Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Yes from wacom. They upgraded shipping because of stock glitches. Will be setting it up tomorrow!

2. MartinNH

MartinNH Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, been following along here for some time and finally got the new Mobile Studio Pro 13" I7 512GB. Haven't had much time to work with it yet, but my first impression is very good. It feels noticeable smaller and lighter than the CC2 (which I also own), and best of all it's much less noisy. The fans are still noticeable, but ambient noise drowns it out and my wife doesn't complain about it :p

The etched screen feels nice, and the pen is great. Paralax is very low, and the improved sensitivity is very apparent. I think the touch input feels more precise as well, with for example touch in photoshop being much more useable now.

I've installed the Adobe CC applications, Zbrush and some other stuff so I'm gonna give the new device a run for it's money.

If any of you have any questions about the device, let me know :)

Attached Files:

kvoram likes this.
  3. mumbowumbo

mumbowumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

Further update on my MSP 16's issues:

It looks like the performance problem may be limited to Clip Studio as Photoshop runs quite a lot faster than it does on my Companion. It's likely a software issue the Clip Studio team will want to iron out. I did file a support ticket with them.

I tested a 3D game that ran 60fps at an absurd resolution. This thing is definitely a 3D powerhouse!

I contacted Wacom support and they were concerned about the intermittent black screen/power downs--they may indicate a hardware problem... I'll continue testing.

4. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

@mumbowumbo:
    Since the tablet has a Quadro, can Photoshop run in 10bit (30bit) mode? That's assuming the display supports 10bit.

My 16 512gb order shipped yesterday morning, standard shipping. Expected to arrive 12/7, hoping sooner.

Going to have to sell my Vaio Z Canvas.

5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Regarding stands, I just got this today and have only had a few minutes with it, but so far, so good:

"Avantree Quality Adjustable Laptop Bed Table"
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A81FBQS/

You can see in the product photo that it's much wider than a laptop so as you can imagine the MSP16 fits in there quite comfortably. It is both height and tilt adjustable, and that little bar on the bottom keeps the MSP from sliding off.

It's just narrow enough that it can fit in a recliner or on a sofa cushion while still being large enough for the MSP. With the height adjustment you can use it seated or put it on a table and use it standing.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although it's kind of already been confirmed....can you double verify that the CC2's stand does work with the MSP 13. Does it clip onto the bottom as easily and seamlessly as it did the CC2? and do all 3 of the stand levels hold up the MSP under arm pressure?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    dv8nathan likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For all you lucky new owners of the MSP, would any of you guys be up to installing a couple of hardware info utilities?

1) AIDA64 - this will generate a detailed hardware info report.

Install and run the "Extreme" version trial -> Report menu bar -> Quick report (all pages) -> HTML -> Save To file. After it finishes (takes a few minutes), please upload the resulting HTML file.

[​IMG]

The HTML has a specific listing of component details and a preliminary performance comparison to other high-end hardware.​

2) HWMonitor - this will generate a graph of CPU load vs Temp (vs Fan speeds if detectable).

Download the 'zip' version and run -> Tools menu -> Logs -> Start Recording (F5)

[​IMG]

Now open Photoshop/ZBrush (or whatever program you use) and draw with a demanding brush. Try to get the machine to go through the full range of fan speeds.

Afterwards, go back to Tools -> Logs -> Stop Recording and it will automatically generate a folder of graphs. Please zip those up and upload them.

These graphs will give rough indication of system load and temps, allowing you to understand the cooling behavior and performance.​

Thanks a lot! And happy drawing on your new unicorns! :D

DaniJoy, stoneseeker and kvoram like this.
  8. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

9. MartinNH

I just checked, and no it doesn't fit. On the CC2 there's two rather big holes where the stand fits, on the Mobile studio pro, theres' no holes. So they changed the design which I hope is for the better :)

Attached Files:

• pro.jpg
      pro.jpg
      File size:
      414.4 KB
      Views:
    Art_N00b likes this.
  10. MartinNH

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't, since the form factor of the Mobile Studio pro is smaller.

Btw, I just did an unscientific comparison between the two when working in photoshop, and the fan noise was much, much less annoying on the mobile studio pro than on the CC2. The fans on CC2 is much more aggressive, and spins up and down constantly when working. On the mobile studio, they're constant and doesn't spin up and down during normal use. The ambient noise almost completely drowned it out. I did notice that the fans can make a bit of noise though, but only when I was heavily downloading stuff from dropbox, while installing programs and browsing. So all in all a very big improvement. The screen looks great and the low to no parallax is nice.

kvoram likes this.