Wacom EMR Phone/Tablet LTE/3g 7"-8"

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ScottyK, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyK

ScottyK Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been a long time lurker and have found this site super helpful. I recently broke my note 4 and am looking for a replacement. I'd like a larger screen so I can use it as a notepad as well as a phone. I have an old 2013 Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" which fits in my pocket but it's slow and has no pen so am looking for an alternative. The best I can find is the Galaxy Tab A (8.0, LTE) with S Pen (from 2015) I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendation or advice?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    No Budget

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Android/Chrome OS can be a phone or a tablet

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 8-inches

5. Which country do you intend to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Australia

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No.. I'd like it to be EMR

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 10hrs?

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Daily Phone...Emails/Calls/Drawing/Notes

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Android or Chrome OS... Windows would be nice but unrealistic for a phone

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Autodesk Sketchbook

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? ..
    Maybe

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Higher the better,

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors?
    Yes

3. Do you require a pen?
    Would like Wacom EMR

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Any

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    MicroSD .. LTE/3G

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

Need to just fit in my pocket... 8" would fit the bill

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Need to be usable as my daily phone

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 not exactly what you have described?

dellaster likes this.
  3. ScottyK

ScottyK Pen Pal - Newbie

Hehe, you're right I have, it's not what I'm after though. It is taller but not as wide as the earlier notes. I found with the note it was still a little too small to draw on comforably and found I didnt use the pen often.. so looking for something a bit larger. I use a galaxy book 12 which is great draw on but not quite as portable. I like the idea of always having something I can draw on at a reasoable size on me all the time. I might go to 9.7" but its probably a little large..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that Tab A is going to be the best you'll get if you want something bigger than the current Note 8 phone. But as I understand that Tab A can be hard to come by. The current note 8 phone isn't big enough for you? It's 6 inches, just really tall and narrow vs the 4:3 of the Tab A.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Steve B

Also, I’ve got the 8.0, and while not the zippiest tablet ever, it’s more than adequate for my mobile pen needs, and easily as fast or faster than a number of recent Atom windows tablets I’ve had. I couldn’t imagine using it as a phone though.

7. ScottyK

ScottyK Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the input! The Active2 might be the one.. Although I do like the 4:3 aspect of the 8.0, I think it just pushes it past pocketable. I'll see if I can test another 8" tablet at a shop to see if it fits in my pocket :). I'd still be little worried the Active 2 may be too thick ... also I think the 8.0 would sit nicer on a desk... all food for thought. Thanks for the help!

8. Steve B

The Tab A 8.0 from 2015 is peocketable (I do it all the time while meeting with clients), but there’s no doubt it’s chunky. It just fits.

The Tab Active 2 is .38” thick. Definitely thicker than the Tab A 8.0, but probably about the same depth as an iPhone in an aftermarket protective case. It is built rugged after all.

They’re pretty similar in size though, honestly looking it up, the Active 2 is .5” narrower, .25” taller, and .10” fatter. That’s the difference. They’re both under a pound, but the Tab A is about .6 lbs and the Active 2 is about .9- just a little less than a current iPad.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. ScottyK

ScottyK Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Steve, thanks for the insight on the 2015 Tab A 8.0 pocketableness and dimension research. I almost convinced my self to get the Active 2 yesterday but I'm still concerned with the fatness/bulk. I'm leaning back towards the Tab A now :) 4:3 is still preferable and 337 is less to spend if I decide not to use it.. but man it's hard to make a decision...

4:3 vs 16:9 - Tab A wins
    Thin vs Thick - Tab A wins
    Wide vs Narrow - Active 2 Wins
    Slower vs Faster - Active 2 Wins
    Fragile vs Durable - Active 2 Wins
    $337AU vs $795AU - Tab A wins

With the Tab A.. How do you find the speed? Is there any lag with using the keyboard? Is there much choppiness while scrolling?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. Steve B

I went into the developer settings (you can look up how to get to that), and improved a variety of settings for smoother scrolling and visual responsiveness. It helped a lot. It’s not as smooth or quick as an iPad, but I find it smooth enough. Better than some of the Atom Windows tableta I’ve had.

I have a whole thread on it I made to organize my process. You can look it up. I think it’s in the Samsung forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.