Wacom EMR Based Tablet PC Pens

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RockRaccoon, Mar 6, 2016.

1. RockRaccoon

RockRaccoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello again guys! So I'm interested in getting a pen for my tablet PC, but I'm curious to know which pens are best for the different criteria. The tablet PC the pen is for is Wacom Feel (EMR) based. So... which pens do you know of that are best in terms of:
    1: Pressure Sensitivity (which ones get 1,024 levels of pressure?)
    2: Parallax (some pens don't actually draw where the pen tip hits the screen. Which ones are the most accurate? I'm finding the Fujitsu pen is kind of terrible for parallax!)
    3: Overall, which one is your favorite and why?

Thanks guys!

Aman likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In regards to Pressure Sensitivity, Parallax, and overall cursor accuracy, it actually depends on the Tablet PC itself, not just the pen.

Which Tablet PC are you using?

3. RockRaccoon

RockRaccoon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using a Fujitsu Lifebook T936

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll admit I'm not familiar with that specific tablet, but I googled it and its running off a Skylake Core, but with EMR right? With the mass exodus of OEMs shifting from EMR To AES pen tech, that's kind of rare, and probably one of the last EMR tablets.

No matter what pen you use on it, the Pressure sensitivity will be the same. Given its no doubt using more recent "Feel it" EMR, its most likely set for 1024 levels of pressure. More so by way of a firmware numbering go around, but regardless if its rocking 256 levels or 1024, it should easily suffice for your art needs. Plenty of pros have been doing professional grade artwork on Tablet PCs back in the day. Initial Activation force....(which randomly varries amongst EMR Pens depending on how easily and deep the nib recoils into the pen) almost negates pressure levels anyway.

Parallax is sort of a two sided issue. Depending on how thick the glass is over the digitizer panel, this varies slightly to signifciantly from tablet to tablet amongst all OEMs. I can't speak for your lifebook T936, but generally the Surface Pro 1 & 2, as well as all of (or more recent anyway) Samsung's Galaxy Note Devices have very very low Parallax due to them optically bonding the digitizer panel to the glass. But even amongst fujitsu's voluminous catalog of Tablet PC's over the years, I'd imagine this factor differs amongst their tablet lines.
    If the stock included pen has really bad Parallax...there's not much you can really do except train your eye/hand to draw by the cursor....not the pen tip. It may not sound like much of an answer, but after a short while, you'll get used to it and do it subconsciously to the point where the Parallax won't even bother you anymore.

However the 2nd half of Parallax is related nowadays more to the nib size. Older EMR pens all used to use the same size nibs, and they were interchangeable amonst all the Tablet PCs by all different OEMs. However when Samsung started using Wacom's tech and branding it as their S-pen....they devised much smaller nibs and pen tips. This was for a time an exclusive issue with Samsung devices only....because older EMR pens used longer nibs, to use and older EMR pen on a Samsung device....while it would work, the nib change would offset the cursor....worse then Parallax itself. And even now with the Note 5, the initial activation force of the note is so low that its very very difficult to use older EMR Pens on the Note 5 because you have to put way too much pressure to get even a faint response.

However this has gone past just Samsung devices....and some of the more recent EMR pens by other OEMs use the same smaller nib/pen tip. Case in point the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 10. I'm not familiar with the nib on the T936's stock pen, but if its using the newer/smaller nibs....that would mean older Fujitsu and general EMR pens might work worse on it then the stock pen.

However I would recommend trying an older Fujitsu pen first.....mainly because they are quite plentiful and cheap off Ebay

This one in the link below has a Backend eraser, dual side switches, and its a full size pen....for $5 bucks....$9 with shipping.....you can't really beat that. Even it it works worse then the stock pen, its a very minor loss at most, and you can recuperate the loss by just skipping on your next Frappachino or Latte the next time two times you go to a starbucks. And there are plenty of other auctions and many different pens you can search for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fujitsu...903071?hash=item2a62c808df:g:yv4AAOSwFqJWiD8i

However should the cheap old Fujtisu pens offset worse on your T936......the only other option would be the Samsung Bamboo Smart Pen (for Samsung Devices) since that as well uses the smaller nibs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacom-Bambo...287640?hash=item4af57e7e18:g:6G4AAOSwnH1WazzA

But that one is more expensive....$30-$50....and you only get one side switch and no back end eraser. So I would try the older Fujtisu pen first, and if thats a no-go you can spring for the Bamboo Smart Pen.

ATIVQ, Aman and WillAdams like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

You can't expect better from junk Fujitsu, a cheater commercial brqnd. my fried go with a Samsung device if u need an EMR pen or just go with the new surface Pro.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

My fried, why are you necro-posting to this thread with your irrelevant "advice"? OP wasn't complaining about his tablet, nor looking to switch brands, and wrote this back in March. Their question was politely and promptly answered by the good folks on this site. No need to flood our forums with brand slamming rambling on old threads...

Aman, thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  8. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

I fear there will not be a great solution for this .It is difficult to find an accurate pen in your case, try different S-Pens of different Samsung models and see on your tablet if it works for you.
    It would be an trial and error method.

At this point of time ,people who have moved on to modern computing and need an EMR tablet are excited about Samsung notebook 9 Pro 2 in 1.
    Modern computing means no parralax or offset and near to cintiq experience on a mobile 2 in 1.I think Samsung is delivering it magically with the notebook 9 pro without needing for any basic calibration out of the box.

Let me not interfere here further.Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017