Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One can only hope that this indicates a strong desire on their part to manufacture the absolute best device they are capable of; that they were unhappy with the early version of the new model and went back to tweak the design to perfection.

In the mean time... we wait.

2. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Huh. Just skimmed their 2018 annual report. Buried in the middle of the numbers is that it’s only got 34 million income before taxes. It claims higher up a ‘net profit’ of 774 million. What gives? Am I reading it wrong or am I missing the arcane financial knowledge that explains how your profit can be twenty times your income? If they really do only have 34 million operating income I can see why they might not have enough cash flow to pay for manufacturing new inventory. But if they’ve got nearly 800 million floating around then I’ve got no idea what gives. Whatever it is it’s turning into a major logjam.

3. thatcomicsguy

Had to dig around a bit to find those numbers, because, yeah, those sound way off. -I think I found the chart you're referring to and the number, $774 million, but it was under net sales, not net profit. So that makes more sense.

In any case, while getting a bit dizzy with the complexity of their more detailed quarterly reports, it doesn't look quite like cash flow is the problem causing the release date being ignored/pushed back. Beyond speculation, it's hard to say for sure.

I think the thing I found most interesting was that their pen tablet sales, (that is, just the regular tablets without screens), consistently beat out every other source of revenue, including Cintiqs and Mobiles combined.

4. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, they arent hurting for money. That isn't the issue. The issue here, they just can't get the QC together. I'm guessing there is either a core issue they can't fix or they can't source reliable panels. Either that or they discovered something else when they went under the hood, like maybe issues with the Cintiq engine, heat problems or whatever. The reality is, the engine just complicates something that would have been simple. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if its scrapped and they are rebuilding the new Cintiqs to be screen only. My guy at Wacom isn't even answering me anymore on delays. They don't know whats going on.

YVerloc and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Riiiiight. I totally forgot about their game-cartridge slot thing. Seems like biting off more than they could chew and more than was necessary.

I think it's safe to say that anybody who wants a big Cintiq isn't thinking about portability, or whatever the cartridge slot is suppose to satisfy. All in one-ness inspired by the Microsoft Surface Studio..? I don't know.

I was right on the fence for a good month between getting a Dell Canvas 27" and waiting until the new 24" Cintiq (with its glorious 4K) made its appearance in late Spring. (Ha ha!)

Well, Dell knocked $1000 off the price of their product for a couple of weeks, and combined with the fact that the Cintiq wasn't looking like it was actually going to become available any time soon, I jumped off that fence and am now drawing on the beautiful Dell Canvas. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damned close. I've become comfy with it's minor limitations and now find it quite satisfying to sit down at every day. But more than that.., IT EXISTS and I am able to work on it!

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Bosto 22U thick has Wacom firware on it so I was not in a hurry. I hope they dont give up on the Canvas. I was hoping to see more options, they dont market it at all. A shame really considering Dell's marketing reach. On the Cintiq, they announced it 5 months before it was supposed to be out and still missed launch (for the most part) by 8 months and counting. Like I said, they should just put out a pure Cintiq line without the extra garbage. When people are custom making acylic vesa stands for a $2k device you know you've done something really wrong.

7. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

I've started looking at wacom large screen alternatives like the XP Pen Artist 22E pro, and the Huion kamvas 22 pro - both got recently released, and they seem to work pretty awesome, ESPECIALLY for the price.

Anyone on here got a chance to try one of them? thoughts? Cause With the way Wacom is moving right now, I don't see myself going back to them for at leas a few years.

they're like half a year late on product releases, when they DO release, there are problems (which shouldn't be present in something that expensive). at this point I suspect the 32" was just a pipe dream. and I'm certainly still not a fan of this whole all-in-one form factor they're trying for. maybe the surface studio 2 will have better luck.

@CreateNowSleepLater I'm pretty curious about this Bosto 22U you've mentioned - is this a new tablet, or something that's flown completely under the radar? cause if it's using wacom tech, It might be worth a look, for me.

YVerloc likes this.
  8. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

godofiron likes this.
  9. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually just watched that some hours ago! I think I'm definitely investing in the XP-Pen, but I'll check out the other thread as well - thanks for the heads up!

Art_N00b likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Bosto have somehow updated some of their tablets to use Wacom drivers so users don't need to use Bosto own drivers.
    An interesting tactic - the Bosto 13HD seems quite popular right now because of this. Wacom's own 13HD is now in a very crowded market with a large number of very good competitors whose specs are very very similar.

Art_N00b and godofiron like this.