Wacom EMR vs. N-Trig vs. Wacom AES

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Yeah Kuma! I'd be interested in knowing if that has potentiometers like the old EMR pen. I like a smushy feel on the tip and by adjusting those pots you can get some great custom feel.

Kuma or precurve or the other guy that had a slew of TPCs:
    Have you noticed if the AES pen becomes unresponsive out of the blues? It seems to be common with N-Trig. I have it with my SP3 and the only way to get it back is to remove and replace the AAAA battery.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had it now over a month and use it every day and have never had it become unresponsive or need a reset.

3. Precurve

Sorry for the cross posting but I'm trying to keep my reviews in the Encore Write specific thread:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...t8-b-encore-2-write.63815/page-12#post-428825

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@Precurve
    I had no problems rotating the clip while holding the battery cover in place.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

5. Precurve

hmmm. My clip is locked into the battery cover. I can't tell if its soldered or pinned and until I can buy a replacement I don't want to over-torque it.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, over the course a few days (and several detailed videos)—you have convinced me. I know you won't say it, so let me: :vbtongue:

This looks to be a Wacom UD killer.

I never thought a new digitizer tech could pass all the rigorous digitizer tests I've come up with over the years (or find a person willing perform will to perform them all :vbwink:).

So it looks like AES sacrifices 0-10% tracking precision/responsiveness, and maybe 50% hover distance, for huge gains in accuracy and pressure curve consistency/control (and reduced the price).

For a first gen product, this is simply amazing! Does anyone else find it totally embarrassing for N-Trig, that Wacom was able to utterly destroy it at it's own game in one try?

Unfortunately, this means (once again) that Wacom is going to have a hold on the best-in-class digitizers on the market...I'm now kinda sad that we'll never being be seeing this on the Surface Pro, or the new Vaio Canvas. Grgh!!

7. Kumabjorn

Look at it this way; Now N-Trig has to come up with something even better, and since they now have access to Microsoft's talent pool as well as their deep pockets, they might just do that. To me it looks like competition in the digitizer market is heating up and that is not a day too early.

8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd love to have AES performance in future N-trig products. Yeah, Wacom's first trial pretty much addresses most complaints in N-trig, while retaining advantages from their aging EMR tech.

I'd love Apple to apply this or similarly great digitizer in their iPad Pro or whichever next pen-able iPad. This will urge MS to improve N-trig to the next level.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I love how you guys are so optimistic. :)

I would be too, but comparing capacitive techs, N-Trig seems to have an Achilles' heel of hover precision/latency. Atmel, Synaptics and now Wacom AES to do not suffer from this, so it makes me wonder how much magic Microsoft can actually work to solve inherent problems with the tech.

Also, let's say it takes 1-2 years for N-Trig to become nearly as good as Wacom AES v1, meanwhile Wacom will have improved drivers/firmware with AES v2 (perhaps totally surpassing UD at this point).

So we'll still be stuck in the same boat again, where otherwise great tablets will still be stuck playing catchup to Wacom...argh!

10. Kumabjorn

Today I ordered replacement pens from Toshiba, $100 a piece, so don't drop them like I did.

Precurve likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.