Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jan van Briemen

Jan van Briemen Pen Pal - Newbie

That's difficult to answer. I can only say what I do: I have the Mobilestudio 16, i7 and I use Photoshop CC 2018 to make digital graphic art with dimensions of 60 X 80/90 centimeter (24 x 36 inch) at 300, sometimes 600 ppi. That's about 78 - 311 megapixel and added layers (for instance something like 6) and that all works fine. Saving the files takes a little time, maybe 15 seconds.

The drawing/painting itself works very fine, no parallax (most important to me), almost no delay (at least not noticeable interrupting my drawing). I used other tabletcomputers and they were never any good, because of parallax and delay, for my very, very precise style of painting (I use zooming till 300% in the last phase ;-). So I kept using the large Intuos pro with my quick computer, until I tried the Mobilestudio.

There are Wacom Experience Centre's where you can try the equipment (at least here in the Netherlands there are). I thinks it is best to try one first because it is indeed a huge investment. My brother couldn't believe a tablet could cost 3000. To me it is really worth the money. I am very, very happy with this painting machine.

I also use Lightroom and by installing the right tools on the express keys and using the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S for the sliders (clicking and using the scroll wheel is very handy) and the pen for masking I have a very convenient, quick and easily learned workflow.

I use an SD card of 500 Gb for my photo's, permanently inserted and a SD card adapter for loading photo's from my camera and that's enough for some time (42 Mpix photo's) so I can use the Mobilestudio as my only computer now.

I am, like you see here, very enthousiast about the Mobilestudio, but I do realise it's not for everyone. If you do sketching for instance, you can do that a lot cheaper on other tablets. And if you use really, really large files maybe there can be delay (you can still connect the Mobilestudio to a large computer of course). I have no experience with using other software like Coral Painter, etc.

Succes with your decision.

2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Got my MSP 16 back yesterday. New main pcb board installed. WIFI seems to be weaker then the last chip, but its all working ok. Going to stress test this one by running Furmark and prime 95 at the same time to see what happens, with the screen at 100% brightness. this is insane and creates tons of heat. Its cooler now in California so im expecting it to pass..

I also had to pay shipping to Wacom, my last post was inaccurate. I didnt read RMA fine print.....

what type of art? you cant get a much more powerful art tablet than MSP i7. HP zbook is on paper more powerful and can support more RAM but in real life it is not noticeably faster than the MSP 16, and Zbook is a downgrade on pen tech and screen size. Im personally planning to build a shoebox sized mini PC with desktop parts to just plug in my MSP16 screen when i need more power on the road. For normal sized illustration for print and web any device is good enough. but if you print huge, your going to hate life on any mobile laptop or tablet......

If you're doing VR, AI, or animation art i would just get a desktop and a cintiq. Tablet PC's are pretty wimpy on the specs as they are designed for mobile.

3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

LMAO! No contemporary tablet can handle this workload. Better look into quantum supercomputer- tablets, they should be here by 2030....

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, was at New York City Comic Con today. Not a surprise….really nothing new from Wacom......literally same old....same old. First for the 3rd year in a row.....Wacom had the smallest space yet....its like their floor presence keeps shrinking every year. Also....a lot of their ads and banners were the exact same ones from last year.....same graphics, same art.....nothing new.

They had two Mobile Studio Pros 13 & 16 on demo, two Cintiq Pro 16's, two Cintiq Pro 24's (each I do believe had the Cintiq Engine installed, but it wasn't remotely mentioned or even advertised, it could been a space saver cover)

3 things however did catch my notice. And its also worth noting that while I've had fairly knowledgeable Wacom reps the other years.....the Rep I spoke to today really had no clue what he was talking about.

1. I inquired about the "Mini-express key remote"....in some of Wacoms Ads for the Cintiq Pro lines.....they clearly show a sort of mini-express key remote being used on the 16 Pro. The mini remote interests me because the normal sized Express Key remote doesn't fit on the bezel of the 13 & 16 inch Cintiqs…….and the lack of express keys on the 13/16 Pro I find unfortunate. I didn't have the photo on hand to show him.....but the rep swore there was no mini-express key remote and what ever I was talking about must have been someone else's product. The likely scenario I think….the mini-remote probably just never got off the concept/prototype phase, and Wacom probably just scrapped it. But clearly Wacom did have a design concept clearly already in mind for it.

wacom-cintiq-pro-300x168.jpg
    2. Despite the official Mobile Studio Pro/Cintiq 13/16 Pro Stand being released almost a year ago......none of the Mobile Studio's or Cintiqs at the Wacom Booth were using it. They were using the same makeshift stand's they had the year before. And in wacom's price listing of products at the booth.....there was no mention of the stand as a purchasable product. I have the stand.....and truthfully it kind of sucks.....it dislodges extremely easily from the Mobile Studio with very little pressure.....so I do wonder if the lack of the Stand at the Wacom booth either represents Wacom's own......unhappiness with the stand.....of if they just literally used all the same gear/equipment from last years booth without even considering using anything new like the stand.

3. I inquired to the Rep that the Mobile Studio Pro was literally debuted 2 NYCC comic cons ago in 2016....and if there was a refresh coming soon? This was the most concerning answer because...…..the Rep knew jack.

First he tried telling me that the Mobile Studio Pro only debuted last year at 2017 Comin Con (which is sure as hell did not)…..and then he said it was currently on its "4th generation" …….to which I added...….the Cintiq Companion 1, Cintiq Companion 2, and then Mobile Studio...….to which he actually told me that Mobile Studio Pro received a processer update some point in the last year. I then asked him what generation processer it was now using given the "Original" Mobile Studio was using 6th gen Skylake. And the Rep actually told me that the Mobile Studio Pro's are currently shipping with 7th or 8th Gen core processors.

I knew the guy was full of it......cause there is no way a Processor refresh would have gone so unnoticed (by us, especially) so I even asked him if the Mobile Studio Pro's they have on demo there were the newer models.....and he said yes...….I didn't believe this....so I waited for a Mobile Studio to open up....and I checked the System settings...….Still 6th gen Skylake. Clearly this rep had no clue what he was talking about.

5. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Bummer but not unexpected. I have a mobile device purchase on the horizon. It's either the rumored new iPad or a new MSP. I wouldn't buy this one now so late in the life cycle. Whatever is going on with Wacom is really starting to get to me now. They are a hardware maker that cannot get out hardware. Say what you want about the Huion stuff I've been reviewing but they get stuff out. Its not like the Wacom QC has been great either, not in a long time actually.[

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone use a USB-C monitor with the MobileStudio pro 16?

I just setup an LG 34UC99-W and connected the MSP using the supplied USB-C cable.

2 problems:
    • MAJOR: The LG or MSP screen will go black on and off if you try to do anything. When it comes back, a long tear progresses from bottom to top for a few moments.
      • Right now it's using the Iris graphics
      • Happens doing things like new tabs in Chrome, pop-ups in Chrome, dragging Edge or Chrome window around, etc.
    • No Charging: So far the monitor isn't charging the MSP with the one USB-C connection. I don't know if that's due to how many watts the monitor offers (60 watts), or some other restriction set by Wacom.

What's working:
    • So far it has no problem driving the monitor at 3840 x 1600
    • Sound is going to the built-in speakers
    • Data is working via USB ports on the monitor.
    UPDATE:

Well, after starting to dig deeper online, it appears this is a long standing issue with the MSP when an external monitor is connected. Sometimes both the external and internal monitor flicker, or sometimes it is only the internal. After a year, driver updates have not resolved the issue to satisfaction.

Here's a 9 page thread at Wacom starting back in 2016:
    http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still hopeful the reason for the delay is they want the next MSP to come with a dramatic shift in display tech. I think I read Samsung (ie one of the few oled manufacturers, lol) has a 10% stake in Wacom, not that it realy matters...

On a separate tangent, the reason the current MSP is such a pressure spot/dead pixel magnet is not only bc the screen is always exposed, it's also the heavy weight of the machine itself pressing into everything... it's not a bad screen, it just isn't really mobile -- I bet it is literally the same screen that goes into the Cintiq Pro, only those always have the benefit of being able to stay in a dimly lit studio. They have got to get off these fragile, low-nit IPSes for their tablet pcs.

YVerloc likes this.
  8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Did anyone here ever have a problem with dead pixels suddenly materializing all over the screen, as in here: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020

Any idea at all as to the real cause? Notice how the Wacom rep says "these things just happen."

I had this happen towards this end of last summer, then they replaced my screen in late September, and now the new screen is doing it after barely 3 months. However, my warranty is now expired so my hopes are slim of getting it fixed for a reasonable price. All I can do is argue that they had just installed this screen three months ago, and basically act like it should have a warranty of its own.

I was hoping that being educated on the cause would somehow give me a degree of leverage...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sucks.

Poor Wacom! I wonder if it's because they had to have screens made to their specs in order to work with their EMR tech, and this particular batch just failed.

Sounds like they should be heading to their manufacturer to demand their own refund!

siddhartth and neongolden like this.
  10. p3numbra

p3numbra Pen Pal - Newbie

Had the same issue with mine as well ... after 1.5 years of use ... still under warranty and also had some issue with my quadro card .. sent it back to wacom and got a different refurbished version that does not have the issue.
    Initially i thought they were particles of dust trapped between the screen but with the passing of time they got worse and figured out that there seems to be some issue with the actual screen ... pixels lighting up while pressing and probably caused by extensive drawing ... more pronounced in the center of the screen where most of the use of the tablet is.
    Bought a cintiq pro 24 and use that as my main drawing device and will sell the MSP16.
    I got no comments from wacom regarding this issue ... just got the unit replaced by a refurbished one that does not have it.... yet.

siddhartth and neongolden like this.