Wacom Intuos Pro Large (PTH-860-S)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by erzane, Jul 7, 2018.

1. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually own a 21UX (DTK2100) but I'm always sweating during its use and the borders of the tablet are so hot. In addition to this, the image result isn't really good compared to the sharp and soft picture I can have on my Eizo Flexscan.

I'm sensitive to electricity. lightning and heat coming from electric machines and monitors, so it's very important to me to work on a neutral equipment when passing hours on it. Before, I had an Intuos2 which was very light and confortable (my best CG drawings were all made with it), but since I use a new PC, my Intuos is obsolet, connexions are too old and my computer don't handle it. I thought about to find an adapter but the best should be to sell my 21UX and buy a new model.

I'm interested on the Intuos Pro Large (PTH-860-S) and I would like to be sure there isn't any heating system inside. I guess only screen tablett have heating process but I'd like to avoid bad surprises since I saw a power button on it and I'm wondering about its use.

I guess actual generation of Wacom using screen tehnology have convenience issues due to heating process (properly hided by the market). I guess we should wait some several years to have a free heating technology on LED screens on tabletts. Anyway, I would like to know your opinion about the best tablett I could buy for a confortable use without any heat (and sweat)

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Martinn

Martinn Pen Pal - Newbie

I own an Intuos M (non pro) and there's nothing getting warm. Actually it cannot, I have the wireless kit installed and the small battery wouldn't have enough energy to heat the device for an extended period.
    So as the Intuos Pro already has the wireless mode built in, I'd assume that also there you won't have any noticeable heating. The power button is probably for turning the tablet on/off in wireless mode (it is on my Intuos).
    Also I am not aware that the Wacom digitizer technology changed since they initially patented it. The only change is probably the touch digitizer (which I disabled).
    But funny that you are mentioning heating. I tried drawing on my new Yoga 720-15 and what I really did not like was the heating of the screen, particularly as your hand rests on it. So I fully understand your concern... maybe try a tablet glove?

- Martin

3. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Martin,
    So Intuos Pros Wireless mode can be activated only if needed right?

Do you know a similar model from Wacom where wireless isn't built-in? I really don't need all that kind of gadgets and trying to find a good Wacom (large one) for a cheaper price.

Thanks

4. Martinn

Martinn Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know about the Intuos pro, maybe have a look at its manual. With my Intuos and wireless kit, it has a switch for starting the BT interface.
    From Wacom I guess the most basic is the Intuos Pro L, which has BT built in.

5. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, another info I don't find anywhere is the ambidextre mode. Since I use my left hand, all those boutons on the side will be a problem (even if I know it's possible to desactivate them by ''touch off''), can I rotate 180 the pad and use it as reverse?

6. Martinn

Martinn Pen Pal - Newbie

7. erzane

erzane Pen Pal - Newbie