Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i kinda like it this way though. my ipad pro is glitch city with its fancy multi touch, constantly confusing palm, gestures and touch input. once i got used to how wacom does it , its super reliable. its really easy to just lift the pen an inch and have access to touch. give it a shot before you sell it, you might grow to adapt to the workflow.

I remember it was confusing for me when i got my first wacom. they should teach people how their hardware is designed to operate.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting........Apparently......the Mobile Studio Pro is now for Sale on the Microsoft Store Website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...947clrn1fw61/8ncn?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Few select retailers aside like B&H......Wacom has kept most of its MSP sales in-house......and when I asked a Wacom rep at comic con 2016......they seemed pretty dead set against selling it via Microsoft because the Surface Pro was considered too significant competition. I think its unlikely we'll see the MSP at a physical Microsoft store shelf, and its only the 13 inch high end model they are selling....but its an interesting move regardless.

WillAdams, Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everybody!

Anyone some experience with the Thunderbolt3 Card GC-Alpien Ridge (rev 1.0)?
    I bought this card for a Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 video card (z370)
    I also bought the most expensive belkin thunderbolt cable.

Bios, card and drivers are seems all ok.
    Wacom driver installed on desktop and MSP.

So i plugged the MSP 13" on the central type-c port. I also connected the power adaptator.

I have the message no video-signal but i it recognizes the pen.

I do not understand. :(

Kind regards,
    Bart

4. darkmagistric

What is it your trying to acctually do? It’s a tad bit unclear. HoweverThe MSP 13......has USB-C........but it does not have Thunderbolt 3 USB-C. If you’re trying to use a Thunderbolt 3 Gaming card as like an eGPU......it won’t work with the MSP.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He's trying to connect his MSP in Cintiq mode to his desktop, via a TB3 PCI card..quite a neat little setup actually for older, non-USB-C enabled towers.

Unfortunately, looks like there might be compatibility issues. :( Let's hope he doesn't have to pony up for Wacom Link.

6. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like he’s trying to install USB-C on his PC to connect his MSP as a Cintiq without the need for a Wacom Link.

It gets tricky as it needs to support DisplayPort through those USB-C ports. Some cards require connecting a DisplayPort from your video card to the USB-C card. In this case, it’s unclear how this special card made for his motherboard works in this regard.

On a lowly 12inch MacBook m3 cpu, using its one USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port, I can connect my MSP to it with a single cable to turn it into a 4K Cintiq on the Mac.

Notes:
    Make sure the USB-C cable is connected to the middle port on the MSP. That’s the only one that will work for this. Make sure there’s not a specific one on your upgrade card as well. Also, how does it pass through the DisplayPort from your gpu to this card?

7. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Ohw sorry. I wrote videocard instead of motherboard. :p

To make a long story short: like mentionned above by Brian and Marty I would like to use my MSP like a Cintiq Pro on my desktop.

I wanted to avoid the Wacom Link so i choose to add USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports on my desktop computer.

The motherboard i use is the Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 z370. That mobo has a Thunderbolt header called CG-Alpin Ridge.

So you have to buy the add-in card from Gigabyte called "Thunderbolt 3 CG-Alpine" that -once connected to this mobo, gives you 2 USB-C type C ports that support Thunderbolt 3.

Above that, there is also an external cable that goes from the displayport from the videocard to the mini-displayport from the add-in card.

The specs for that card seems quite good:
    • Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified add-in card
    • Intel® DSL6540 B-step Thunderbolt™ controller
    • Dual Thunderbolt™ 3 Ports (USB Type-C™)
    • 40 Gb/s Bi-directional Bandwidth
    • DisplayPort 1.2 Capable with 4K Video Throughout
    • Daisy-chain up to 12 Devices (6 devices per port)
    • Support 5V/3A and 12V/3A Power Delivery Spec
    The thunderbolt cable i bought also ( 40 Gb / 100 W / 5k support )

But i have to message "no-video signal" on the MSP once i connect it through the USB-C Thunderbolt 3port of my add-in card from my desktop to the MSP.

I checked everything several times: bios/drivers/ cable/...

--------

I read this which seems identical to my problem. (= video signal not recognized by desktop. Input okay) : here

"I've dealt with this issue too, I'm assuming you're using Windows 10, with your MSP connected, type Tablet PC settings in the start menu and click setup, then follow the prompts carefully, if you're in the right place you should see a white screen with some small black text on it -Now In the Wacom tablet settings there should be an option to select which display the pen syncs with, pick the MSP -I had this bug where I was unable to select the MSP in the list I don't know why the bug occurred, but it didn't even identify my asus monitor by name -what I did to fix this was disconnect all display cables including the thunderbolt 3. after that the list was correct. As a side note my MSP is connected via TB3 cable to the TB3 PCIE card and out of that card is a mini DP to DP which is connected to the GPU. I don't know if that makes a difference, but without that the MSP just acts like a bamboo..."

But my (windows 10) desktop doesn't detect the screen signal of my MSP (but well the pen input!) even after disconnecting the display cables. :(

Should it be the TB3 > TB3 cable? Should there be something mentionned about Displayport 1.2 on the box of the cable?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. darkmagistric

Actually.....doesn't the 12-inch Core M Macbook (not-pro) only have generic USB-C? I was certain the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C was only for Apple's Pro devices.

As far as using the Mobile Studio Pro in Cintiq Mode without the Wacom link, Thunderbolt 3 specifically isn't needed at all......USB-C with the display port alternate mode is all you should need, and that should be default with most USB-C ports.

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The real question is: what's the benefit of using a Mobilestudio attached to a computer with a Core m3 cpu. o_O

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

......to use the Macbook basically as a 2nd monitor....like it would be a sufficient mobile dual monitor setup....although a USB based portable display would be alot cheaper. Aside from that......its a Mac.....for Apples fans that usually enough.