Wacom Mobilestudio Pro for 3D?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by biggyschmalz, Feb 14, 2017.

1. biggyschmalz

biggyschmalz Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been lurking in this forum for a bit and have found this community to be the most thorough discussion of the MSP I've seen. I'm seriously considering getting a MSP but I have some questions I hope can be answered before dropping $3000. Are there any 3D artists here currently use the MSP, specifically those who paint textures? My current machine is chugging when painting a low poly model in PS and I'm hoping the MSP 16 (enhanced verison) would be a substantial upgrade, and not a lateral or backwards move. I've seen a lot of inconsistent reports of performance as Wacom, Windows, and Adobe all seem to be playing the update game. I jumped on the Companion when it came out and while great to draw on, was grossly underpowered and undersized for the work I wanted to do.

For reference, I have a Cintiq Companion 1 for home use, and an old desktop (AMD FX4100) hooked up to a 24" Cintiq at work. Feel free to let me know if I'm dumb for even considering it. I already know I need to upgrade and get a larger Cintiq for home and the MSP would do both. Any help would be appreciated!

2. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I use a Surface Pro 3 (i7) for all sorts of 3d stuff. ZBrush, Unity, Modo, etc. It doesn't lag on much heavier workflows than texturing a low poly model (although I've never done this in Photoshop, so the lag might be due to software)

My understanding is MSP is more powerful than a Surface Pro 3, and has a gpu.

Before I got the SP3, I really had my doubts that modern tablets could be used as workstations. A proper tower will always be better. But it sure hasn't seemed to slow me down at all. I use it for everything now.

biggyschmalz likes this.