Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you all for the feedback. Yeah, in my case, they literally replaced the screen, thus I received the same MSP back (which was originally refurbished). It even still had my data on the HDD, which I hadn't anticipated. This had occurred literally about a month and a half before my warranty was due to expire, and I felt so lucky, but now the new screen is doing it after this short period of time and the warranty is expired.

I'm going to try to articulate my consternation the best I can and see if they'll show some honor and do me this favor. Wish me luck... Oh, and like @thatcomicsguy mentioned, I also suspected it could have to do with some interaction with the EMR. It would be lovely if the screen supplier had been called out on this, an agreement had been reached, and this was something Wacom would largely fix with no questions asked... I mean my God, it's ridiculous. These things are literally the most expensive slates out there AFAIK, and I've never heard of this happening on any other device. It shouldn't be acceptable; they should be expected to last at least 3 years...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm kind of surprised by that....I always assumed with Wacom (or Microsoft, or really anybody)......if you shipped them a broken product for repair...I always assumed they would just send out a default refurb or new product back to you given it would be probably cheaper and easier then repairing and returning your specific unit.

To your last point.....I can attest my MSP 13.....which I've had for just over 2 years now.....is still running strong and no screen problems at all. (knock on wood). Per the course, mine probably will very well make it to the 3 year mark.

neongolden likes this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

huh, I had screen flaws appear like that on my new Cintiq Pro 24. Just a scattered smattering of green pixels, here and there. I was running the Cintiq through an adapter (HDMI to Display Port), and it went away when I plugged it directly into a HDMI port. So maybe it's not a screen problem but a connector problem inside the MSP?

thatcomicsguy and neongolden like this.
  4. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed over multiple tests that Wacom devices just don't play well with adapters as well.

5. neongolden

I just had to follow up and say fate smiled upon me in this instance, and they really took care of me on that issue I had a few posts back. They sent me a new MSP (albeit refurbished, not that I am complaining at all since that was the category of my original unit) with another year of warranty!!!

I noticed, offhand, the glass on this unit has a small blotch or two that is only perceptible when a light is shone over it at the right angle, and against a near-black color (such as when you are trying to discern if there are any scratches). It basically looks like a fingerprint that won't wipe off, but I can't feel any textural difference when the pen passes over it. I imagine it is just a quirk in the glass manufacturing, and won't be trying to raise a fuss over it.

Also, it might be time for a bit of excitement for some of you, as they just slashed prices on all MSP16 models today. Looks like it may be happening ;) Even if the next one has OLED, I'm clearly going to be out of the market for a long time, I hope.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. neongolden

So, I have to report back in on something I've observed while drawing on my new MSP16.
    Occasionally, maybe once every few days while drawing, I've been able to observe a single bright "flare up" of neon green of an individual pixel within the circumference of the pressure pool my pen is creating. It's sort of a cute addition to the undulations everyone gets in the liquid crystal when you apply moderate pressure due to the closure of the air gap. As always, it's most easily observed when you're basically going in to ink with a dark color or a black.

When I see this, it fills me with dread, and I immediately proceed to make my strokes in a different area of the screen instead of "experimenting" with it, if you catch my meaning. The last thing I want to do right now is play with one of these pixels, when I spot it, to see if it will fail to return to the color it is supposed to be after the pressure is retracted. It seems like I can return to the same area later and it won't happen. It distracts me with anxiety, though, as I anticipate the day when those pixels will become stuck on that green again, and I'll have to do another exchange, but at least it has a whole year to show this defect. If it's going to happen, I'm somehow confident it will happen within 6 months (lol).

I'd be particularly interested to hear if anyone who has 2+ year old MSPs has ever observed this. If you've seen it and your screen still hasn't had any pixels stuck, then maybe it's just a minor quirk and no big deal, rather than a reason to assume it is absolutely going to happen to me again.

I can't confirm this but the flaring may be happening directly over one of those grid dots that comprises the EMR board. You know, the dots that you can see when the computer is turned off and light is shined directly into it. That would seem to add credence idea that the EMR doesn't play nice with the pixels of these screens, possibly due to an improper calibration (?) as they came off the assembly line.

Anyway, as always, can't wait for sweet, sweet OLED. If you're supposed to be able to bend that ****, then I can't imagine these sorts of things ever happening (lol). Maybe we'll even be kissing the undulations goodbye, not that they were that big of a deal (I've still never personally seen an OLED tablet, maybe those of you drawing on your Samsungs could confirm lol).

YVerloc likes this.