Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks so much, it was definitely that last cumulative Win update.

Azzart and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. neongolden

I need to run this by you all in case anyone can offer any insight. I'm starting to believe I may have a case for a defective screen -- that the pressure environment is screwed up due to a fault assembly, and none of it was my fault after all. I found a discussion recently where it was implied, for that reason, something like this can manifest over the course of a number of months.

lightbleed.jpg

lightbleed2.jpg

It's hard to capture so I drew a dinky circle around where it is, though it may not help.

But the more I think about it, maybe the whole screen is flawed regarding all that ambient bleed I originally just took for granted simply because it's IPS. Since it was distributed rather evenly, being all around the edges, it's much less bothersome as it doesn't pop out like that pocket towards the middle. But maybe it really is abnormally harsh and indicative of an improper assembly.

I can't tell if that's basically how it always looks when you photograph a screen like this, especially when you're having to do it with a cellphone camera.

If you can weigh in, thanks a bunch. I don't anticipate that I'll get an RMA out of this, and the truth is I may even be unreasonable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  3. neongolden

Just so y'all know, that issue with the stand was a manufacturing accident and they'll replace it for you. The rod isn't supposed to be able to slide out.

They're not going to mess with my screen, lol. They basically claim it's my fault, and they could be right. I'll just have to hope it diminishes on its own.

artistebot likes this.
  4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the similar issue with my Cintiq Companion Hybrid. Lots of light bleed. Much later I accidentally put too much pressure on the screen while in the provided case carried inside a laptop backpack. It caused a couple light spots, both were hard to see (if at all) under normal use. Lesson learned!

The spots seemed to fade very slightly about a year later, not really sure?

In the old Wacom forums the light bleed and pressure spots was discussed by other users too. Wacom ignored or refused to service the screen spots based upon user error.

neongolden likes this.
  5. neongolden

Yeah, just to add a little more to this:

I finally lost the metal rod to the stand a couple of days ago (ROFL). I was using it in my lap on the lowest position and the little bastard finally managed to elude me, sliding all the way out and onto the floor where it likely got vacuumed up by a janitor.

I can't do an exchange with Wacom right now because I'm currently, shall we say, a "bohemian artist". I don't really have a good address for them to send the replacement.

So here's where I confess to the world how ridiculous I am: I also had a Flipsteady, and I went back to it, and in retrospect feel like I was slapped on the wrist by divine forces for ever leaving it. I can patently tell you I would not have incurred the pressure spot on the screen if I had stuck to the original, simpler routine I had when carrying it around with the Flipsteady. It happened entirely because I overestimated the protective capability of the official carrying case, which brings me to my final point:

The carrying case for the MSP16 just seems thoughtless to me. It seriously needs a shoulder strap. I don't know if this design was legit back in the days of the Companion series (particularly the Hybrid and CC1), but it definitely isn't now, because the MSP16 is possibly the biggest and heaviest slate in existence. Their slates were always big and heavy but this is the first where it's just ridiculous to expect the customer to merely carry it around under one arm, holding it with your hand. It's just too easy to drop by accident, and I would not trust this carrying case to save it from the raw impact.

I literally would've been better off just wrapping it in a pillow case, where at least it would have still easily fit into the softest part of my backpack. You end up just improvising with a backpack big enough to hold the carrying case with everything in it, mistakenly thinking it will be protected like in the padded section of a Lenovo backpack or something, and end up with pressure spots on your exorbitantly-priced screen.

Also, the inner lining is pretty unimpressive. Maybe extensive research yielded that it would not scratch the screen, but it's still scary to use. I expected it to resemble soft microfiber cloth but it's actually very rough. That being said, so are the cleaning cloths that come packed with the MSPs, and they actually seem to do a better job at cleaning the screen than the traditional microfiber cloths, so maybe this is purely psychological on my part.

So... I guess that summarizes my experience. :( The hilarious thing is they actually advertise how there are little pieces of leather on the zipper, and on some weird useless(?) piece of cloth that sticks out of the top corner with Wacom's logo on it. How about scrapping the purely superficial tiny pieces of leather, and shipping it with a seatbelt-like shoulder strap similar to the optional one on the Flipsteady?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Marty and artistebot like this.
  6. artistebot

Bummer.

After what happened to my Wacom, I decided to wait until I find a convertible PC that ships w a keyboard, since when closed it provides a screen barrier.

7. neongolden

Actually, it just dawned on me...

20180404_172858.jpg 20180404_172916.jpg

The reason for this zipper design, where there are openings on both sides, could be because you're meant to improvise with, say, a soft piece of rope. Would have been nice if there was any documentation at all, even just some short directions printed on the box, about things like this. Wish I'd known before all of this happened!

In theory, I respect the economy of it. Such a rope would be super cheap, and easily replaceable compared to an event where a sewed-in strap began to tear. It's more environmentally-friendly. I'm still not entirely sure this is what you're supposed to do, though, and I can't test it anytime soon.

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

zippers aren't designed to be load bearing and the straps even less so --- don't do that. Put the case inside another bag.

neongolden likes this.
  9. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Do any of you MSP owners have the Wacom Link? I know its purpose is to connect the MSP to a PC or laptop but since the MSP is a computer, can you use the Wacom Link to connect to an external display?

10. artistebot

I wonder if the Wacom Link would enable the Zbook X2 to do the same thing?

Probably not.....?