Wacom EMR vs. N-Trig vs. Wacom AES

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea and crumpets

Tea and crumpets Scribbler - Standard Member

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy crap.

That's enough to make a person re-think the bike basket!

Honestly; it's ridiculous that they didn't find some way to put the pen inside the tablet. Even a lanyard option would be better than nothing.

I suspect these thicker AES pens are going to present this kind of trouble for many manufacturers. Unless Wacom incorporates a different kind of power supply, -a super capacitor perhaps, then in a world enamored with pointlessly thin electronics, styluses are going to be rattling around a lot and getting lost, I think.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

To be honest though, I believe Toshiba will charge less in overseas markets. They always gouge their home market, feeling they don't have the same competition as abroad.

4. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I just checked US website and chatted with sales rep. Extra pens are still not for sale in US. So while pricey in Japan, at least they are available.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Ouch! Hopefully those prices will come down (a lot). I love being able to pick up the Samsung full sized EMR pens for 10 bucks. I have them sprinkled around everywhere (like Precuve's AAAA batteries =P).

Precurve likes this.
  6. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I find the Trupen external clip to be acceptable/clever (and it does come with a lanyard in the box - but that's not for me). I lost my t904 penabled wacom stylus from its built in garage (within the first 30 days) while on an airplane once. I've subsequently given the new stylus a single wrap of cellophane tape to increase the fit. And of course the surface has no garage either.
    BTW:this is a pretty cool little external clip for the surface http://cleanint.com/cleanstylus-surface-pro/

I agree they could use ultracaps in future versions. But the ultimate limiting factor on pen thinness isn't tech its human factors. Most people won't like a stylus for regular use that's thinner than a pencil. My t904 built-in is for emergencies only. I've been experimenting with a way to clip an aftermarket wacom onto the outside of my t904.

7. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just noticed that since this thread was last active, there have been a few notable developments with these various digitiser technologies. N-Trig has improved with Surface Pro 4, Wacom has just shown their latest AES stylus, and Apple has launched their Pencil.

Meanwhile it appears that everyone including Samsung is moving away from EMR. I'm guessing Wacom will market the Cintiq Companion as the only EMR equipped tablet going forward, although they didn't reveal any next gen Companion at this latest CES, so perhaps they aren't committed to annual updates like everyone else.

I've been using the Surface Pro 4 for painting, and in this scenario I don't encounter the jitter effect because I'm mostly doing short strokes at a reasonable speed, so in that regard I'm relieved. I have however noticed the additional required activation force compared to EMR, which definitely requires you to adapt.

I haven't used AES yet because I haven't really seen any desirable tablets that support it. When I tested the apple pencil it didn't show any of the quirks that N-Trig still has, so I would assume if apple found a way to overcome those issues then Wacom should be able to.

Do improvements in active stylus technology mostly occur in the pen itself rather that the screen? I'd like to think that if the eventual Surface Pro 5 brings significant improvements to the pen, and if that pen is backwards compatible, then the Pro 4 would receive those same benefits.

8. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

The iPad Pro's pen sampling rate is 240Hz vs N-Trig at 140Hz. I wonder if Microsoft upped the sampling rate it would fix the diagonal jaggies that appear when drawing slowly. Hmmmm.

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's not a sampling rate issue, slow sampling rate affects fast motions, not slow ones. Drift is likely caused by lack of nearby sensors. Wacom has drift on screen edges for this reason. Moving the pen slowly may create drift when some sensors are seeing a lot of change while others see change that's on par with the noise level, leading the device to misinterpret the motion.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just want an AES stylus which:

- is compatible w/ my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 (and future Toshiba tablets)
    - which isn’t made of cold, slippery metal
    - which automatically powers down (AFAICT the TruePen only powers down when capped)
    - and has a higher hover distance so as to engage palm rejection a bit sooner

surfaceproartist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.