Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jan van Briemen

Jan van Briemen Pen Pal - Newbie

That's difficult to answer. I can only say what I do: I have the Mobilestudio 16, i7 and I use Photoshop CC 2018 to make digital graphic art with dimensions of 60 X 80/90 centimeter (24 x 36 inch) at 300, sometimes 600 ppi. That's about 78 - 311 megapixel and added layers (for instance something like 6) and that all works fine. Saving the files takes a little time, maybe 15 seconds.

The drawing/painting itself works very fine, no parallax (most important to me), almost no delay (at least not noticeable interrupting my drawing). I used other tabletcomputers and they were never any good, because of parallax and delay, for my very, very precise style of painting (I use zooming till 300% in the last phase ;-). So I kept using the large Intuos pro with my quick computer, until I tried the Mobilestudio.

There are Wacom Experience Centre's where you can try the equipment (at least here in the Netherlands there are). I thinks it is best to try one first because it is indeed a huge investment. My brother couldn't believe a tablet could cost 3000. To me it is really worth the money. I am very, very happy with this painting machine.

I also use Lightroom and by installing the right tools on the express keys and using the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S for the sliders (clicking and using the scroll wheel is very handy) and the pen for masking I have a very convenient, quick and easily learned workflow.

I use an SD card of 500 Gb for my photo's, permanently inserted and a SD card adapter for loading photo's from my camera and that's enough for some time (42 Mpix photo's) so I can use the Mobilestudio as my only computer now.

I am, like you see here, very enthousiast about the Mobilestudio, but I do realise it's not for everyone. If you do sketching for instance, you can do that a lot cheaper on other tablets. And if you use really, really large files maybe there can be delay (you can still connect the Mobilestudio to a large computer of course). I have no experience with using other software like Coral Painter, etc.

Succes with your decision.

2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Got my MSP 16 back yesterday. New main pcb board installed. WIFI seems to be weaker then the last chip, but its all working ok. Going to stress test this one by running Furmark and prime 95 at the same time to see what happens, with the screen at 100% brightness. this is insane and creates tons of heat. Its cooler now in California so im expecting it to pass..

I also had to pay shipping to Wacom, my last post was inaccurate. I didnt read RMA fine print.....

what type of art? you cant get a much more powerful art tablet than MSP i7. HP zbook is on paper more powerful and can support more RAM but in real life it is not noticeably faster than the MSP 16, and Zbook is a downgrade on pen tech and screen size. Im personally planning to build a shoebox sized mini PC with desktop parts to just plug in my MSP16 screen when i need more power on the road. For normal sized illustration for print and web any device is good enough. but if you print huge, your going to hate life on any mobile laptop or tablet......

If you're doing VR, AI, or animation art i would just get a desktop and a cintiq. Tablet PC's are pretty wimpy on the specs as they are designed for mobile.

3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

LMAO! No contemporary tablet can handle this workload. Better look into quantum supercomputer- tablets, they should be here by 2030....