Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, I think I know ppl who requested 32" 16:9 drawing surface: Car designers. Back in school, we sketched cars on 12"x 36" Vincent vellum pads (24"x36" pads split long ways). We sketched standing up, using full extension of our arms. This is the proper way to get those taut lines and curves with your arms. 32" 16:9 pen tablet gets you closest to that long and wide form factor we are use to drawing on.

[​IMG]

And with all those car designers out there at the big three and all the satellite studios on the west coast, not to mention all the JP and European studios and schools, prospects of selling 32" 16:9 pen tablets aren't so crazy...

Starlight5, kvoram, YVerloc and 3 others like this.
  2. YVerloc

YVerloc Pen Pal - Newbie

Not just car designers. Architectural renderers, industrial designers, actual architects, professional illustrators. Using the full range of motion of the arm is how drawing is supposed to be done.

The digital art business is obsessed with 'sketching', as they see this as the most lucrative aspect of art making. Amateurs sketch. Dilettantes and wannabes sketch. Professionals also sketch as part of their workflow, usually. More people sketch, more often, than actually turn their sketches into completed works. So devices that are sized for 'sketching' dominate the market.

A 'responsible' market supplies products that meet the whole range of needs. It supplies rare items for the rare times those items are needed. The traditional art supply market is an example of a responsible market. Not many people need a big 4'x3' watercolour block. But if you do need one your local arts supply store probably carries one. Can you imagine if Moulin D'Arches only made little 8 1/2" x 11" watercolour blocks? After all, it's probably their most lucrative format. Why not focus their business on their best products and cut out the underperforming products? Why? Because Moulin D'Arches has a reputation to uphold, and needs to serve all their customers not just their most lucrative ones in order to uphold that reputation.

Wacom, Dell, Microsoft, Acer, Asus et al feel no such pressure. Until recently, they have not served their art customers responsibly. Instead of making products that serve a wide range of needs, they just make products for their target demographic (sketchers), and leave the rest of us out in the cold. Until recently, that is. The Microsoft surface and the new 32" Wacom seem to signal a change in attitude. I hope that change in attitude carries over to mobile devices too. It's not the case that the only people who need 'portable' devices are sketchers. Some of us need large format devices we can carry around too. And when the digital art market starts acting responsibly, instead of constantly trying to out-apple-apple, we'll finally get such devices.

3. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to derail the thread, but when is the Dell Canvas going to be available? I'm done with Wacom.

4. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

No one knows. They have had a few delays. There is a thread over in the Dell side of the forums. Depending on price though, the 24" might be a better option I think. I do think you will be able to grab the canvas on sale/coupons and such since its Dell.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  5. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, Avalon. My 27QHD has gone for warranty repairs, and I think I will sell it on when it returns. I will likely replace it with the Dell.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm hoping to be in a position to update my studio in the near-ish future.

For a while, I was looking exclusively at that Dell Canvas, but then along came the 15.6" Samsung Notebook 9 Pro which would provide a welcome refresh for my backpack studio, (which easily accounts for at least 50% of my work flow), -and probably at around the same price or even a bit less than the Dell, (projected to be $1700 USD when it finally arrives).

And now Wacom is offering some cool new products, (thus bumping their older ones down the price totem pole).

It sounds like there are going to be some interesting choices to make come Fall!

I'm hoping to be able to swing a $2000 CAD budget if the next few months go smoothly for yours truly!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Fluffyfurball and YVerloc like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

..waits for the picture of a german shepherd sleeping on the 32 inch cintiq.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...waits for the picture of a german shepherd...>>

...More like a cat, sharpening its claws on the frame...!

10. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting write up and compare against the Dell:

thatcomicsguy likes this.