Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Wait a sec!
    I mean, if the mobilestudio is attached to the mac, it's the wacom that's a second display to the macbook. A cintiq using the power of a m3 cpu.
    Isn't even the most basic mobilestudio pro 13 already more powerful than that?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although technically correct, the MSP would be indeed running off the Mac’s hardware, despite that the Mac would still take the submissive role as 2nd monitor since the pen can’t be interacted with it.

3. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok so apparently my card should work, I have almost the same specs!!
    (z370instead of z170 but i have the Alpine Ridge header which is needed to make it work)...

Except i don't understand japanese but i don't think it's that necessary for this video ^^;

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  4. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Just for completion: it works.
    I still have some problems but this must be driver/bios issues between video en thunderbolt card.

I changed my Belkin cable with a Thunderbolt 3 cable from the Apple Store (0.8m).

It detected my Wacom Tablet once i used only ports from the GC Alpin card and not from my videocard (GTX 1080 Ti)

After that it recognized also if i have my monitor connected to my videocard and the tablet connected to the USB- CThunderbolt port.

Like mentionned by other people, i can only have video signal from my tablet after booting my computer with tablet plugged in.

One really strange problem i still have: after a few minutes of use my MSP shut down the hard way (with a whoooch sound from the fans that doesn't sound very healty). Battery fully charged. Never have that problem unplugged from desktop.

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  5. darkmagistric

6. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

About to order it. Though, what should I add to get it to $50+ for free shipping.

Concerned about a couple things:
    • You have to replace the stand pieces on the back of the MSP, which I hope are included with the stand
    • The stand doesn't support the front, the edge of your MSP rests on the surface. Could this lead to scratches?
    • The video only showed adjusting the stand to each angle with the MSP resting on the display. Made sense for attaching it initially, but hopefully it doesn't require too much force to pop it free and attach at different angles while using it.

7. darkmagistric

Wait....replacing the stand pieces? I was under the impression the stand would just sort snap into the redesigned stand connector pieces on the back of the MSP. I can't find any info from Wacom about users having to replace the stand connector pieces on their MSP to work with this stand. Where did you see that?

And this Stand....I'm assuming essentially functions exactly the same way the Cintiq Companion 2 Stand does....(which is all the more jaring why it took so damn long)....but in all uses the stand is always completely resting under the MSP...so it will never protect the front or anything, it doesn't act as a front cover or anything like the Surface Keyboard covers do. A dedicated sleeve/bag is still sort of necessary to transport the MSP around, which is the same for the CC2, (but that at least came with a bag.)

And given how limited the three stand positions are.....as I can attest to from using the CC2, and the MSP....with the CC2 stand for the past year...chances are.....you'll get really used to....one of the positions and seldom....ever use the other two. In my case with the CC2 stand....I don't think I ever had a reason to use the middle and high length stand angles. The lowest one is really the sweet spot. However I used my CC2 and MSP just for art....the top/high angle I could see being more used if you wanted to angle the MSP up almost at main monitor level instead of at a drawing incline.

8. darkmagistric

I forgot they still did that.....damn. Cheapest thing you could add would be a Nib pack for the Pro Pen 2, those are only $5.

9. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here’s a video showing the process. It seems to have been mentioned by others that this is required. Maybe they have changed slightly to fix whatever issue the original design had. Could be that people are guessing and are wrong?

Edit:
    Translating the first two FAQ items on this page, it seems depending on the time your MSP manufactured, it may be difficult to clip the stand even with moderate force. In that case, you would replace the clips with an included kit.

http://www.wacom.com/ja-jp/getting-...utube.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=stand

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

Thanks for posting those videos.....Wacom USA doesn't have....any equivalent vids at the moment.....but that is major freaking fail if they expect everyone to swap out the connector clips. There's almost nothing on the wacom e-store about this.....they are gonna get swamped with people complaining about a faulty stand when they no doubt try and attach the stand to the existing clips. If only they put express keys on both sides and a built in kickstand (ala Surface Pro) from the get go, they could have completely avoided this whole ****show.