Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ati3

ati3 Pen Pal - Newbie

WillAdams likes this.
  2. cartoonmonkeystudio

cartoonmonkeystudio Pen Pal - Newbie

I am totally trying the passthrough thing!

:-o

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Win7 isn't the safe (ish) place it once was, some of the nefariousness of Win10 has been implemented in one way or another in Win7 and 8.x.

Win10 is one of the best things to happen for the Linux community in recent years helping to increase adoption for various distros.

I would indulge your ethical arguments but apparently that's not welcome here by some. I agree with the premise of your argument, and it can only lead to a bad place in the future for independent developers and users alike imho. I'm not sure what they think will happen if they convert everyone to mindless consumers...who will be left to produce that which shale be consumed?

4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Is anyone else experiencing an issue where the MSP always ignores touch input when the pen is in range, regardless of how you've set it in Windows?

Capture2.PNG

I have it turned off but the device continues to operate as if it was on.

Capture.PNG

I tried shifting to Windows gestures but it doesn't make a difference.

Any ideas? Driver version is 6.3.25-5. I think Pen firmware is 1.2 (probably the newest).

I'm worried this is something that's actually baked into the design, and they didn't imagine someone noticing or needing it when they have the expresskeys and other doodads. Hope there's a quick fix :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. neongolden

Finally filed a support request to Wacom today, but in the meantime, I'm insanely curious to hear back from anyone if you see this.

I'm getting more suspicious about it because, for one thing, I realized you can't actually calibrate the pen in the standard Windows fashion (under Pen & Ink or something) as far as I can tell. When I tried to do it earlier today, I actually had to reboot the computer, since without a physical keyboard on which to press ESC, I was stuck in the calibration screen. You can only do it through the Wacom desktop center (which, to be fair, does a great job with only 4 points instead of the 8 you initially do in standard Windows settings).

But it's just a wild theory and could have no relation to it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

8. neongolden

Just got my first response on this issue I mentioned above from Wacom Europe:

I think what I'm reading here is it was a design choice -- they literally felt like the simpler style of Win8.1 was better, where touch is simply ON or OFF depending on the pen being in range. I'll try to write back later and attempt to argue that, coming from the Z Canvas, palm rejection was absolutely fine for the drawing hand while simultaneously maintaining touch input.

I guess I must now decide if I'm going to return it and get something else, returning to Ntrig with the Surface Book 2 as prime candidate, or try to work around it. The truth is this was a really useful feature for being able very quickly pan and zoom in CSP as well as dialing colors or other tools without having to consciously lift the pen out of range. The touch-ring is nice for fast brush resizing but it's unwieldy, by comparison, for everything else in my experience so far.

It also seems to betray that they were thinking almost entirely about Photoshop and Corel when they did this. It's possible that with a screen of this size, most people might have been prone frequently initiating unwanted touch inputs, but it's bad to not have the option... I guess I'll have to adjust - possibly find more creative ways to use the hotkeys to compensate.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not having that problem with my MSP13.......however....I do have a glitch with CSP specifically every once in a while. I greatly rely on single finger touch being used to pan around the canvas....but sometimes it won’t pan....single touch will suddenly create a dot or a line and treat the single touch input as an unpressurized brush stroke.

Very simple fix though....it settings I just switch Between Wintab and Tablet PC and that solves the issue.

neongolden likes this.
  10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

oh man at that price you might as well just get a flip steady. i think its way better, lighter and less bulky looking.