Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

saw today that the 32"touch is in stock. think ill hold off a bit before i upgrade to see what the reviews say. im pretty happy with my 27" so its hard to justify the expense for the bigger tablet..... who is getting the 32"?

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Is there such a thing as too big? Certainly in our small apartment there is... I would love to try one but I imagine my shoulder would feel like its getting a work out going from one side of the screen to the other haha

I am looking forward to reviews though.

thatcomicsguy and DaniJoy like this.
  3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

haha yeah its a monster! I work in a warehouse art studio so i've got the space. Its a nice to draw big, but im more excited about the resolution and color gamut, plus pro pen 2 is fantastic..... im already talking myself into this purchase lol. Lets see sell spare cintiq 27 and MSP16 and thats most of the cost of the new 32"...... I'm going to wait a while though, i dont want to pay the early adopter tax for gen 1 issues.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Brad dropped his review a five days ago and I missed it until now!

YVerloc, Neve and DaniJoy like this.
  5. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Create Now's is up also

Looks like he did something on the vesa and the fan noise, he said they patched it? Can anyone confirm?

6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

A 24 pro (non touch) version showed up on my desk this morning. I'm a couple of hours in. I spent a couple of weeks with a 22 before the surprise upgrade. My quick take? The 24 is 'faster'. I just spend half an hour manually building a complex selection mask using the polygon lasso, and it was shocking how much faster and easier this was to do on the new machine. It seems way more responsive to 'taps' with the pen, and the spatial accuracy seems higher too. I was expecting the screen to be nice, but I wasn't expecting it to feel this nice and this fast to use. Color me impressed.

7. YVerloc

Got around to trying out the expresskey remote. I'm a keyboard guy. I have never used the touch strips and keys on the side of my other Cintiqs, and I have always disabled them. That is, I have always disabled them after I have discovered that they can't be configured to rotate the brushes in photoshop. It's not like you can rotate them with the keyboard either, it's just that if I'm going to figure out how to use a different set of shortcut controls, it had better offer an improvement to my flow - to offset the pain of f*cking up my workflow while I adapt to the new controls. I don't have anything I want to use touchstrips for other than brush size and brush angle. That's it. I'm perfectly happy using square brackets for brush size, so if you want to lure me over to touchstrips/surface dials/expresskey remotes you'd better be packing realtime brush rotation. And Adobe never fails to disappoint.

Like many others, I've wanted a keyboard shortcut to rotate brushes in photoshop for literally twenty years. No joke, twenty years at least. And today I'm looking at a brand spanking new cintiq 24 pro with a brand spanking new expresskey remote, and part of me thinks "oh for sure they've got it figured out by now. Just think of all the money that went in to making that little remote. There's no way Wacom would bother if it weren't useful, right?"

Wrong

I know it's not Wacom's fault, it's Adobe's fault. But it IS kinda Wacom's fault. Why the hell to they keep wasting engineering dollars on useless controls? Why do Wacom keep tantalizing us with the possibility of controlling stuff in realtime if Adobe is never going to allow any useful-stuff-to-control-in-realtime? The whole thing is just a decades long disappointment. Imagine a movie theater chain that always hands you a pair of 3d glasses at the door, but never has any 3d movies to play. Insanity, right? Imagine they've been handing out 3d glasses for nonexistent 3d movies for thirteen years. How insane is that? But that's exactly what Wacom has been doing with their touchstrips all these years. Can't lay that at Adobe's feet, even though Adobe are practically world famous for failing to respond to feature requests from their professional users. We already know that Adobe doesn't care two sh*ts about artists; they make their dough from the giant army of Instagram Dilettantes. But Wacom has no such excuse. To continue to release, year after year, tools that are super useful in theory but nowhere near as useful in practice - insanity.

But other than the little expresskey-remote-shaped-nugget-of-concentrated-sadness-and-disappointment that is clipped magnetically to it's bezel, the Cintiq 24 pro rocks, hard.

8. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried the art pen? I know there isn't a pro pen 2 version of it but that might help you enjoy it more. For what it is the ExpressKey remote works. I understand what you're saying though.

9. YVerloc

yeah, I've ordered it. Should be here in a couple of days. It's strange to have to order it when I already have a tool right here that has an analog rotation control though, y'know?

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While I too would like to see Brush Rotation added....I wouldn't slight that on the remote or Wacom's end in honest. Microsoft has a Surface Dial that would be quite literally perfect for that specific function, yet they don't offer it either. And Clip Studio's little remote....same thing, thats not an option.....and the Apple Pencil of course doesn't have that functionally either. Its a feature that none of Wacom's competitors are implementing either, so I wouldn't blame the tool that the function isn't offered. Fact is.....the Express Key remote is leagues better then the Surface Dial or Clip Studio remote....or any of the jury rigged game pads. My only grievance with it is Wacoms refusal to make it bluetooth based since you need an adapter to use it with a USB-C device, and the USB-type A wireless plug is extremely easy to lose.

thatcomicsguy likes this.