Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So with ports we don't have full spec list, but from the video review:

[​IMG]

from left to right we have: miniDP, miniHDMI (an odd choice vs full size), USB-C, Cintiq power, AIO power, USB-C, and Ethernet (hopefully Gigabit 1000Mbps).

I'd say if the mDP is v1.2a and HDMI 2.0, you should good for at least the next 2-3 years. But after HDR 4K120Hz displays become common professionally (maybe in next 4-5 years), then you'd need to use DP1.3/1.4 and HDMI 2.1.

(And if you plan to upgrade to a blisteringly fast fiber-optic connection, or run a high-speed NAS, then you may actually require full Gigabit speeds on the ethernet port.)

However, if the USB-C ports are TB3 enabled (unlikely imo), that would alleviate the above concerns and you should be good for next 5 years.

Otherwise, yeah, you're probably looking at an upgrade in 3 years to keep current with the latest professional peripherals.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    siddhartth and neongolden like this.
  2. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

Stupid design decisions in my opinion. The 24" should have been like the surface pro 4 in thickness (or even double the thickness) but not this silly 1970s looking device!

Then again Wacom is bat **** crazy! WTF are these tube things in their logo? Too ugly!

[​IMG]

godofiron and YVerloc like this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, industrial design is not their strong suit. Graphic design neither. Nor pricing or business strategy. Not manufacturing or distribution...****. What are they good at again? They've got a good sensor tech (the same tech they've had for decades) I guess. That's about it.

siddhartth and dumbo like this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

May be it's a Japanese thing, and we are not sensitized to their aesthetics. or may be it is are really ugly.

Can someone confirm if the newer cintiq range i.e, Cintiq pro line up from 13" to 32", do they have a display refresh rate of 120hz or is it similar to the common 60Hz. I used to think it's not as important. But after seeing what iPad's promotion display is capable of. That's beautiful. Lag is non existent.

I know that Wacom's pen stroke digitization frequency is phenomenal 300Hz (much higher than Apple's 120Hz) which gives you 95% accuracy in capturing the details of your handwriting (compared to 100% on paper). But with a pro motion display our eyes have a real-time feed back without lag of our strokes. That will put Cintiq pro range in truly professional category.

Because as of now there's little to justify buying Cintiq over upcoming ipadpro which might have a iphonex like aesthetics and an improved apple pencil. I already have a surface pro4 and a tower pc for full desktop experience. I am only after the most realistic most comfortable handwriting experience on a display, that will help me get into calligraphy.

I will buy whatever product that offers me that luxury, doesn't matter it runs windows or ios, or hooks into something that has an OS. Also it doesn't matter if it's light and mobile or office desk based stationary solution.

5. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

6. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

@siddhartth Well for calligraphy, you'll be happy with the current iPad pros.
    If that's your only goal, then I wouldn't even look at wacom's Cintiq line since you already have surface pro4.

7. siddhartth

The new iPadX range won't be available till june, and i am not sure if they will improve the pencil or not, with a more thinner and grippy (rubberized) nib then the current pencil. Also, being a tabletpc iPadx may slow down in a year or two. Cintiq on the other hand will be good for a decade if i m not wrong.

I do think that i might end up with both, one now and one a year later.

And about that sp4 i have it no longer recognisesmy pen due to a crack in the corner but touch is working fine. It's usable as a touchPC but not a pentablet. And it can not be repaired in India.

I think it will be very hard for anyone to resist a true motion display with near bezelless screen compatible with improved pencil.
    On the other hand, 300Hz digiization rate of EMR will be most realistic capture of my handwriting.

May be it will be Samsung that will combine a 120Hz refresh oled display with a 300Hz EMR digitizer, and the history will be made.

8. icecoldart

I see, then maybe get yourself a cintiq pro 13 or 16?
    You'll save a LOT of money if you'll pick a refurbished one from wacom's store.

I personally wouln't go for mobile studio pro unless you'll get an extended warranty, as time and time again wacom
    proves that their engineers still have to learn a thing or two ;)

9. siddhartth

Yeah never a Wacom studio..... I just wanna take notes for research and academic purposes and then start learning calligraphy and may be a lil bit of sketching at a totally amateur level.. the only time i get to sit is at my desk in my room. While on my everyday 10 hour work day i get no time to open a book. That's why i was thinking about the Cintiq. I find it highly dissatisfying when handwriting i see on my screen is not like my writing on a paper. I was hoping if Apple can achieve that 300Hz digitizer rate that Wacom EMR digitizers in cintiq and tabS3 have, Until then i can do slow caligraphy practice on an Ipad but not real speedy legible note taking.

I have asked Teoh from parkablogs.com to see how much of his original handwriting ipadpro can capture. If he says even 90% i will be more than happy to buy one.

Also Cintiqpro13 is cheaper than ipadpro 256 gb wifi only +pencil combo in India.

Apple products are sold at most expensive prices in India. While wacom13 pro is just $100 more expensive in India compared to American prices.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. icecoldart

I think that folks in Brazil will disagree about India's apple product prices being most expensive ;)

"Fortunately" enough in Europe we pay less but it's still a lot more expensive than in US.

I know that you opt for a digital device, but I personally would love to find some time and learn calligraphy the old school way.
    With ink and paper, as good as cintiqs and iPads are they still cannnot match that feeling that pen/quill/brush and paper give you :)

For example i LOVE inking with my Winsor&Newton Series 7 kolinsky sable brush, and it's only "ok" in clip studio paint or photoshop.

Here's few old drawing from Inktober 2016.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyhow, good luck with whatever your choice will be, in the end it's about YOU being happy with what you get, not me ;) cheers!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018