Wacom experiencing Hard Times...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

As someone who got burned by buying one of the Companion Hybrids, I'm not really too surprised they're struggling. My first tablet was a teeny graphire 2 and I have used exclusively wacom for years, but have found it really hard to recommend them as being worth the price lately, especially with the way the market is changing. Their customer service has been terrible and they drop support at the drop of a hat. Recently I managed to nab a Monoprice 22HD with a battery less pen for under 400$, and despite the horror stories of drivers, the drivers for this thing ended up causing way less issues than Wacoms.

With the hybrid, every time my pc went to sleep the pen would stop working and I had to power down the thing and hope it would register the pen input to the right monitor so I didn't have to reset the whole PC. Twice I had to revert drivers to an earlier version to fix pen issues. The pen feels way less nice on the Monoprice, but it just works. Right monitor, all the time. And it supports my favorite wacom hard felt nibs.

I suppose the one thing Wacom has right now is resale value since I hope to get half the money I spent on the Companion back when I find a place to sell it that won't take too much of the sale price (like ebay). No idea what the monoprices resale value would be like, but I'm so happy with it I don't see wanting to sell it off til I get a good 10 years out of it.

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

I have also experienced Lenovo AnyPen tech in Yoga Book. Very impressive, why don't they just add Bluetooth for pressure?
    Banana may beat apple to doom day

3. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

In many ways, it's their own fault. Why does everything I need including extra nibs, the Wacom Link etc come with the Cintiq Pro but not their flagship Mobile Studio? I mean, how much do nibs cost them? Even the Wacom Link and stand, together they probably cost almost nothing to make. They have never really listened to their customers. Almost 3k for a 27QHD? Come on, its a display with a digitizer.

4. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

They want $1500 for a 16" Cintiq when Dell is rolling out a 27" with a complete software package for a couple of hundred more. They are doing this to themselves. Price competitively to sell more. The niche market has turned to other devices. Instead, their devices are getting more expensive.

5. okieiam

Wacom hard time is the sign of declining market share of digital art. Who are there customers? All are digital artists and hobbyists.
    I made a mistake as touch and pen almost useless for CAD/CAM engineering such as AutoCAD

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it has more to do with greater abundance of general pen tech being cheaper. Go back 4-6 years and you would be very hard pressed to find an Active Penabled tablet PC for sale under $1000.....Aside from the cheap and used eBay market......the cost of a tablet PC was mostly in the same ballpark as Wacoms own products. But now....with ample selections....now across multiple platforms......S-Pen Android Tablets, IPads and Apple Pencils, Overall cheaper Windows 10 2-in-1 devices with Core Ms or Core i5s.....all in the $500-$1000 range has made digital art....overall more affordable to get into. Where as Wacom may still be arguable the biggest name in pen town....it's no longer the only name.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. okieiam

Professional artist are stick to Wacom as many people opinion here. But other alternative cheaper device just for fun, they are newcomer not Wacom loyal customers I think

8. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

A lot of us that have been using Wacom a long time, about 15 years in my case, are starting to jump ship too as cheaper options are becoming impressively viable. I bought a 22HD Monoprice screen with batteryless pen for 400$ that has honestly worked better for me than my last Cintiq and Intuos. I paid 1,200$ for my Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid, and they updated the darn thing once. Wacom needs to severely drop their prices or up their game so they're worth it.

They really need a heck of a wake up call, because I don't want them going under... I need them to keep making those darn hard felt nibs I'm addicted to ( and the monoprice pen takes them <3)

9. okieiam

Wow sound sweet, I hope they ship it to my city Hanoi

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can see Wacom having to downsize a lot, but never actually falling off the map entirely. They still hold their own special sauce and branding.

But their real hay-making years are behind them now that competition has opened up.

Now they're like everybody else, having to survive on razor-thin margins in a non-volume sales niche.

Competing with Microsoft, for instance, is deadly! -Microsoft can afford huge, luxurious R&D expenses on what amounts to an experimental hobby shop, pulling funding from the other various deep reserves of the rest of their company. Wacom doesn't have a games platform or corporate OS licensing department to draw upon when they decide to develop a new product. And they can't afford any mistakes either; whatever they build must be profitable, or it could sink the ship!

Then you have these Chinese garage shops making second-rate tablets which don't depend on feeding an existing stable of employees. A couple of kids working out of their apartments can screw up Wacom's whole existence by tapping the mighty production engine of China's tech development parks.

As those second rate tablets are refined to the point where they're not even a distant second...

I can see a likely scenario being that Wacom might cut bait and sign over their enterprise to be absorbed by Samsung or somebody like that.

darkmagistric likes this.