Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

The other day I tried using the Wacom Link in this way. Wacom Link connected to the MSP 16 center port, then a Mini-Display port to DisplayPort cable to a Dell monitor. Nothing happened. I was hoping to use the Link as a USB-C to Displayport adaptor.

Maybe I’ll test it again today. P

2. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope you guys can help. I bought a used MSP 13. Not sure if this is a problem but upon resetting to a fresh state. The Wacom pen when touching the screen functions as if I'm holding down the left click on a mouse and drag and selecting. Haven't updated the drivers yet but is this a common thing to happen to MSP owners?

3. Bloom

Bloom Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had luck finding a compatible AC Adapter that is smaller or USB C battery pack that supplies 100w?

4. Brian123

Well, I just had an unpleasant experience that has ended with my MSP 16 with black screen on start-up.

Current state of MSP 16:
    1. Power on
    2. Backlight comes on
    3. After a short time backlight goes off
    4. No Wacom logo, loading, or anything ever shown
    5. After a short time I'll hear the fan, but screen is still off

What happened:

Part 1:
    Tonight, I powered it on, had ZBrush open, Photoshop, Edge, Chrome. I was browsing Sketchfab and found the 3D preview sluggish. I quit Photoshop and ZBrush. Still sluggish. I quit Edge and try only Chrome, still sluggish and laggy.

Part 2:
    Next I plugged it in and set power manager slider to best performance. Moments later after rotating a 3D model at Sketchfab in Chrome the screen went black, moments later the screen came back, but frozen and a few horizontal line artifacts across screen.

Part 3:
    I forced the MSP to shutdown and this problem happened a coupe more times visiting Sketchfab. I confirmed it was using Intel Graphics at the time of crash, according to the task manager.

Part 4:
    I restart again, this time I opened Cinebench to run an OpenGL test on the Nvidia graphics. After 10 seconds the MSP blue screened. The blue screen stated it will restart after collecting some info, also noted stop code: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL. After 100%, it restarted.

Part 5:
    Restarts into black screen. From then on, I can't get it to restart and show anything, other than a short time the backlight is on and some fan noise. If I connect a USB C cable to my MacBook 12, which usually activates Cintiq mode, nothing happens, other than the MacBook 12 seeing it as a power source.

Next Step:
    I'll have to call Wacom in the morning. I purchased through Wacom's finance deal with Klarna for 3 years, so I should still have a full warranty.

Notes:
    I recently updated everything a couple months ago. Nvidia drivers, Firmware, Wacom drivers, Windows, etc, all was running great.

Question:
    Anyone know if there's any physical button combination on the MSP that would start Windows in Safe Mode or the BIOS without a keyboard?

Art_N00b likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ugh. That sucks.

Please keep us updated as to your progress. If Wacom can't be depended upon to build reliable equipment, and if they refuse to deal fairly with third party OEM providers, then they had better be super-heroes when it comes to serving their customer base. For devices in the $3000 range?

I'd suggest you keep logs of your dealings with Wacom and share them here. It might help focus their attention.

artistebot likes this.
  6. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Posting on their Twitter and FB page might help as well.

7. Alayna

Alayna Pen Pal - Newbie

This describes what happened to my MSP 16 when it bricked. I am really sorry. If yours is like mine, you machine is dead.

8. Brian123

I may be calling Wacom at 6am, only time I have with my job and commute. Thing is, I don’t have a usb keyboard where I’m at if they require it for testing.

What troubleshooting steps didn’t they have you do before calling it dead? I’ve tried what I’ve found online.

One:
    Plugging it in, holding power 10 seconds until it would shut off. Then supposedly hold power 10 seconds to turn on. Then repeat with power moved to each USB C slot. Thing is, I can only get it to sort of start with a quick slide of the power switch. Hold any longer and it doesn’t respond.

Two:
    I tried powering on while holding both volume buttons with many different timings. This did not work to get into any recovery mode or factory reset, nor any basic combination of buttons to get to the bios.

Note:
    Also, the light on the side does not come on anymore. It was on while charging last night, but now gone. Powering on, forcing off, no solid or blinking light

Also, here are the artifacts I saw when it froze, then later the blue screen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  9. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

Seems like a GPU issue.

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i was able to get my MSP into safe mode using the methods of the CC2.

i did have a USB keyboard, but IIRC, i was able to use touch when i first booted into recovery mode.