Wacom Companion i5 vs i7

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Johnnyx119, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyx119

Johnnyx119 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using the Wacom Intuos for over a year now and it hasn't been suiting my needs as an artist. I bought a Surface Pro 3 but I found it was terrible to draw on and I am looking at buying a Wacom Companion. I can't decide wether to buy the companion with the i5 or the i7. I will also be using it for gaming every once and awhile. Is it really worth the extra money to buy the i7? Or just settle for the i5.

2. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

In terms of processor speed, the i7 isn't worth it. The i5 has a max boost clock of 2.9 GHz, while the i7 will boost up to 3.4 GHz. Certainly not a night and day difference. Both have 8GB of RAM so that's not a differentiating factor either.

However, the more important difference between the i5 and i7 models is that the i5 model only comes with a small 128GB SSD, while the i7 model comes with 256 or 512GB. The formatted space of a 128GB SSD is about 118 or 119GB, and the Windows installation will take up another ~20GB. The Windows page file will take up another 8GB (you can reduce this manually if you wish). So, with default settings, you'll be left with about 90GB of empty space on the 128GB model, before installing any programs, Windows updates, etc. If there is a recovery partition on the tablet, you'll probably only have 80-85GB free at the start.

Thus, you may find that 128GB gets filled up quickly once you start installing things like games and space-intensive programs like Adobe Creative Suite.

If the price difference is $300 or less, I'd probably go for the i7 version for the larger SSD. If you're handy with computers, you can also look into upgrading the SSD on the i5 model. It may be possible if it uses a standard m.2 SSD.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think the i7 is worth the price premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Johnnyx119

Thanks for the feedback! I live in Canada and it'll cost me $2,500 with tax for the i5 model and $3000 for the i7 model. I think i'm leaning more torwards the i5 model.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was gonna hold out for the enhanced i7 model, but early on I caved and bought the i5, and I haven't had a single regret yet. The i5 & 8GB of Ram has taken everything I've thrown at it.....so far....but desktop aside, I've been making due with less powerful rigs, so I can see the i5 model working quite well for me for the foreseeable future.

and the small 128GB SSD is actually better for me then the 256 or 512. I have alot of productivity issues (as in I'm lazy and easily distracted), so having a small 128GB drive kind of helps me from loading it up with anything not art-related. The only programs I have installed on it is Photoshop CC, Manga Studio 5 EX, Sketchbook Pro, Daz3D, and Firefox, and I still have 70GB left. So since I don't have any videos, movies, games, or comics on it, when I use it, all I can really use it for is art, so my productivity goes up.

6. Johnnyx119

Thank you for giving me your opinion!! I think I will be going with the i5!!! :)

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

another good option is the i3 model, add more ram and bigger ssd if needed. it runs silent and is plenty fast for painting. the other models run very hot and loud. i have the enhanced, and i wish i had just gotten the low end one. good news is wacom has 30 day return policy. so if its too slow, u can return it for a faster model. or just plug it into a workstation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.