Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've decided to go with the Dell, I think.

Here are my hand-wrung, over-thought reasons...

1. When sitting over a board at a comfortable distance, the pixel density doesn't actually bother me or look all that bad on my old 21UX. And the Canvas will be noticeably better. (The 21UX runs at 95 ppi. The Canvas at 108.)

2. Physical screen inches matter. When I worked on paper, I'd be looking at around of 14" north/south paper. The Cintiq Pro 24 is actually shorter than my old 21UX. Comics are tall, not wide.

Here's a breakdown...

Screen Height Comparison
    Cintiq pro 24 - 11.7"
    Dell Canvas - 13.24"
    Cintiq 21UX - 12.6"

3. I don't like the Cintiq pens. I've never understood the appeal or wisdom behind the giant Wacom wand. Didn't everybody learn to draw with regular pencils and pens like I did? Now, this old dog can certainly learn new tricks, but I'm opposed to doing so simply because some genius decided to arbitrarily create a visually memorable corporate fashion statement. The Dell stylus looks closer to the style of pen/pencil I'm practiced with.

4. I'm saving a pile of cash. Not just the difference between the Cintiq and the Dell, but also I won't have to buy a replacement computer to drive 4K. Looks like around a total $1600 I can keep in my wallet.

5. I don't want to have to wait around until July when the Cintiq would show up. -Mid June is when the reseller gets their consignment from Japan, (maybe). Then there's two weeks of shipping time once they send them out.

6. I haven't seen any reviews which demonstrate that Wacom has gotten their touch interface to work properly, and Dell has proven customer service.

7. I can always upgrade in the future.

So... that's where I'm at. Just have to prod the sales mechanism along and get this thing delivered.

2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

@thatcomicsguy, that all sounds reasonable to me. Plus I don't always trust future "in stock" dates.

In defense of thicker Wacom pens, the first time I picked one up, I was impressed by how it could just sit in my hand without me having to squeeze it. That's good for the blood flow (muscles lose circulation when they flex). The combination of thickness, flare out and soft material make for some serious comfort.

I lament that the Pro Pen 2 does not work on devices like the HP and Samsung.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

I figure there must be some essential quality that I'm too stubborn to recognize. So many people love them. It's just me, and I know it. :)

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Add me to the people who think Cintiq pens are too fat! :D Hand and eye prefer fine and slender.

Wierdninja and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't mind the bigger wacom pens. Don't mind the slimmer Ntrig pen or the S-pen. Ergonomically, I don't seem to care much. But aesthetically? This is one area where I positively crave skeuomorphism. I keep hoping and hoping that staedtler will release a Noris digital Ntrig and Wacom version. Even better, a Staedtler Mars Graphic stylus. Something about a pencil that just makes me sigh with happiness. I'm seriously considering buying an extra surface pro stylus, disassembling it, and sanding facets into the pen barrel if the wall is thick enough.

Wierdninja likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just a heads up for those thinking of ordering the CP24, apparently air bubbles can develop after the first week of use:

[​IMG]

Make sure to use/inspect yours thoroughly in your studio setup!

Also might want to consider ordering through a retailer that allows returns/exchanges within at least 14 days from purchase.

thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.
  7. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Another post in that thread said he ordered two and both have the same issue, that is very worrying.

8. thatcomicsguy

So far, my Dell Canvas has done nothing but impress me. -Excellent build quality, and the screen is amazing. This is a beautiful machine, with a pixel density high enough that I have to really lean in to see individual dots.

I've ironed out most of the kinks which come with setting up a new system, (re-built my studio machine so that it now runs Windows 10, which is a day-long job in and of itself) and I start my first major work on it over the next day or so.

The price has gone back up again, though, on the Dell site. I wouldn't want to buy now at its current sticker. But if another promotional deal comes along, it's a pretty great deal considering what you get.

Oh! -And I discovered yesterday that my old Penabled styluses from all my old TPC's work on it without any extra calibration needed. Even the nibs are interchangeable with the new Dell stylus. The only major difference is that the Dell stylus has a much lower IAF. It's a damned nice pen! I might start using it on my Samsung.

I'm still not quite set up enough to want to do a video of some kind, but when I do, I think the lighting in my new place ought to make for a really good looking demo. I think half the reason the Cintiq Pro 24 looks so good in demos has more to do with lighting and skilled videographers than with the hardware itself.

doobiedoobiedum and stoneseeker like this.
  9. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

With the old DTK pens you can get a Classic Pen. That has a thin barrel and is lighter. I use one on my 24OG.

If the Pro Pen 2 is like the Pro Pen 1 then the back end of the pen is noticeably lighter than the Intuos 4/5 and old Cintiq grip pens. I'd say that's a bigger issue with the old pens than the thickness.

And yeah, as others have said, they give them thick barrels because that's technically more ergonomic (requires a lighter grip).

10. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the latest? When is the 32" and 24" touch supposed to be released?