Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. KennyJenkins

KennyJenkins Pen Pal - Newbie

The regular sized one, since it had to fit the 16.5" tablet. theres a removable hardshell area at the bottom which is nice too for cords and stuff.

2. VagrantTrail

VagrantTrail Swarming Colors Metastasize

Sooooo..... How about an update for those that have been using the MSP on a daily basis.

Is it working for you or not?

3. Brashen

Brashen Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried a bit of sculpting today need ti get used to the fact of not using a keyboard. But all in all its fine, the sculpting is ok as long as you dont zoom in too much, touch is as ****e as ever, ive no idea whos at fault here for that.

Capture.jpg

Koryand'R and dv8nathan like this.
  4. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

So how do you toggle displays on the MSP 16?

A 2nd monitor, connected with a USB-C to Displayport cable, the pen defaults to the 2nd display.

I can't find any option to toggle which display the pen is on.

I also tried to do some work anyway on just the 2nd display, but quickly had issues where the pen would switch back and forth between the MSP display and the 2nd display after each tap on the screen.

EDIT 1: Updating the driver seemed to help this issue.

EDIT 2: Hmm, another issue, some top menus won't expand in MODO. Some buttons won't expand when clicked.

EDIT 3: I found a way to switch monitors, but it requires going into the Wacom Tablet Properties, then Pen, then Calibrate, then change the monitor. Though, if Windows Ink is on, then it's buggy after switching back to the MSP 16 until I toggle Windows Ink on and off.

I then updated to the latest Wacom Driver, still no options for 2nd display.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. Brian123

To add to my video with the flicker. My replacement still flickers at 0%

6. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty sure in the Wacom tablet properties you can setup a hot key for screen swap.
    I have that on my 24HD at least.

7. Brian123

That's the thing, it's missing. No display toggle in the choices for both express keys and on-screen controls. There's no option to set how much of the MSP's screen will be used for the 2nd display, or to preserve aspect ratio.

The only place you'll find the 2nd monitor is under the pen's calibration tab. There, it will have the monitor option set for the external display. It also lets you launch the calibration screen on the 2nd monitor, which makes no sense.

It's like Wacom assumed no one would connect an external monitor to the MSP and left these features out. I know when I used my 27QHD, I set an express key on the remote to toggle to another display, no problem.

8. ApolloJoe

ApolloJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.. thought I'd share some of my user experience

I have the top spec model, 16 i7 16gb etc

Pros:
    Love the way it looks, quality of build
    Screen ratio (now all my menus and tiles are to the edges, I have more actual working screen real estate
    the general hardware and presentation

Cons:
    light scratches ALREADY on the metal even with careful use as its brand new and I like to take care of my things but this is annoying.

Coming from a Mac user, I really don't like the software on this, (WIN10) it is refreshing, but not refreshingly good. - unrefined user experience

heat - the hand I use to draw, gets sweaty... because of heat at the exact location of where my palm usually sits
    battery life is crap.. no way near what its claimed unless you have everything turned off and on low settings? meaning dull screen and compromised performance

LAGGY PHOTOSHOP.. after a few hours of sketching, with about 7 layers, of just brush sketching, not even painting, it starts to lag, becomes unresponsive - could be a PS issue, but I've allocated the power to PS under the settings and it still happens.
    At the moment the USB issues, have to buy adapters for everything which aren't too readily available for the time being.

its quite heavy

Fan noise - argh using photoshop and background running chrome with a couple of tabs open..

my home set up is a 2012 macbook pro 15 + cintiq 22hd touch.. I bought the device because my macbook is now making a lot of fan noises and general age is making it slow after 5 years of intense abuse, using VRED, ALIAS 3D, Photoshop, various background apps etc, this old macbook is still superior, OUT OF THE BOX!

out of the box with the windows 10 is just endless amounts of tweaking around

I would like to keep it because it fits everything my needs for at the moment

9. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I inquired as to the availability of stands and cases and the rep told me it's looking like March now.

VagrantTrail and darkmagistric like this.
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This is the biggest flag for me. I paint heavy large photoshop files for work primarily. Have you tried messing with photoshop performance settings regarding the GPU? Is it faster if you unclick "use GPU" ? How much scratch disk are you allocating? What are your advanced performance settings, and have you checked to make sure that PS is recognizing your dedicated GPU and not the onboard intel? Is the CPU getting maxxed out while running photoshop and throttling from heat over time??

I have the same feeling you do, regarding the old reliable laptop comparison. My T902 can take anything I throw at it in stride (as long as its not 3D) and even many desktops lag behind it when painting... no way a $4000 machine made for painting should be worse than a 5 year old business convertible at art.