Wacom MobileStudio Pro

Discussion in 'Artists' started by BobBee, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

2. eatboxman

eatboxman Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone run into overheating issues yet? I haven't, but I'm just curious.
    I worked on a heavy photoshop file, heavy after effects file, and heavy flash file all at the same time and I didn't really have any slow down problems, but the screen was kinda really warm lol.

I'm just a tad bit worried that overtime it will take an effect

3. p3numbra

p3numbra Pen Pal - Newbie

Best would be for you to monitor your temps .... if you haven't already.

I use coretemp for the cpu ( but there are others as well ... hwmonitor etc )... i always have it running on the MSP16 ( and on all of my pc/s laptops for that matter .... especially when i have overclocked hardware ) ... you can set it up to display the temps of your cores/ or highest temp of the cores in the task bar/systray ... you can also log the temps if need be ... or check coretemp window to assess for the max temp reached.

Tj max for i7-6567u is 100°C ... not sure if the max temp would be the same on the cores ... the one that coretemps reads ... but on an older laptop with a i7 quad core mobile ....do not recall the model .... when i was rendering in zbrush so all cores/threads to 100% ... the temps would reach 90s and would notice some cpu thorttle ...
    As long as you are in the 80s range .... and not keeping it there 24/7 ... i would not worry that much .. i had that laptop for 2-3 years and used it for 3d work/ zbrush etc and had no issues with cpu and high temps now and then.

For the Dedicated GPU i use GPU-z to monitor usage ... mem /gpu /temp usage while using 3d apps.

I have the i7 MSP16 and the cpu gets quite hot .... 80-85 degrees when set to max performance and charger plugged in ... that is in ps and painter.
    If i render something in zbrush i reached 88 max ... did not notice any cpu throttling at those temps.
    Ambient temp is around 20-22 ... i reckon during a 35 degrees summer day .. things will get hotter and probably some cpu throttling will occur .... but will wait and see.

Gpu can also get in the 80s range if i use maya/marmoset ... so heavy gpu apps.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Art_N00b likes this.
  4. eatboxman

eatboxman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I used coretemp on my old pc but it like bugged out and always said I had like 120 temp which wasn't true because I literally just started the comp.
    This is a new comp so I'll try it again

5. p3numbra

p3numbra Pen Pal - Newbie

Some of the newest versions might give errors/be unable to start depending on what version of win 10 you have ... on MSP i am currently running Version 1.0 RC9 without issues.

6. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm preparing to order the Wacom Link, but curious if there's any way to add fully functional USB-C to a desktop. The goal would be to only use a single USB-C to USB-C to a desktop.

I've come across a card that supports alt-mode by connecting a displayport from your graphics card to the USB-C Card. One of the USB-C ports supports both video and data.

SUNIX UPD2018: USB 3.1 10G & DisplayPort Alt-Mode Card with Dual USB Type-C

It's difficult to find and cost $69 on Amazon, the same price as the Wacom Link.

Wacom Link:
    • Pros: No drivers and just works
    • Cons: Messy setup due to small box hanging a foot or so from MSP, splitting to two cables, and likely another adapter since most computers don't have a mini-displayport. This can be avoided by spending even more for new cables with correct lengths and connectors.
    USB-C Card with DP-Alt Mode:
    • Pros: Clean setup using one cable
    • Cons: Possible driver and stability issues added to your workstation. Unforeseen issues with Wacom drivers.

EDIT: One forum user reported using this Sunix card with some success. But I'm confused about the issues he was having. Like, did it work perfectly as a 3rd monitor Cintiq before he attempted to mirror a lower-res display?

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...onnect-to-my-pc-without-the-wacom-link.71478/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Alayna

Alayna Pen Pal - Newbie

I do fantasy art mostly :D My work is at http://www.alayna.net
    My first Magic card comes out in July. yay!

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow! Your environment paintings are stunning!

9. Alayna

Alayna Pen Pal - Newbie

Aw thanks, still got a long ways to go though!
    If only the MSP worked better T____T

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I particularly like "The Eyes of Midgard". -Now that's a warrior princess! (Also, it looks like somebody I know. I need to forward that. :) )