Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Yeah flipsteady dude is 4 months late delivering a product he said was mostly done. I have one on preorder since December.

The MSP is worthless without a case and stand. It's also very fragile. My 16 has already had the screen fixed once, and it's just been sitting in my padded camera bag unused.

At least Wacom has nice padded bags finally for sale. Mine shows up soon. I'll finally take my MSP out in the wild. Seriously though what was Wacom thinking neglecting the bag stand?

2. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Is this the first time you can purchase nibs for the Pro Pen 2, and felt version? Noticed it then in a Wacom email today. Links:

Standard - Pack of 5

Felt - Pack of 5

$10 for a pack of $5

Also, supposedly right now you can Buy One Get One free, added at checkout.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. cr3studio

cr3studio Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a MSP 16 and have a express key remote, is there anyway to use this without the link or I need to buy that as well?

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You can use it tethered via usb cable as far as I can remember.

5. kamelusername

kamelusername Pen Pal - Newbie

hello.
    i just read the whole topic which was very helpful as i'm planning to get my gf the msp 13.
    i wasn't sure which model to go i5 8gb RAM 128 gb ssd or i7 8gb RAM 256 gb ssd mostly for PS and manga studio so the cpu performance was the biggest concern..
    so as i found out comparing the i5 vs i7 there is a reason why wacom wasn't so eager to specify on their website what exactly are the cpu models - because there is almost no difference at all!
    they are both skylakes 2 cores with hyper-threading, 4mb of cache and the same gpu..so the only difference is clock speed which is 10% better for i7 .
    so is the 150£ uk price difference justify for just 128 gb ssd more and 10℅ more cpu power??
    hmm..i dont think so
    ( btw nice try wacom)

6. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd prefer a 16GB i5. I think you are right, for PS and Clipstudio, and i5 is enough.

7. CameronTM

CameronTM Pen Pal - Newbie

I am so frustrated. The tip of my AC Adapter snapped off. Wacom does not have any spare AC Adapters for purchase until June 15th, and cannot give me a price for what they'll cost. It was my original hope to use a DOCK that woudld power the tablet anyway, so I shelled out $130 for a 180-watt DELL dock that should supply 60W of power through the USBC-DP cable. Well, it doesn't. It will charge my phone, but the MSP16 doesn't charge at all. Wacom says there is nothing they can do, and that ONLY the Wacom adapter can power the tablet. That's enough to make me mad to the point of returning the product, but I bought it in November and they only give you 30 days. I was planning on showing off my software as a Vendor on the MSP16 at a convention in June, but now I don't know that it will happen because I can't charge my $3000 brick for at least the next two weeks.

How in the world can you develop something so proprietary, and not have spare parts?

They also said the stand was delayed because of problems that made them redesign it.

Art_N00b likes this.
  8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@CameronTM I am sorry for your troubles and I agree that it is completely ridiculous that Wacom cannot provide you with something as simple as a replacement charger. It's not like they started selling the MSP just yesterday. Just another sign of their incompetence of dealing with actual customers.
    The stand issue provides another face-palm moment. Somewhere in this thread someone posted Wacom's offical statement regarding this which is basically a ridiculous excuse. Unbelievably, sometimes they work really hard to alienate their customers.

Now, as to your charging compatibility issues, I suspect the Dell dock (the Dell WD15?) might be the actual culprit. USB-Power-Delivery 2.0/3.0 (USB-PD) over USB-C is a complex issue.

If you haven't done it already try to charge the MSP when the MSP is turned off. If not, maybe see if you can test another 20V-capable (important!) USB-PD charger with the MSP.

If we assume the Dell dock is doing everything right, the MSP might still require a connected charger to be able to deliver up to 100W, due to its maximum power requirement. I am not 100% sure, but I think this might be well within the official USB-PD specification. This might be an unfortunate but understandable safety measure to make sure that an underperforming charger/dock with possibly poor built-in protection doesn't get fried. The only way to find this out however would be to find a third-party USB-PD spec-compliant 100 W charger and try it with the MSP.
    Wacom's statement "that ONLY the Wacom adapter can power the tablet" could be true (and would be a dumb design decision), but when it comes to USB-C and USB-PD, getting a reliable, technically correct answer from a customer service rep is like winning a lottery.

Back to the dock, my assumption that is might be the cuplrit is based on the fact that is doing some proprietary things when it comes to charging, is underperfoming in some aspect and there are a good amount of negative user reports. The dock uses a dual, proprietary connector on the dock side to be able to deliver more than 100W to Dell-specific devices. I don't know whether this had any effect on their design regarding USB-PD spec compliance for non-Dell devices, but it creates doubt. It can also not deliver 60 Hz at 4k resolution even though the DP Alt Mode spec allows it, since the dock uses only 2 lanes for video. With those deviations from the official (maximum) specs and critical user reports, I think the Dell dock is not a good example to verifiy compatibility of connected device.

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@kvoram how about the 87W Macbook Pro usb-c charger? Could it work in this case?

Specs:
    Input: 100-240V~1.5A 50-60Hz
    Output: 20.2V==4.3A or 9V==3A (USB PO) or 5.2V==2.4A

10. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm having issues with my Studio 13 and was wondering if it's an isolated or an issue that plagues all studio 13.
    -overheats (reduced after the the most recent windows update)
    -fan constantly on though not full throttle
    -severer backlight bleed
    -all the USB C doesn't seem to be recognizing any peripherals -
    -small pen hover distance and as a result will often recognize my palm and randomly touch stuff I don't want.
    - 3d camera doesn't seem to show preview in Artec Studio Ultimate or do I need an additional scanner attached?