Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, there might be others. As Shogmaster showed in another thread, some machines are being released with digitizers that will support NTrig pens even though the machines aren't being advertised as penabled. I don't know where you get the info on what digitizer tech is in a given machine, but i'll bet that a bunch of these upcoming 4k 'smart tvs' could potentially be repurposed as big drawing tablets. Hey Shogmaster, how did you discover that the Envy had an MPP panel? I tried to google up some refs but came up blank.

DaniJoy likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Even if larger screens end up being N-trig compatible....the biggest issue is that Electro Static Pens (AES, N-Trig, Apple Pencil, etc) perform better with a denser digitizer grid......which at the 20+ size range makes them almost prohibitively expensive compared to EMR. Part of the reason the Surface Studio is so expensive is because of its screen more then anything. And provided its the generic flavor of MPP and not the current NSP/Book 2 flavor........the drawing experience would be pretty crummy.

DaniJoy likes this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, I see. I wonder how it is that the digitizer grid scales up so poorly, compared to the screens themselves.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The entire electrostatic pen method was devised by piggybacking the pen data off of the Pro-cap touch data. Now if you see a lot of those multi-touch all in one Desktops in the 20-inch range, they can put out large multitouch moniters cheaply because the capacitive touch portion of the display (which doubles as the digitizer grid) isn’t that dense and overall less complex. More then sufficent for multi-touch and finger based input.....but to add a pressure sensitive pen into the mix....which is far more precise then a finger, requires a superior digitizer grid to be used. This doesn’t just help pen input. Apple has always employed a dense Pro-cap system into their iPads to make touch input more natural and intuitive, and as a side effect, that is partially why the Apple Pencil works as well as it does.

Now if your using an EMR system....the pens digitizer grid is completely separate from the Pro-cap for touch....so you could put a crapier multi-touch system in place...which again for most Systems is usually sufficent enough for touch input....and with the pen data being completely separate...you don’t even have to worry about that. That is why EMR is still the king for larger devices, since the larger 24-32 inch EMR digitizer grid coupled with a less dense 24-32 inch pro-cap touch screen would be cheaper then making a super dense 24-32 Pro cap touch screen. The Surface Studio in that regard is the first and still the only one of its kind.

DaniJoy, thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Surface Hub uses the Surface Pen, but it's not cheap...

6. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think Dell Canvas is a good buy if the 24" 4k Cintiq is supposed to cost $1999. That said typing $1999 just got me thinking, do I really want to throw all that money down lol
    Will Dell even continue supporting the canvas 1-2 years down the line?

7. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

8. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

The verge need to upgrade their camera lol
    So late February...mmm

9. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

"The 24-inch model will have separate pen-only or pen-and-touch display versions and will be available in late February."

What does this mean, to get the touch version it will be more money? Late Feb and spring means they blew it again. To me, there might as well not be a date at all once they miss it once.

YVerloc likes this.
  10. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah. To milk us more lol