Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This looks neat. I know it's not a perfect solution, but can you maybe try to prevent the system shutdown by either enabling the Windows Shutdown Event Tracker (in which case a window would pop up for you to confirm shutdown), or use the good old ShutdownGuard (I haven't tried it on Windows 10):

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78343-enable-disable-shutdown-event-tracker-windows-10-a.html
    https://4sysops.com/archives/four-ways-to-stop-a-shutdown-or-reboot/

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh no, it doesn't shut down windows. The triple tap of left ring finger shuts down the Wearable keyboard itself.....Windows is still fine.....the flaw is that when the Tap Wearable Keyboard shuts down by the tripple tap, whatever layer you're on in Photoshop and Clip Studio gets completely cleared. Like the layer is still physically there in the layer toolbox....but whatever your wrote/draw on the layer....just clears out leaving the layer completely empty. And it bypasses the undo/redo function so you can't get the work back.

3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow that's kind of crazy. How does an input device manage to clear the layer in two entirely separate apps and do so bypassing the undo stack? I'm a software developer and I can't even imagine how that would work.

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's stupid.

These devices absolutely need to allow the user to program all the logical buttons (other than on/off switches and such), so nonsense like that doesn't happen. Even if the designers had good intentions, it's always great to allow a user to find new uses for a device.

Suggested hardware fix: Pry out the button with flathead screwdriver and never look back. Problem solved!

YVerloc likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

Actually virtually every tap and tap combination is fully user programable....except for the auto shut off command which is the only command hard wired into the device. Since a common usage scenario of the Tap is to use it with your phone....like if you want to text message someone while driving....the idea is that you can tap on the steering wheel or something. But if you want to do something else, like grab and hold a cup of coffee....that kind of action could accidently tripper an input tap.....so the rational I think is they wanted a sort of....instant and intuitive way to disengage the tap.

As for your hardware fix.....sadly there is only one actual button, but that button isn't the problem. The tap is basically a system of connected rings you wear around your fingers....the ring on each finger is what registers the tap....trying to physically remove the left ring finger key would probably break the device (or it would take the pinky ring function with it.)

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  6. darkmagistric

Pardon hijacking the thread so far away from Cintiqs, but here's a quick video I did to illustrate the problem with the Tap. Sorry the video is so dark.

Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sounds like a worthy comment to make on Amazon or wherever you bought it. So close and yet.., so far!

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I suppose it clears the layer with the Del command and then clears also the history.
    You could try and see if there's any keystroke assigned for the Clear History commands and then change it to see if you then you can at least undo the clear layer command.
    Not a solution but it might be worth investigating.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

I looked for a bit....every keystroke combination to select/clear layer at least leaves the undo stack intact....and that method of clearing a layer requires the layer at least be selected before hand. I couldn't find any keyboard shortcut/combo equivalent that could clear the layer quite like the Tap Keyboard does. It seems like such a damn shame since this would be the perfect keyboard shortcut device for express key-less devices like Surfaces, Galaxy Books, as well as the 13/16 inch Cintiqs that don't have enough bezel space to fully fit the remote. I messages/chated the companys support......so.....someone in their company is at least aware of the issue......not that there is any guarantee it ever will be addressed.....but its been 2-3 weeks since I message/chated the company and there hasn't been an update to the taps firmware since. I probably should post a warning review on Amazon for other Artists who may consider it. But the device's overall support still needs alot of work. For example....to use it with my Surface.....I had to create the Tap Mapping on my Surface using their Website (which wouldn't load on my phone).....and then Connect the Tap to my Android (or iOS) phone....update the mapping to the Tap....via the phone app.....and then disconnect the tap from my phone, and then properly connect the Tap to my Surface. When you're experimenting with creating the Tap Maps....this is a really annoying drawback since you can't just use it with a Surface....you have to bounce between devices to get this thing working. Allegedly a Windows App is in the works....but it seems like such a glaring oversight.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Del (or Backspace, Ctrl+Del, Ctrl+Backspace) simply clears the layer you're working on, no need to select anything.
    If right after that you were to clear the History, then you wouldn't be able to undo the layer clearing.

That said, I checked but there's no keystroke assigned by default to the command "Clear memory: history". If you want to understand what's going on you'll have to use something like Autohotkey that can see what keystrokes the Tap Keyboard is sending when it shuts off.