always make accessing the File menu or close gadget a crapshoot on EMR devices.

Utan-chan, alisaad619 and WolfHauser like this.
  3. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah - totally. I hope that we do see a pro line with said features - things are definitely looking up! Wacom generally seem to understand the needs of their customers so I'm excited to see what they come up with. We're getting there!

I think I'm just venting as it feels like we're frustratingly close (really doesn't seem that difficult to just add button customisation + hover click) to having that perfect device! As you say, it's probably an attempt to unify things and make them simple for the average user. Kind of wish that we were trusted to be able to tinker...

Hopefully they'll sort out jitter too with AES - it's quite noticeable on the ThinkPad.

Basically I just want to sit down with them and give them a list of tweaks that would really make me and (probably) other artists very happy ;D We talk about it a lot at the office (first world problems)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The additional polling should help jitter a lot but software smoothing may still be up to individual devs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alisaad619 likes this.
  5. alisaad619

some companies abandon the power users after they succeed with mainstream (like Apple ,mac pro + pro apps) but I don't expect that from wacom and microsoft since they forever catered to the power users (and still go after the mainstream)

I think jitter will be a lot less of a problem with the next gen (I'm not sure but I think the 240Hz should help with jitter )

this time I think wacom got 2 things through its head , 1- now there are serious competition . 2- they are near a breakthrough of pen technology to the mainstream .
    because of these 2 facts wacom need to be on there top game now ,they can make it big or they can get beaten by the new competition .

the small bits of information that we got really made me optimistic about wacom (and this is not easy because of there failure with the current gen of wacom AES with the compatibility issues )

2 more things made me optimistic , displaying pro features (like tilt and 240Hz) and then displaying multiple designs of there pens , this tell us that they get they are getting into a big market that require multiple designs to satisfy different types of people

6. WolfHauser

WolfHauser Pen Pal - Newbie

That's really cool - you're getting me excited too! Personally I really like the pen and pencil look of those two prototypes. Really dig that blend of old and new media. It didn't smack of apple to me really. I don't really like the look of the apple pencil (the floppy nib is a bit weird) but to use it's generally really nice - feels pretty natural and that tilt shading feature is just lovely to use. Having that in the wacom with that pencil look and some side switches could be a real winner.

Although I wonder if side switches may be better suited to the intuos/cintiq style pens. I've been using an intuos all day every day for so long it's hard to use anything else in terms of comfort.

I agree - it seems like a really good move by Wacom so well done to ntrig and MS for giving them a kick up the bum.

alisaad619 likes this.
  7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Figures that it would take a certain bitten fruit company to wake up Wacom like this! At least now we know what's in store for the Cintiq Companion 3, if they feel like making a third generation.

As for side switches, I EXPECT two of them and an eraser end to boot. Been using an Axiotron Studio Pen/UP-911E for years, and with my recent Cintiq Companion Hybrid purchase, I'm enjoying the bundled Pro Pen. Even the stock Fujitsu pen on the T5010 up through the T902 (maybe T904 and T935 too) has dual side buttons and an eraser!

It makes the pen experience on my Note 4 a bit more irksome because there's no second button or eraser (which are totally supported in Clover Paint and most penabled Android software), but any conventional Penabled/UD pen, UP-911E included, has too much offset when tilted. That's not good on a device with confirmed tilt sensitivity!

Something's changed just enough in Samsung's implementation that you need pens specifically designed for the Galaxy Note lineup for the cursor and nib to line up properly, as Wacom's own site suggests.

8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Sadly the T904/T935/T936 pen is a toothpick with a single side button, but of course it supports the excellent T5010 pen and other Wacom tablet PC EMR pens.

I doubt anything changed, except Wacom didn't put the calibration information about other pens in the firmware. The firmware recognizes which pen you use and compensates for each pen's offset accordingly. The only reason for the Galaxy Note devices to not recognize the offset of different pens properly is if this calibration information has not been included in the firmware.

I'll be glad to say goodbye to calibrating pens, or wondering which pen works with which device. The universal stylus should have been here a decade ago, with the widespread adoption of capacitive touch displays. Better late than never.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh something changed alright...the Nibs! The Nibs on the Note line and some of the Last few EMR Pens (TPT10) use much smaller nibs. The EMR Board beneath the screen isn't registering the nib itself, but the mechanism the nib is recoiling into in the pen barrel. The earlier note devices probably had it roughly in the same spot in the pens barrel as regular EMR pens, much like the small S-pen like toothpick pens used by Lenovo in the TPT2, but with more recent Note devices, they're deliberate moving it down the pens barrel closer to the nib. Thats why when you hold a old EMR Pen perfectly vertical over a Note device, there is no offset, only when you write/draw and hold the pen at an angle does the offset become apparent.

10. alisaad619

BTW Wacom have released a special pen designed for Samsung newer note devices that solved the offset problem

http://amzn.to/1XbdXsI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.