Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

WillAdams and DaniJoy like this.
  2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

darkmagistric likes this.
  3. Jan van Briemen

Jan van Briemen Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone use the Wacom Color Manager to color calibrate / profile the mobilestudio pro (16)?
    Any problems with it?

My Wacom hardware calibrater itself does work, and the software, the newest version 1.4 can connect with the mobilestudio display, but I think it cannot read the, with the screen stored, values. The software reports in the measurement part: ' failed to connect, a matching display was found but could not be opened. The solution there stated, do not work here: 1. retry, 2. close Wacom OSD, 3. restart.
    I tried a lot: reinstalling the program, restarts, updating both Nvidia drivers, even installing older drivers. Makes no difference at all, same message.

Installing the oldest software, version 1.0 does work more or less, the program sees the display and I can calibrate it, but without the DAC = Automatic Display Control and all screen controls unchecked. I don't know how good such a color calibration really is. And with this software on the mobilestudio pro you have to read the screen with a loupe, even if it is on 350%.

I found a version 1.3 software and this gets the screen more or less connected, also not working with the DAC and it just does not calibrate, stops every time and disappears from the display.

I have nothing connected to the mobilestudio, only the Wacom hardware calibrater.
    I had the screen profiled before with an old calibrater, the Spider express 2 and this works, but I understand that is a too old hardware/software for this new screen, so I removed the software and ICC profile. I need a calibrated display for inspecting the file before printing on the Canon ipf6400.

I contacted Wacom with the chat function and the contacting person couldn't solve it and will consult her team and email me. No respons yet. And with what I read here about Wacom support …….

Nothing about it to be found on the internet yet.

So does anyone have any idea?

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Given how thorough you've been on the software side, its starting to sound like a firmware issue or windows update that broke a function. I don't have a mobile studio pro to test for you in hand, but someone on here should be able to confirm if it is just your unit (assuming they are on the same updated version of windows and Wacom updates). Have Wacom ever released any firmware or BIOS updates since you purchased?

5. Jan van Briemen

Thanks for Your reply. I have the latest windows 10 update and the latest Wacom driver. And just installed the new color calibrater software last week. To my knowledge Wacom doesn't have a website with all kinds of drivers, firmware or bios updates, like other computer manufacturers, they only have a driver for the tablet. I will look further into that, maybe I can find firmware or BIOS updates somewhere.

I have an older HP laptop with a Dreamcolor IPS display. They also have their own calibrator and calibration software. And with a new windows 10 update this software also lost contact with the values stored with the display. Using an older driver, still on their website, for the Nvidia card got this system working again.

So I think you are right and I will look further for bios and firmware updates.

I can't find anything about Wacom Color Calibration with the Mobilestudio on the internet so I hope someone here uses this software and hardware and can say anything about that.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You may want to try posting your question here too: https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/ if you haven't already. Cast a large net and all that... Honestly, I would hope Wacom gets back to you, but they're track record in general is getting pretty ugly these days.

7. Jan van Briemen

Thanks, I followed your advise and posted on Reddit also. I searched for it and the Wacom BIOS- and firmware updates are implemented with the software Wacom Desktop Centre and they appear already there, all is updated, the software says.

It's unfortunately, because for the rest I very much like the Mobilestudio, best drawing experience I had.

8. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

I have the calibrator, and its not compatible with the MSP anymore. it worked once for me, and has since started bricking my MSP. Its really annoying that the wacom branded calibrator wont work with the MSP. It works great with my Cintiq 27. We should post on the wacom forums, its BS and likely just because they are too lazy to fix the software.

I do allot of color critical work for print, i just use the cintiq 27. The wacom branded unit is just a Xrite unit. They work really well. I would recommend selling the wacom unit and just buying the xrite unit. that way you dont have to deal with wacoms craptastic drivers and lack of compatibility with their own devices.

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

You can see on the wacom website its only compatible with these models:

Compatible with:

Wacom Cintiq® 27QHD and Cintiq 27QHD touch,
    Cintiq 22HD and Cintiq 22HD touch,
    Cintiq 13HD and Cintiq 13HD touch

Ridiculous, they dont even support the new cintiq pro line. lol

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

So of course as soon as I sell my HP Zbook X2, my MSP starts randomly crashing. It corrupted a drive and I lost a bunch of client work right in the middle of a print job. I was just using it to print on my 44" Giclee printer and editing in photoshop at the same time.

It seems to be getting too hot. I can replicate the crash by running prime95 and Furmark at the same time. The screen just goes black after a while. Fortunately, i have the 3 year extended warranty, ill document my experience here. My guess is ill get put through the usual ringer of reinstall the OS yada yada, drivers and finally it will be sent back with failing hardware. I hardly use this thing its just my spare workstation.

Anyone else tried running prime 95 and furmark at the same time with 100% brightness? Mine passed this test when new but something is not happy anymore......