Wacom experiencing Hard Times...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Mar 14, 2017.

1. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

On the list, its digitizer is unknown

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

1.I guess I misread it as 1920 x 1200. 2:3 is even better though.

2.I have heard about Elan as well and from what I can deduce, it use Wacom Chip paired with Elan touch panel instead of both coming from Wacom. I have heard good things about it but also that results can be varied between devices. Not needing it anyway but it looks like a much better value than the transformer Mini at that price. Wintab is not a big issue anymore if you use CSP or sketchbook...

3. okieiam

Some negative feed back, video included, about pen, even gaps and stops, There is a dedicate thread for it in this site.
    Even Wacom AES itself is not universally compatible across device, and the quality is varies across brand

4. okieiam

You are correct. Even though all S-pen technically work. Pen pressure is not adequate. And cursor off-set make them inconvenient for productive sketching. On the reverser order, small and long nib of Windows Wacom Tablet pen work for from precise in Note line. On my hand on test, only Galaxy Book pen work good on non Samsung Wacom devices

WillAdams likes this.
  5. chongzi

chongzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, I own an 21.5" IPS Drawing Tablet Monitor XP-PEN Artist 22E Pro . It's a screen tablet like a Cintiq 22 , and it was around 500/600 USD when I got it a year ago. In the time I've owned it, it's been mailed from PA to FL, and then toted multiple times across the Atlantic Ocean in a suitcase. It still works beautifully. It's a durable tablet. It's VESA mountable, and pretty light for what it is. You can also break down the device and the stand so it all lays flat. It's a fantastic device. I use it for 8-10 hours on the regular and it doesn't get too warm unless the room is hot. It works great as a second monitor as well, and everything looks fine on it.

The screen is fantastic. I had a bit of trouble setting it up, but not much. For some reason my computer didn't recognize it at first. I then reinstalled the driver, changed ports and then it worked.

And again, the screen is fantastic. It's big precise ( Have some parallax ) and it responsive (no drag).

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like Wacom had realeased a lower end Cintiq model to compete with Chinese competitor https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Cintiq-Drawing-Tablet-DTK1660K0A/dp/B07L77GTTY
    It had same digitizer as the pro 16 but with lower gamut display at 2k and doesn't seem to be laminated. But I find 2k safer, as review said that it's difficult and buggy to get 4k to works with USB-C and dongles.

Guess Wacom had to do it as competitor is getting better and better with laminated display, battery free pen with tilt and a bunch of shortcut button.

However I wonder if it would eat in to pro 16 sale, since all the addition 1000$ price give is a more proffessional, higher resolution, paralax free display. The pro doesn't even have the shortcut remote includes.

Did anyone use the new non-pro 16? I'm considering beetwen this and the 15.6 pro XP pen for my next year tablet :p. Wacom quality at that price is still not easy to see.

Edit: the non-pro 16 also does not have multi-touch

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    siddhartth and WillAdams like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yeah that hit a few weeks ago.....I have a few art friends who already purchased them and so far seem quite content with it. Price wise, I think its very attractive for Pro Pen 2 and a 15/16 inch screen. I have an aging 21ux (that still works well) and I was thinking of downsizing to free up desk space......but I have to admit, the lack of Multitouch and lack of express keys together kind of kill the purchase for me. I don't mind 2K or the lower color gamut, but Multitouch with Clip Studio has become so integrated into my workflow.....(pinch zooming, pinch rotating, and single finger panning) that really that alone just kind of kills my interest in the non-pro Cintiq. And the lack of Express Keys or sufficient bezel space to accommodate the express key remote just makes it worse. If it at least had the express key set up from the mobile studio Pro I could consider it.....but aside from the smaller size....it doesn't have any significant advantage up from my 21ux. The lack of express keys in a way makes it worse off for me.

But I still like that they are offering this.....and should they make a Non-Pro Cintiq 16 with multitouch and express keys, I would almost certainly buy it.