Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Check the hours, i dont think they are open at 6am. Keep us posted, if they dont replace it no questions asked im ditching mine that is also on Klarna credit.

2. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Called Wacom today after work.

The basic trouble shooting was turning it on and off. I was told holding up on the volume would enter bios, did not work. He also wanted to turn it on and off 3 times to try and trigger Windows recovery or similar feature. Another one was touching the screen while it powered up.

Customer rep also went to get a MSP unit to test with.

I also found a USB keyboard I tried earlier, tapping F2 for bios did not work, nor F9 for recovery options.

Seems to just be dead. Tonight I might leave it on with fan running, see if can drain the battery.

Also confirmed my warranty was still good in some way. I wonder if I have to pay shipping.

Call Wrap-up:

Customer rep created a case with my details and sent me an email requesting the pictures I mentioned and my shipping address for any possible service. I should hear back in 24-48 hours. Next steps could be shipping it to them to error test.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    DaniJoy, Art_N00b and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Brian123

Update 3:

Received emails to ship the MSP back. I luckily had the original product and shipping box on hand.

Shipping:
    FedEx Ground (2day) with insurance for the cost of the MSP 16, came to about $46. It will arrive on Thursday.

Turnaround:
    By default, they are quoting 10-15 days to inspect and repair. I of course hope it will be faster.

DaniJoy and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. Brian123

Update 4: Conclusion

Received emails to ship the MSP back. I luckily had the original product and shipping box on hand.

Wacom Received MSP16:
    • 5/31
    Wacom Shipped MSP16 Back:
    • 6/5 Shipped (2-Day UPS)
    • 6/7 Missed Delivery (Wacom didn't let me know it shipped)
    • 6/8 UPS dropped it off at a UPS Access Point (What's that, a shady liquor market nearby)
    Picking it up:
    Stopped by the market store at around 8:30pm. Nice lady working in this store took my ID and had me go around the back to a little sectioned off corner by moving a couple plastic baskets. She then asked me to search through the boxes to find mine. It was clear, since it said Wacom on it. She then asked me to take it back to the front so she can confirm with ID and then scan it. Very odd experience for a $3000 laptop.

Repair:
    Inside the box was a paper explaining the repair.
    • Main Control PCB Replaced
    • Part component name: CONA8977A
    • Same unit / serial number shipped back to me. In original box retail box and shipping box.
      (Note: I shipped it to them in the original retail box and shipping box, only the MSP and power supply)
    Condition:
    • No blemishes or scratches on exterior
    • All my data is there. So nothing about the system was corrupt, they just replaced the board and it boots into my system install.
    • Ran Cinebench several times, no crashes

Concerns:
    • New Light bleed. I immediately noticed several new light bleed spots on the right and upper right. I only had one spot near the bottom, otherwise it was perfect before. I'll take pictures and test if it's noticeable under normal use and not just the black screen. It's disappointing to get something back worse than you sent it in.
    • Black screen flashing. I first tested Chrome at Sketchfab. Then while on a simple page like TabletPCReview forum, using the pen to scroll the page up and down caused the screen to go black for a second and back, multiple times. Seemed to happen only when using when using the pen with Chrome, and sometimes it still did it after lifting the pen. While Chrome has been stubborn with the pen, like not letting you drag the window anywhere, it never did this before. Opening EDGE worked flawlessly. Chrome was also always a poor performance on a 4k screen.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    YVerloc and Art_N00b like this.
  5. Alayna

Alayna Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the black screen flashing going? Have you found a fix yet? Just hope it isn't a faulty video card issue now =(

6. Brian123

It seems to have gone away after opening Chrome again. No other random issues like that.

The backlighting bleed on right isn’t as bad as it first looked when I turned it on out of the box. Still there, just a bummer. Not sure what effort it is to address that.

What is everyone’s experience with bleed on the MSP?

7. Brian123

So, after all the Windows 10 updates, bios updates, is everyone's experience that the fans are on almost all the time these days?

The fans on my start the moment I get to the windows login screen.

Doesn't matter if I have it at longest battery life, so CPU throttling, and 0-5% CPU usage, and only being on for a minute or 2, fans don't go off.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had moments where the fans have been as you describe, lasting possibly up to a week or two, but I just assumed it was because I was in an interval where the drivers were having issues. I literally went on my merry way and assumed W10 or Wacom would eventually resolve it because I had no real other choice, and that actually seems to be what happened. So I'm wondering if you still have the problem, haha

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a really loaded question if any of you guys have time:

Can you think of a reason why I should keep this Logitech Craft keyboard I just splurged $200 for? I think it's dawning on me that the knob on it couldn't possibly be more redundant if you're using a Wacom device. If you have a Cintiq, odds are you have the Remote, and on the MSP I suspect there's nothing this knob can do that the Touch Ring cannot.

The matte chiclet keys sure do feel awesome, though, but I don't think that's going to be enough. I think I completely misjudged the target audience: They are probably more photography-oriented types with desktops that may or may not even be equipped with an Intuous.

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Please help. im really short on time and need to figure out the best way to go USB-C to HDMI out for a projector? Im doing a mural at a festival and want to project from my MSP-16

Wacom link or USB hub?