Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Happehlemons

Happehlemons Pen Pal - Newbie

I had no issues and I payed it off in 1~2 months.

neongolden and WillAdams like this.
  2. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

My guess is Wacom will either stealth release or introduce the MobileStudioPro 2 with the new Cintiqs announced. It would be a full year and a lot of these issues will be fixed. Remember the we are listening for feedback statement from them. The MSP2 is going to come faster than expected I think.

3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Any thoughts on the prospect of ordering the MSP16 through B&H Photo and paying an extra $462 for the SquareTrade 3-year Drops & Spills warranty? It may sound foolish, for a variety of reasons -- one of them being the most recent horror story on the previous page -- it's starting to sound more appealing to me than getting Wacom's standard policy extended through 3-years with Klarna...

The 1-year warranty isn't even an option. Never again -- not in this price range. I just lost my $2600 Z Canvas to a swollen battery about 1.5 years after purchase.

I'm seriously beginning to successfully rationalize doing this, especially since it's not a TV or other electronic meant to be stationary, yet it's $3000 and I will in fact be moving it around a lot, and using it practically 24/7. Has anyone here ever done this and not regretted it?

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it's gonna be the opposite. It was the Cintiqs that were overdue for the refresh with the Pro Pen 2 standard. The Cintiq Companion 2 was a necessary upgrade since users were clamoring for the Cintiq Connection mode, heck that was the one addition that made me plunk down for the CC2 after skipping the CC1. The MSP brought a significant redesign, a new pen tech standard, and a new port standard with USB-C, as well as retaining the Cintiq Mode (except for an additional charge for the Wacom Link)

If they update the MSP anytime soon.....Kaby Lake aside.....which was a relatively minor update, they're not much they can really add or improve upon as is. I doubt they'll release a Pro Pen 3 anytime soon, normally Wacom sits on its current digitizer tech for many years.

Now if they went for another redesign and made the MSP2 more like the Surface Pro......with a Kickstand/keyboard cover (and express keys on both sides) along with a Quad Core CPU & Graphics option for the 13-incher......that would be a different story. Right now the biggest fundamental problem with the Cintiq Companion and Mobile Studio Pro is that....while its a great art tablet and fantastic for making art on.....its overall size and form limits it portability and overall non-art usage compared to other devices. While I can always connect a mouse and or keyboard.....it still doesn't compare to the simplicity and ease of taking out and using a Surface Pro or even a Galaxy Book. Like the perfect MSP design should be literally a Surface Pro (5) with very very slightly increased side bezels to accommodate express keys, a reinforced kickstand, and a easy keyboard cover. Like I use a Surface Pro 3 as my main laptop, and the MSP as my main art machine.....if Wacom could blur the line more, ideally a MSP3 should perfectly replace my current need for the 2 devices.

5. AvalonX

I was thinking more of a CC1 to CC2 type update. Maybe even a CPU refresh.

6. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe they will update it with a model that doesn't constantly crash like the msp 13 and 16 does. Oh look my machine is rebooting for the third time today.

7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel your pain as a fellow CC1 owner. I treated mine with great care in an attempt to avoid the charging problem and it survived two months beyond the warranty period. Wacom's customer support started off OK which involved a rather long chan of emails answering questions. Then they sent me an estimate of 500 Euros plus VAT and Carriage. Then things got interesting they finally responded with a price of 120 Euros plus VAT & Carriage. Still unacceptable imho for the replacement of a power socket and an hour of engineers time. I asked them if the replacement socket was an upgraded part or a direct replacement and they tried to ignore my question. It turns out the part is exactly the same! So effectively you're paying for a repair but not a solution to the manufacturing fault. They didn't/don't want to supply me the part so I can carry out the repair myself. With all the shipping and VAT it would cost me at least 200 Euros instead of 10 euros for just the part. During the negotiations my screen developed a fault in the lower right due to heat damage. At that point I stopped pursuing the issue. From what I can figure out poor heat management is the cause of the power socket failure, as well being the cause of other issue such as my screen fault.

Under the UK Sale of Goods Act it's possible to pursue a claim up to 6 years after purchase (a little known fact). The fault needs to meet certain conditions such as initial cost and reasonable expectation of wear and tear etc. and that the fault isn't caused by the user. The CC1 issues are Manufacturing defects and it meets the requirements in all respects. The big problem is I purchased directly from the Wacom site not a UK retailer, so I doubt I can pursue a claim against them. The moral of the story is if you live in the UK buy Wacom products from a UK retailer, even if you pay a small premium doing so! If I had gone that route with my CC1 I could have taken my case to the courts.

Keep in mind that this protection offered by the Sale of Goods Act is not a 6 year warranty! It covers faulty goods which have an inherent manufacturing defect, and you need to be able to prove that the fault was present when purchased.

More info available here > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1719963

Maplin's are selling Wacom products and they have started offering MSP's.

I was tempted to get an MSP from Maplin's, but after dealing with Wacom's support and arguing over an issue that was a manufacturing defect, there is no way in hell I want to deal with them again, not even from a UK retailer.

Don't accept the cost of repairs given by Wacom if it seems unreasonable (which it will be)! Figure out what the real cost would actually be and then negotiate. They wanted to charge me 500 and that went down to 120 after challenging their pricing, for a one hour job and a 4 Euro part. 120 was still steep imho and the postage and VAT doesn't help matters.

Luckily the penable tablet landscape has broadened significantly with the latest generation of products available, and alternative pen tech is catching up with Wacom fast. The Samsung N9P gives us a viable alternative to the MSP, at a much more affordable price, and it has great pressure response plus tilt support. You might be interested in checking it out?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

I've gone back and forth considering whether to drop a significant amount of money on the Wacom Mobile Studio pro, and I'm fairly certain it would just be better for me to wait for the next iteration (Mobile Studio Pro 2).

when would you guys estimate that would get released? end of 2018? start of 2019?

9. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

I had considered the msp 13 but decided against it utimately due to many people complaining of random crashes. Also the weight was still a bit heavy and battery life is piss poor. It's portable if you have an outlet. I ended up with a 13 inch iPad Pro second generation. The battery lasts all day and I have the 30 watt USB c quick charger so it charges fast. It's not for everyone for sure but I'm loving sketching on this thing. It's lag free and pinpoint accurate with no wavy lines. Once I have my loose sketch done on the iPad I work on it in photoshop on the iPad with Astro pad. This work flow is ok for me. I can get tons of sketching done without needing a full pc. The iPad Pro weighs about what my MacBook Air weight felt like only it's a tablet. Yes it's big but it's as portable as a 13 inch laptop. I don't expect it's for everyone but for me I'm loving it..

10. AvalonX

I think there is still a good chance for a soft refresh. Nvidia is starting to ship the 1050 in laptops now and the MSP could use a CPU refresh and DDR4 upgrade. They really should consider and i5/256/16GB offering. Skip the 3D camera and drop the price a bit.