Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Can you plug the Express Key remote in with a hard line connection? Just a straight USB cable from remote to computer?

2. thatcomicsguy

Never mind...

From an Amazon review:

"I wanted to use this as a companion for my Intuos Pro, hooked up by USB at all times - primarily for rotating the canvas in PS with my left hand. I don't need wireless, I don't need a battery, I just want an always-on peripheral like my tablet. The problem with this device is that its power-saving sleep behavior can't be disabled, meaning it turns itself off after 10 minutes if you don't touch it. Imho, if it's tethered to USB it should stay on, or at the very least provide a toggle for this behavior in the Wacom preferences. As it is, the unpredictable state of the device makes it more of a disruption than a benefit, as more or less every time I would try to use it I'd have to stop what I was doing to turn it back on. I contacted Wacom support a couple weeks ago about this and they completely ignored my comments, just gave me the procedural 'reset the device' routine. This thing could be great, but so far the experience has been a total waste of time."

So.., a broken product. And Wacom at its worst. Answer your emails like grownups. Sheesh.

YVerloc likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Why?
    If you're someone who uses the keyboard during work it's great. And you'll hardly see it turning off unless you go have a coffee.
    If you don't use the keyboard you'll find yourself with the remote off all the time, but then again you might want to consider you simply don't need a device like this.
    I don't need it most of the time, I only plug its dongle when I need to do some technical stuff, otherwise I know it'll just stay there lying flat on the desk doing nothing... And if I find it turned off because I don't use it I'll just waste that couple seconds every half hour or so to turn it on again. It isn't something so troublesome.

4. thatcomicsguy

I disagree. Any frustration which doesn't need to be there is a mark off, and with Wacom I expect, perhaps unfairly, something close to perfection.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

My doubt is still there: if you use it you'll never find it turned off while you are working. If you don't really use it, why bother spending a hundred bucks on something you don't need just to lament it doesn't work the way you want afterwards? might as well buy a similar $15 Bluetooth or a gaming keypad from Amazon instead. They'll even fit better.
    There's plenty other options out there, this one is good if you expect to hold it in your off hand when you work. Keeping it lying on a desk or on a tablet display the whole time isn't worth it: it's not even particularly comfortable to be used that way honestly, auto turn off or not.

6. thatcomicsguy

The idea was a passing fancy anyway in the wake of a dying keyboard. I find with a good touch interface, zooming and rotating are natural on a well-equipped machine.

YVerloc likes this.
  7. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in a middle on the remote turning off. I actually never thought about it until I just read this thread. It doesn't shut off when you are using it. I guess the middle ground is they could make it not go to sleep when plugged in. That doesn't sound that hard to do. Hey I got them to put that fan thing in! Seriously, It only goes off when you dont use it for a bit. I just naturally hit the little button under to turn it back on. Maybe any button press should wake it up. That would probably work too.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

So far the 24 is great. However, I’ve noticed that it’s got pretty severe light-bleed. Severe when viewing an all black screen, but it’s obviously taken me a whole week of everyday use to notice it, so maybe it’s not severe after all. I just know it’s going to drive me crazy though.

9. YVerloc

Got my Art Pen today. I can't tell if it's crap or if something's wrong. Help!

It seems that the rotation sensing is wildly inaccurate. The brush orientation changes even though I'm not rolling the brush. While holding the pen 'steady' and not rotating the barrel at all, I can see the brush cursor roll around and change orientation. When I paint a series of brushstrokes while holding the pen's orientation steady, I nonetheless get brushstrokes with a wide variety of different orientations, maybe 90 degrees apart! There's zero angle jitter set on these brushes BTW.

What the hell? Is there some driver fix for this? Some setting I'm not grokking? Or am I expecting too much accuracy from barrel rotation? Seems like +-90 degrees error kinda moots the supposed benefits of brush rotation though, no? Google is being spectacularly unhelpful on this point. Anyone out there have experience with this pen?

10. YVerloc

Here's what my art pen does when I paint a series of strokes without rolling the barrel at all. You can see that the detected brush orientation varies wildly. In one of the strokes the brush even flipped over. I checked in the brush diagnostics, and indeed the tablet is reporting varying erroneous orientations for the brush. I'm getting +/- 5 degrees even when the brush is still! Is the brush defective? The tablet defective? Or is this as good as brush rotation gets?

DaniJoy, I watched your video demonstrating the art pen, but I honestly couldn't tell if your art pen has the same problem or not. Does it?

Attached Files:

thatcomicsguy likes this.