Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Essentially, between the two, the 4K is what I'd be paying an extra $1260 for. -Not to mention, probably upgrading my studio computer in order to run it; I don't like the idea of having everything on a single machine. In the end, it'd probably be an extra $2000 or so when all is said and done.

Is that worth it?

As an experiment, I realized that one of my old laptops, with a 14" screen at 1280 x 800 dpi, is essentially the same as what the Dell Canvas would offer in terms of pixel density.

It's workable, for sure, but it's not 4K magic. What is 4K magic worth?

(Oh, and for the record, my old Tecra M4 is still better than any yuppie Surface. If it hadn't died, that is. Rest In Peace, old friend...)

2. thatcomicsguy

Surprisingly, the shipping from Vistek is quoted to me as $38 from Toronto to Nova Scotia. Pretty reasonable, I thought. The REAL shipping cost, (from Japan to Toronto) is baked into the resale price, which is one of the reasons it's not a cheap purchase.

But the service offered by Staples is attractive. The wait time, however... I kind of need a studio machine now.

Man! I'm really torn on this. -I'd now have to actively cancel my Dell order since I talked to my bank and pushed it ahead.

I'm inclined to just let it go through and look at 4K as my next step up in a year or two. Something to look forward to, and maybe realize that it's not something I even want. Dell Canvas users seem to be universally happy with their machines.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh the throes of hardware purchases, haha!

I'd say go with your gut. The back of the head is smarter than the front. After many years of (over)analysis, I've realized specs aren't the be-all-end-all of a device.

But did I hear right, you are buying a new tower?! This is crazy! So in less than one year, our diehard 90s-era tablet guru will have switch his entire hardware lineup. What's next, a new phone? :D

[​IMG]

4. thatcomicsguy

What? No.

However, I definitely seem to be leveling up lately in the Game of Life; heck, I just bought a car last week (like a real live grown up) to accommodate my moving to a house out of town. All of this change is due to external pressures; my old building was recently sold and the new owners had ideas as to what to do with it that I didn't agree with, so I bailed. That has led to an entire cascade of new and generally very positive changes.

However, I don't see myself going back to a tower solution. I'd just look for a reliable eBay laptop capable of outputting 4K. I've not looked at the options yet, (since I still haven't decided on going with the Cintiq or the Dell). Towers are for people who need a lot more crunch than your average raster artist like me; laptops are great in that they have built in power conditioning and fail safety during electricity outages.

I can, however, definitively maintain that I will never get a cell phone. :)

5. Marty

Oh, I must have mis-interpreted "new studio machine" then. (Bummer, I was already getting PC Partpicker fired up, haha. :D)

Depending on your definition of "4K capable", wouldn't your existing N9P be sufficient if you just want to be able output at 2160p?

However, if it's for rendering graphics at 4K which laptops on eBay were you thinking of? (I can't think of any sub-$1000 CAD laptops that could do reasonable job at it.)

6. thatcomicsguy

It seems any 3rd Generation core i3, i5, i7 machine with integrated Intel Graphics can drive a 4k screen no problem. Those started coming out in 2012, so you can get a decent machine able to drive a 4K Cintiq on eBay for around $3-400 CAD.

That's not too shabby.

Huh. I bet you could fit one of those in the Cintiq Engine slot if you got a bit creative!

7. thatcomicsguy

Sure, but Like I said, I don't want to be driving my main studio using my backpack machine. I prefer to have a dedicated stay-at-home computer mounted out of the way. Redundancy is king.

One of these would do the trick quite handily:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Latitu...971866?hash=item1a4d983ada:g:ZXkAAOSwai5a15vI

You can put in 16Gb of ram.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

Ah interesting...so an old Ivy Bridge or Haswell machine. But wouldn't that be a downgrade from your usual performance on the N9P?

Like on your larger (and more expensive) drawing tablet, you'd be more limited in canvas size, layers, and brushes etc. than on your portable. :confused:

(Maybe it's gamer thing, but for me, whenever fire up the Cintiq I expect "ultra-mode" haha.)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

I know how you feel. The Mother Ship is traditionally supposed to carry the big guns.

But honestly, the state of tech blew past the power boundaries several years ago where all my limitations lived. I've not run into any barriers with my current studio machine, (an old Core i5 Dell Latitude e6410, maxed out at 8 Gigs ram). 16 Gigs might be nice to have if SAI 2 ever comes along, but for now is pretty much overkill. -I mean, with 16Gb, I could store a dozen movies in active memory and still have enough room to draw and paint press-ready work!

We're spoiled these days. -Not that I'm complaining, but you were right when you said that specs are kind of over rated these days.

Except maybe with 4K... That stuff looks GOOD.

10. Marty

With 4K displays and older processors, just be wary of a couple of things. First, Ivy Bridge 4K support HDMI was very spotty if I recall, as Intel had to go through several rounds of driver updates (and I'm not even sure they got all the bugs ironed out). With Haswell things got better, but even then, if you're using HDMI you'll be limited to 30Hz which I personally really notice, even when just drawing. I just feels off.

So if you can, try to get a laptop with DisplayPort 1.2 output and discrete graphics, so you can hit 4K60 without issues. Otherwise you may be spending your time wrestling and hair-pulling, rather enjoying the shiny new thing in front of you. ;)

thatcomicsguy and Art_N00b like this.