Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

2 quick questions peeps:

1- Does the 13 inch suffer from flickering too?

2- how easily does the new etched glass get scratched? Anyone thinking about getting a screen protector?

2. mumbowumbo

mumbowumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't answer about the 13 but I've been drawing aggressively on my 16 (with an older pen as well as the new pro pen 2) and haven't noticed a single scratch. On my companion, I'd usually see one or two tiny scratches so this screen seems far more scratch-resistant. I wouldn't advise a protector tbh as I think it would further cloud the screen which already has a slight texture on it. I'm also not sure the protector would be able to capture the smooth drawing surface feel you get with the mobile studio's screen surface. You're paying for a premium device that is designed to be used as is right out of the box.

Even when the Companion got a bit scratched, it was never unusable regardless. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been using the MSP 13 for more than a month and no scratches. I don't see any flickering either.

4. Stalio

Stalio Illustrator

I'm using a screen protector on the MSP 16 without any problem.

5. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Good to know no scratches. Are you guys using the plastic or felt tips?

And I usually keep the brightness of my screens pretty low, thats why I worry about flickering. Can you guys with the 13" test whether you still have any flickering in low brightness with the current updates?

Alayna likes this.
  6. Alayna

Alayna Pen Pal - Newbie

After a couple e-mails back and forth, Michael at Wacom support confirmed that both the MSP 13 and 16 both use PWM. That's probably why the 16 flickers, so I assume the 13 will too =(
    waaah.

kvoram likes this.
  7. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

Theres a few youtube videos and blogs depicting how to take them apart. I've taken apart both my cc1 and 2 using that to replace components, working on the msp pro 16 atm, I've gotten half the screen off but there seems to be some mythical part holding the rest on since theres no way anyone could get screws in those area lol.

Anyone else attempted?

*Edit* FIGURED IT OUT !! w000t!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you taking video, I'd love to just get the i5 version and upgrade the RAM myself.

9. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, for now pics, I need to get some epoxy though, cuz the way this comes off it clumps, and u gotta be SUPER careful cuz the tinier portion is so thin it can easily bend if you're not careful, Imma get a couple tools, I already did one side and now the other has 2 small patches, I only noticed this since the device gets so hot on the exhaust end that the rubber parts start to fall off, and stick back after it cools down lol.

I see the heatpipes and the CPU area, so the SSD/Ram should be there as well. I"m running Crystal disk really quick to verify if this is NVME or not, since I'd love to swap out this crappy m.2 given its like the lowest on the market, not to mention the RAM timings are horrible for this , like wacom seriously went for the lowest options/bidder.

artistebot, Jayjapanb and Alayna like this.
  10. drawingjames

drawingjames Pen Pal - Newbie

Hows the paralax when you have a screen protector on it? is it still unnoitceable and better than cintiq tablets?

thanks