Wacom EMR vs. N-Trig vs. Wacom AES

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, except one is due to parallax and the other isn't.

It doesn't matter. People are going to continue to get it wrong and (if tablet computing was popular enough, which it isn't) then the definition would be changed later on to accommodate popular lexicon rather everybody spontaneously getting it right. Same way a "meme" isn't actually a piece of cheap wisdom printed on clip art and shared around Facebook. Except.., now it is, because enough people misused the term over a long enough period.

And that's okay. Language is there to serve people, not the other way around. -Even though it sometimes makes you want to rip your hair out when you're the only one not getting it wrong.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    blackcat and Selofain like this.
  2. The5

The5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx for the clarification. I only learned about parallax in this thread (my bamboo got no screen after all so I never thought about this) and already wondered whether it is really such a big deal.
    I did not see how AES/EMS and N-trig should have better parallax than EMR. But I was under the assumption it had something to do with the ticker layer for EMR that was mentioned here more early. (Which darkmagistric already clarified to not really be the case.)
    Now the new part is that AES/EMS require no calibration since they work diffidently is certainly more understandable.
    What I am taking for this is that, with proper calibration the difference between stylus and actual drawing position is a non-issue with either tech.

EDIT:
    I need some more clarification. So Photoshop CS4 (and possibly the free CS2):
    • will NOT work at all on any devices with N-trig. Like the Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4. I would need to get the latest PS or a alternate app.
    • will work perfectly on any device with Wacom EMR. Like the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. I can use any other Wacom pen, so it's sometimes referred to as "Penabled".
    • ??? on devices with Wacom AES/EMS. The pens are not standardized so they are not interchangeable between devices.
    • any other techs, like synaptic, will NOT work with PS CS4 (or will not work wit pressure sensitivity in general?)
    Hah, and I thought I could just walk into a local store and grab any windows tablet with a stylus ;P

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. CS4 and others may work....but they may not work well.....N-Trig has offered a Wintab Driver but I found its results kind of poor. When I first got my Surface Pro 3 I installed photoshop CS5 on it and I found the results kind of lacking. Once I took the plunge for Photoshop CC it was a marked improvement. The inclusion of multitouch gestures and the UI resizing we're also very very useful.
    2. CS4 should run just fine on any EMR based tablet so long as you Wacoms Feel it driver installed. And aside from some more recent pens which will have an offset or gimped pressure (s-pen) all tablet PC pens branded under Wacom Penabled or Feel It would be cross compatible.
    3. Wacom AES, despite using a different pen tech still uses the same Feel it driver that EMR pens used so CS4 should in theory run just fine on tablets with Wacom AES. And aside from Wacoms own AES smart pen they are releasing, most AES pens are not cross compatible the way EMR pens were.
    4. Synaptics I'm not sure of....but I highly doubt. Your better off just steering clear of any tablet with a Synaptics pen.

The5 likes this.
  4. The5

The5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! That helps me a lot with finding a possible tablet darkmagistric!
    I don't want to derail this into my "What tablet to buy?" thread, but from the looks of it I am fine to go with either Wacom tech.
    The main issue I have is that I can't find any old Wacom EMR tablets on retail since they are just not being sold anymore. (I still hesitate to buy used ones or anywhere but amazaon.)
    Now that I know that Wacom AES/EMS would work too (without technical or quality issues) my repertoire of possible tablets expanded.
    So I would actually just need to find a "current" Tablet with either Wacom system (that meets my other specs), so I can actually grab it on retail or amazon.
    Would appreciate more suggestions over at my thread.

5. Olivier A.

Olivier A. Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe you should check the Fujitsu Stylistic ST 5112, an old tablet (2007) but very affordable on ebay (about 200 USD), which works fine with Windows 7, CS4, Mangastudio and you can put a SSD inside (it gives a good boost to the device). I got one since 3 years and I cannot complain. Test and Youtube video here

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, Wacom’s AES isn’t all that compatible.

The Wacom Bamboo Smart 2-in-1 I imported from Japan doesn’t quite work w/ my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

i just don't understand why WACOM would further contribute to fragmentation by essentially giving every OEM a slightly different AES tech...

siddhartth and WillAdams like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I also don't understand how Samsung is the ONLY OEM who seemingly has no problem getting wacom EMR into super thin devices, and no issues with edge accuracy either....

siddhartth, Selofain and stoneseeker like this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

they definitely stick the sensor closer to the pen nib, which helps mitigate offset considerably. Why no one else does that is beyond me.

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sad to report that the new Feel driver doesn't do anything to improve compatibility of the Toshiba Encore 2 Write. I'm testing a pre-release I just got this morning and the only pen to work properly is still the original Toshiba TruPen.

I also learned that it's possible for devices to meet the Wacom AES spec without technically being Wacom tablets! The Lenovo Miix 700 and HP Spectre x2 both have Elan touch sensors that adhere to the spec, therefore working with the pens. But in order for them to be supported by the Feel driver (and offer Wintab, calibration and button configuration), Elan and/or the OEM would have to specifically request support from Wacom. Argh!

siddhartth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.