Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Lukas.

Lukas. Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey! I'm planning on ordering a mobilestudio pro soon, but I'm not sure which would be best to run multiple Adobe CC programs (photoshop, animate, and after effects mostly). The high end 13 inch or low end 16 inch? The high end 16 is too expensive unfortunately.

2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Going to pay it off right away.

3. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it me or has no one in the U.S. (unsponsored of course) recieved a unit yet? my amazon pre order still has no solid date yet.

4. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered mine from Wacom on the evening of Sunday the 20th and received it that Wed the 23rd. IIRC I paid for 2-day shipping. I bought the 16"/i5/8gb/256gb model.

The unit booted right up, I got Windows updates, I tweaked settings, installed software, etc. No problems so far.

I was worried that either Windows 10 or the apps weren't going to be able to handle the 4K rez on 15.6", but so far so good. Other than a micro dialog the first time I launched Clip Studio Pro, things are looking good.

The fan kicks in a bit, but it's not obnoxious at all (like my CC1 was). And I'm "fan-sensitive".

Actually one thing that is weird is that Chrome intermittently becomes unresponsive to touch and pen input, though I can fix it by switching to another app and back. I haven't yet decided whose fault that is.

I wish it had a built-in kickstand like other products. I'm currently sitting in a recliner using a "laptop lap desk" with a small pillow under the back end to cause more tilt. You can see there is a wrist wrest built in which is what the MSP sits on: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUEZ7W0/

In a few weeks I should get the Edge Desk and we'll see if I can make that work with it.

Oh and uh, ahem, I already did a drop test though not on purpose! The back side of the MSP is slick in the middle and it slid off my jean-clad thighs while I was reaching for something on the first day I was setting it up. KER-PLUNK! I made that inhaling "hiss" sound you make when you bang your knee. But it was all good.

HTH

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Are the fans consistently silent at idle, or do they go through intermittent spurts of noise then silence?

What about during medium load (eg. heavy multi-tab Chrome browsing)? Do the fans ramp up smoothly and remain relatively unobtrusive (no high-pitched freq peaks / low overall volume).

And under load (eg. 3D rendering, gaming) how loud are the fans compared to say a 15" gaming laptop?

6. Art_N00b

At idle, the fans are consistently quiet.
    During medium load they can ramp up, but it's not jarring.
    The fans do not switch between high and low repeatedly like my CC1 did.
    The noise with the fans on high is not irritating like the CC1 was.
    I don't have a gaming laptop to compare to. Also I haven't done any 3D with it. I got the MSP 16 for the screen space rather than the 3D.

I'm not going to say it's a quiet machine, but it's a huge improvement and it doesn't hit a threshold where it annoys me.

... so far this is my experience. But this is only day 6 and I only use it part time.

Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

In your experience is the Wacom stand better than something like this: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/notepal-series/notepal-ergostand-lite/
    ??
    Just curious if buying a seperate stand is even practical for most people here. I use that one with my T902 but I'll admit its pretty clunky to toss in your bag but makes working and drawing for hours a dream. Is this Wacom stand just as practical in that sense?

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I don't know why people hate the wacom stand so much: it's still the sturdier and more lightweight solution I've seen so far.
    Yeah, the surface kickstand is beautiful, but it can barely support the weight of the surface itself and collapses with just one hand on it...

stoneseeker, jubey and darkmagistric like this.
  10. Art_N00b

Interesting question, but I don't have the stand for the MSP16 or the ergostand that you linked to. I did have the stand for CC1 and had the same impressions as most everyone else: it worked, it seemed flimsy, it was a little awkward when setting up, it had 3 positions which was adequate, it was slim enough to toss in the bag.

But I discovered some time ago that I don't travel with drawing tablets very much. For me, the portability is about having different places to draw at home: kitchen, couch, recliner, office and (hopefully) the upcoming Edge Desk. So that ergostand you shared might be perfect for me.