Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Your post makes a lot of sense but I can't see Wacom introducing a new model that's more fordable and meets more peoples basic needs. And even if they did you still have to deal with Wacom and all the negatives that entails. Looking forward to my N9P turning up next month. I will be scrapping my old CC1 and maybe keeping a small token piece to act as a reminder never make the same mistake again.

2. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed. I figured dropping the camera would help reduce the cost. I have/had my eye on that N9P but it has some limitations with 4K output and I don't like the lack of Wacom feel drivers. The only reason I care about 4K is I want to use it with the larger Cintiqs due out.

I am actually considering pairing a MSP with a third party dock and using it as my primary machine.

3. Jimbotron

Jimbotron Pen Pal - Newbie

What's this N9P you guys are talking about? My Google-fu is failing me.

4. Shizaru

I had the same concerns as you with respect to the lack of feel driver along with some other minor compromises. After a lot of reading I can't find anything that's as close to ideal as the N9P right now. It offers great bang for the buck, decent ports although the USB C is lacking, microSD, usable battery life, 15" screen, AMD 540 and most importantly EMR pen support. My only other option would be the MSP 13 top model @£2300 the N9P should come in @ £1090 including a Staedtler - Noris, standard S Pen and 128GB sd card. There is no way I could turn that down and run the risk again with a Wacom product and their poor customer service.

Fortunately 4K isn't high on my priority list neither is thunderbolt on the USB C. The way I'm looking at it I have saved £1200 which can go towards a next gen machine if the N9P seems dated in a year or so (which In doubt it will given my use case). And I have the satisfaction of not giving Wacom my money.

The 3D camera is totally pointless for the vast majority of MSP users, plus after a year you need to pay license fees for the software if you want the camera to function fully.

I'm thinking about getting a friend of mine to drive over my old CC1 in his JCB and post it on Ytube as a little message to Wacom support. Alternatively I may film it being thrown out of a third floor window and in the closing shot have it laying there next to the N9P. Either way the videos will explain why the £1700 CC1 is being treated like a piece of garbage. If I don't go that route it may make a few quid as spares, but that would be far less rewarding and much less entertaining.

5. Shizaru

WillAdams and Jimbotron like this.
  6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Just asking offhand, is there any other software out there that would interface with the camera, or is this some ultra-proprietary affair?

Did any new rumors trickle out about the official stand?

7. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a question, can the MSP output 4K@60hz like to a TV or the bigger Cintiqs coming out?

Specifically, I would like to use the MSP as my primary device connected to two external displays. One a standard 4K display and the other the Cintiq pro. Can I accomplish this (even if I need a USB-C hub)?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  8. Quillback424

Quillback424 Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a new Ryzen Threadripper with a Nvidia 1060-6GB card and I can't get the MSP Link to work. The motherboard has a USB-C connector but it doesn't work either. The 1060 has DisplayPort and HDMI but no mini DisplayPort. I have several different mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables but none of them work with the Link. I found somewhere where the USB-C has to be Thunderbolt and I guess that my MSI Motherboard doesn't have that just plain USB-C. Also haven't been able to find a USB-C Thunderbolt card for my new desktop. Can anyone help? The whole reason that I bought the Threadripper is to be able to do Corel Painter 2018 Thick Paints in real time, rather than wait for the strokes to catch up like what happens on my MSP. I know the Link works. I can use the Link with my laptop but that is only slightly faster than the MSP.

9. Quillback424

Quillback424 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received a DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort cable:
    StarTech.com 10 ft Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M - DisplayPort 4k with HBR2 support - 10 feet Mini DP to DP Cable. And it works with the MSP Link! Yea!

10. CameronTM

CameronTM Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the MSP16 i7 512 16GB as my main machine. I have an Artisul Stand (Wacom support says the real stand should release next month, but they've said that same thing since the beginning of the year) for it and I have it plugged into a Dell WD15 Dock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8PHWQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) (I bought this when my AC Adapter broke and replacement adapters weren't available yet, hoping the 180W adapter would actually power the tablet, which is doesn't), so I have have two cords coming out of the tablet while it's on my desk, one to the dock, one to the AC adapter. USB C makes it super easy to plug them in though, it doesn't matter which way I put them in. I have the dock connected to 2 other older monitors, one is a 1080P 24" screen via HDMI and the other is 1600x1200 21" screen via VGA. I just used monitors that I had from previous machines. Someday I'll replace them. I have hooked it up to 4k displays and TVs and it works fine. I REALLY like that I can do three screens though. I also have my old Motion Computing F5 (that the MSP replaced) docked and hooked up to another monitor as well, so I have 5 monitors on my desk. I use Mouse Without Borders to use a single wireless mouse and keyboard for all 5 monitors. My speakers, scanner, USB Headset and any other USB devices are all plugged into the WD15 dock. Had I known the dock wouldn't power the MSP I would have gone with a cheaper one, but since I'd already paid for it, and it works well I didn't send it back. I still use the F5 because I have old proprietary software that requires dongles that aren't recognized via USB3, and I use it for chatting and tracking website traffice, etc.

I've tried the 3D camera when I first got it, but couldn't get it to work for what I'd use it for (headstones), so I haven't used it since. I agree that they could do without the 3D camera to save money and I'd be just as happy, but don't get rid of the fingerprint reader =) And actually, for my use the nVidia card hasn't ever really come into play. It kicks in every once in a while but for the majority of the time the integrated video card is what's being used. So I'd rather have the i7, 512, 32GB Ram, Intel Video and no 3D Camera, but that's just me. I don't game much, and when my kids were playing MineCraft that did use the nVidia card, the computer would shut itself off, I'm thinking due to heat.

I also have a USB-C to HDMI/USB3 converter that I keep in my backpack for connecting to other screens/devices when I'm mobile, everything fits perfectly in my Case Logic Backpack (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J9HBSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I don't have a Cintiq Pro nor Wacom Link so I can't help you out on that one.

Attached Files: